• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be happy with our recording laws

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Maryland sux.

http://www.abc2news.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=22384@wmar.web.entriq.net&navCatId=14

Speed, and get a gun pulled on you!

Also, fun scenario time, given that the "state trooper" was not in uniform, did not identify himself for a certain amount of time, was in an unmarked car, and was aggressively approaching you with firearm out, what would you have done, if anything?

Edited to add:
I actually haven't looked into Maryland's laws, so I do not know if audio recording without consent is actually illegal....but then that camera was in plain sight....

HeesBonafide

imported post

WOW! I would have backed up too...regardless if I saw the gun or not -- a plain clothes cop, unmarked car, pulls up like that and get's out -- I am going to get out the situation asap to avoid it.

Thanks for posting.

3/325

imported post

To round out the scenario, don't forget that this hypothetical encounter begins with you flying down the highway at speeds of 100+ mph and popping wheelies.

That kinda puts a different spin on the whole thing.

The officer exits his vehicle with pistol drawn and pointed at the ground at all times. "State Police" should have been the first words out of his mouth, true, but Evel Knievel wasn't exactly minding his own innocent business.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Good point 3/325, but do realize it sort of looks like that officer has a vendetta against riders...most of the guys riding aren't looking to HARM others, even though there is that danger while popping wheelies, no rider wants to wipe out and hurt themselves or others...I really don't see the need for pulling out the pistol, he hasn't tried to outrun a police officer...plus there was a MARKED car behind him after a couple seconds...the unmarked guy just wanted to go for the catch so bad....

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Lets ask someone from the Brady Campaign what they think....

What need was there for the cop to pull his gun? You just don't exit a vehicle with a gun in hand.... and not identify yourself IMMEDIATELY...

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Hmm appealing, but that is something I can learn anywhere else...it isn't really hands-on. Reminds me of those tests you take for getting an instruction permit (driving)..it's all on computer just tests knowledge.

Edited to add:

Let's not forget the SEARCH AND SEIZURE of his computers over the damn video....

SaintJacque

centermass

imported post

I was stationed in maryland, and a co worker actually knew alot of cops. MD is good ol boys country and the fact cpl are hard to get. I honestly not sure what I would have done, but I am taught see a weapon pull a weapon...just not too smart on police side

joshcdc

imported post

If I saw an armed man approaching me aggressively who I did not identify as law enforcement by his words or uniform, I would 1 get behind cover as possible, 2 draw and point, 3 Give a warning (Drop the gun or I'll shoot) and 4 Fire center mass until the threat had been neutralized. In that order.LEOs need to identify themselves, in Washington I think I would have a self defense case if a LEO behaved in this fashion and got shot. I'm sure I would also have a very bad day though, cop killers usually do.

END_THE_FED

imported post

I feel the LEO's actions here are extremely reckless. he endangered his own life and that of the biker.

1st he cuts in front of this guy in an unmarked car.I suspect it may have been the officers personal vehicle and he may have been off duty. (don't most unmarked duty cars have special flashing head and taillights?) he did this knowing that a fully marked patrol car was arriving on seen. why didn't he let the patrol car pull him over first. Then he could pull in front to offer assistance.

As another poster suggested I think this guy was just aching to make this bust.(perhaps no one ever told him the story of the two bulls.)

Now the first can be easily forgiven but then.

When he gets out of the car he doesn't identify himself. He has no visible badge. Most plain cloths officers i have seen wear a badge around their neck, tucked under the shirt and pull it out before making contact with someone.

From the time it appears to me he is reaching for a weapon to the time he identifies himself as LE four to five seconds goes by and he puts his hands on the guys bike.
now five seconds may not sound like a long time but pause for a moment, count to five. now ask yourself, would you wait that long to respond to an advancing threat?

This LEO needs a very strong lecture from his superiors. Perhaps a short suspension without pay would be appropriate. He needs to now how close he may have come to either getting shot or having to shoot someone who was just trying to defend himself against an apparent attack.

I am glad it ended the way it did things could have gotten very ugly for everyone involved. hopefully the LEO will take it as a lesson learned and the biker will have these ridiculous taping charges dropped.He should also have all his property returned immediately and be compensated for any damage done. What kind of judge would watch that video and issue a search warrant. I am curious what the LEA/DA told the judge to convince him to sign off on a search of this mans home.

Also lets keep in mind that even if you throw out the fact you can always record LEO. You don't need to get consent to record someone else you just need to inform them that they are being recorded. This guy had a camera on the top of his helmet it wasn't hidden at all it was easily visible. I think it is reasonable to say that if the average person saw that helmet they would assume they are being recorded.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I don't see where they can get him on the "illegal audio recording of a police officer" since he was recording beforehand, and the officer placed himself in the view of the camera.

jbone

imported post

All I see is one more BS topic clogging the WA forum. General Discussion would have been a better place. He wasn’t even OC; just riding let an ass putting others on the road at risk (the real subject).

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Well a lot of the guys here like to record activity, and I thought this might be something of an interest to them.

I apologize for taking up a couple minutes of your super busy day, here's a complimentary 5 minute time freeze. :p

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jbone wrote:
All I see is one more BS topic clogging the WA forum. General Discussion would have been a better place. He wasn’t even OC; just riding let an ass putting others on the road at risk (the real subject).

So now we have people complaining that they click a link and it's too much work!

On other forums they complain that they are forced to click a link to read and that is too much work!

:banghead:

jbone

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I apologize for taking up a couple minutes of your super busy day, here's a complimentary 5 minute time freeze. :p
Thanks! Believe me I can use it.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

jbone wrote:

I feel this is a reasonable topic for the forum. Sure the situationisn't of someone OCing but anyone could reasonably replace the speeding bike with a gun on the hip (not that the gun is a crime. but some LEO's see it as one.)and have the same turn ofevents play out.

I have seen were in some states the LEO's try to twist a wire tapping law into something that it is not intended for. This guy is guilty of maybe making the police look not so professional and now they aregoing to show him.

EDIT: I removed not so nice picture

jbone

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
jbone wrote:
All I see is one more BS topic clogging the WA forum. General Discussion would have been a better place.

So now we have people complaining that they click a link and it's too much work!

On other forums they complain that they are forced to click a link to read and that is too much work!

:banghead:

Complaining no! Observsation/Comment yes! If you took a second to stop beating you head on the wall you would also notice that like others I took the time to even comment on the subject.

"He wasn’t even OC; just riding let an ass putting others on the road at risk (the real subject)"

That wasmy opinion,what I felt was the real subject matter,after all that ismost of what is posted by members!I even suggested a better place for the topic.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

The law only covers where a reasonable expectation of privacy exists. None exists on a public thoroughfare.

It's a smear campaign. I expect nothing less from MD.