• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Be happy with our recording laws

Matt85

imported post

i watched the video and im really glad it was not me on that bike! i agree with the above posters in that the officer made a grave mistake in not anouncing that he was a police officer before drawing his firearm. it would have been easy to open the door and shout "STOP! POLICE!" (preferably with badge in view)then if he feels like hes in danger, he could draw his sidearm.

-matt

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Happened with me, undercover vehicle walkingthan looking down a barrel of a gun when an officer hadn't identified himself for a few seconds it could have been a vary different and scary situation. I was openly carrying.

Capn Camo

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
I don't see where they can get him on the "illegal audio recording of a police officer" since he was recording beforehand, and the officer placed himself in the view of the camera.

There is no such thing as illegally recording a police officer.

Does ANYONE HERE EVER read a law? CAN anyone here read? Or are we just content in believing the nonsense posted here? Deliberately attempting to leave false impressions about the law?

USC TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 119 > §2511

(d) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of any State."

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I don't mean to talk down to LEO's but that officer is an idiot. Cuts the guy off (unmarked car), gets out of the car and draws his sidearm and walks towards the guy the motorcycle (but doesn't identiffy himself for a good five seconds).

LEO's need to be careful out there and identify themselves immidiately...not five seconds later while cming at someone with their gun drawn.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Capn Camo wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:
I don't see where they can get him on the "illegal audio recording of a police officer" since he was recording beforehand, and the officer placed himself in the view of the camera.

There is no such thing as illegally recording a police officer.

Does ANYONE HERE EVER read a law? CAN anyone here read? Or are we just content in believing the nonsense posted here? Deliberately attempting to leave false impressions about the law?

USC TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 119 > § 2511

(d) It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not acting under color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or of any State."

I usually don't respond in such a manner, but in this case I believe it's warranted.

You CONSISTENTLY voice your WRONG ideas about laws and how they effect people. YOU are going to get people in trouble if they believe what you say.

S T F U.

If you don't know what you're talking about, and giving BAD 'legal' advice.. S T F U.

You quoted federal law. There is also state and local law.

It's idiots like you that give 'legal advice' that get people charged with felonies because they 'heard it on the internet'.

They didn't charge him under federal law, they charged him under STATE law (erroneously, IMO).

kyle.huff

[no reference to THAT Kyle Huff...], Washington, U
imported post

After watching that video, my first instinct upon seeing that guy jump out the car and draw his gun - being a crotch-rocket rider myself (without the interstate wheelies) - oddly enough was not to reach for my ever-near sidearm. My first instinct would have been to pull back on the handle-bars and position my weight over the rear tire while pegging the throttle - and as the bike wants to go, it should be free to do so - hurling a blue ball of Suzuki at the assailants midsection like a 600cc tiddlywink. More than likely, I would have been shot-at, maybe even hit, but that is less certain than the aggressive approach of the person exiting the vehicle that is not clearly identified as police, neither was the aggressor.

Due note, that is of-course all predicated on the fact that I don't wheelie, or do other dangerous acts that ask for trouble - as it usually comes knocking, which would throw my self-righteousness indignation right under the bus.

However, looking at it from the officers position, he could have perceived the reverse motion as an attempt at evasion, which usually results in a draw-down if other lives are at risk (which, I would argue they were, being as this guy was being reckless).. However, I find it utter reprehensible for a plain-clothed officer to escalate to a draw-down on someone who knows not their intent, affiliation or authority.

Another however (yes, I'm a windbag today), in some states, a civilian may be authorized to intervene in a situation where a felony or other types of nefarious acts have been committed, or in defense of the state or an individual in threat of their life.. (this whole 'however' is a stretch in this situation, I know)

The moral of my post was really that, in that exact situation, I would feel the need to hesitate from taking any action because of the illegal activity (which would have been compounded if I also armed while doing these acts, I think). However, if I was in this situation without provocation (for instance, a case of mistaken identity) and a plain-clothed officer jumped out of an unmarked car and failed to identify himself right away, I think I would have been shot for sure, but not the only guy bleeding.

And not because I dislike LEOs; I have no problem with properly identified LEOs.. it is because I cannot assume every aggressive, armed road-rager who jumps out of their car is a plain-clothed officer (or recently, an off-duty officer, like in the case just the other day in Oregon I think it was)

Bottom line; wheelies are cool, and undeniably fun ----- on a dirt-bike, in a designated area. Stunts, wheelies and the like on the open road is a danger to others. Some chicks dig wheelies; but I don't know any chicks who dig twisted-metal and hamburger-meat wrapped around a van full of devastated - or even deceased - children. I think this guy needs a lesson in risk vs. benefit assessment - in addition to good lawyer.

Oh yeah, and the whole video taping charge is a load.. And, lets ride! safely.. which means armed..

letsrideocresized.jpg

Edited: because I am an idiot sometimes.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Hey hey hey, what kind of rig you got there, brand, and cost? I was looking for one too but left side since I am on a rocket too. Tucking my jacket behind the handgun gets kind of uncomfortable, and jackets aren't always that comfortable either....

<<<<<<<<<<<< BTW; put location here (city)?

Going back to the original topic, speeding and stuntin alone isn't something that needs a gun to be drawn for (given those are the only offenses). If he was worried he might take off, should have drove in at a more aggressive angle to pin him (with marked trooper behind), maybe he thinks motorcycles have reverse with all 6 gears???

kyle.huff

[no reference to THAT Kyle Huff...], Washington, U
imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Hey hey hey, what kind of rig you got there, brand, and cost? I was looking for one too but left side since I am on a rocket too. Tucking my jacket behind the handgun gets kind of uncomfortable, and jackets aren't always that comfortable either....

<<<<<<<<<<<< BTW; put location here (city)?

Going back to the original topic, speeding and stuntin alone isn't something that needs a gun to be drawn for (given those are the only offenses). If he was worried he might take off, should have drove in at a more aggressive angle to pin him (with marked trooper behind), maybe he thinks motorcycles have reverse with all 6 gears???
I'm not sure if it is because I have been up for over 71 hours or what, but I was almost certain I had no idea what you said in the first paragraph.. but I think I figured it out.. I think you mean the holster - It is a BlackHawk Tactical Holster Platform with a BlackHawk SERPA CQC Positive Retention holster (I purchased the SERPA separate, with the paddle + belt clip), I have attached 2 picatinny rails which allow me to attach my spare mag holders, which I also purchased separately, I don't remember who makes them but they come with a belt clip that is removable, and with the belt-clip removed it slides on a picatinny rail.

The thigh-rig is very comfortable, and very adjustable - I wear it mostly when out dirt-riding (technical trails in thick forest with lots of crashes).. I like the modular design so I can wear the spare-mag holder with the belt clip and dress-clothes/leather holster, or on the rig.

My only trouble is, I don't have much diameter on my thighs, so in a car it is uncomfortable.

The holster it-self is actually for a 92FS, which I modified to fit the 90-two. I also enjoy long walks on the beach.

Here is a pic of the rig itself before I cleaned up my dremel scuffs:
dscf3721r.jpg

I like it mostly because it is has the 2 leg straps, and the 2 belt straps. very positive attachment. Also, the hole-pattern is designed so you can alter the orientation/skew of the holster by a few degrees, and the platform itself is ambi-dexterous as it is not attached to a belt, but attaches to any belt.

As for the price and vendor, I think I got the platform from policehq.com for like $50 and I can't remember with the rest - I purchased it prior to the rig by a few months..

anyway, regarding the city; I felt it was more important to make sure people know that my screen-name is not some kind of sick mockery or fandom than to let them know what city I live in - anyway, I am in and around Vancouver.

If I could legally draw-down on a stunster who pulls that carp on a busy road, I would. It shows complete disregard for other human life. In secluded places, sure, go for it, I couldn't care less. but when you have to weave through traffic to get it done, or you risk flipping a bus when you wipe-out beside them - you are about on-par with a drunk driver in my opinion - (which, incidentally, I think they should hobble drunk drivers like in Steven Kings: Misery..)

btw: does any crotch-rocket have reverse in any gear? I have never on any of my steeds..

killchain

imported post

Just wow.

I don't know the situation of why that guy was stopped and all that, so I'm not going to comment on it specifically, but if I was ran off the road, and some dood rolled up on me with a pistol drawn, didn't identify himself and told me to get out of my truck?

It would probably turn out bad.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

killchain wrote:
Just wow.

I don't know the situation of why that guy was stopped and all that, so I'm not going to comment on it specifically, but if I was ran off the road, and some dood rolled up on me with a pistol drawn, didn't identify himself and told me to get out of my truck?

+1. I wonder sometimes if LEO's know or are tranied to identify themselves immidiately before they do anything if they are driving an unmarked vehicle in street clothes.

killchain

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
killchain wrote:
Just wow.

+1. I wonder sometimes if LEO's know or are tranied to identify themselves immidiately before they do anything if they are driving an unmarked vehicle in street clothes.
My first instinct (assuming I were a police officer) would to be to shout, "POLICE!" You know, establishing control and authority and all of that.

Bersa.380

imported post

This type of crap is happening more and more each day ..... it's a big reason I do not trust cops ..... that officer in the video had no right to do what he did, since when does "speeding" justify a gun in your face, don't forgot we have a Everett Police officer on trial for MURDER due to a attitude like that ! Will the day come when you are pulled over a cop will shoot you to death for speeding ??????

killchain

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
This type of crap is happening more and more each day ..... it's a big reason I do not trust cops ..... that officer in the video had no right to do what he did, since when does "speeding" justify a gun in your face, don't forgot we have a Everett Police officer on trial for MURDER due to a attitude like that ! Will the day come when you are pulled over a cop will shoot you to death for speeding ??????
YEAH. Because this cop did this THEY MUST ALL DO IT.

And gun owners must be BLOODTHIRSTY SAVAGES because a few gun owners decided to commit murders.

Please quit stereotyping all cops because of the stupid actions of a few bad cops.

Set an example. This "stereotyping" behavior is the same crap the Brady Campaign does on handgun owners.

Bersa.380

imported post

killchain wrote:
Bersa.380 wrote:

And gun owners must be BLOODTHIRSTY SAVAGES because a few gun owners decided to commit murders.

Please quit stereotyping all cops because of the stupid actions of a few bad cops.

Set an example. This "stereotyping" behavior is the same crap the Brady Campaign does on handgun owners.
Taking my comments a little personal, eh ? As they say the truth hurts, you can't realy get miffed about this, the difference between a cop and me is a cop has a license to shoot you sorry butt if he likes and justiy his actions later. This cop was in an un-marked car, plain clothes, no badge and waving a dam gun ..... get a grip

killchain

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
killchain wrote:
Bersa.380 wrote:

Taking my comments a little personal, eh ? As they say the truth hurts, you can't realy get miffed about this, the difference between a cop and me is a cop has a license to shoot you sorry butt if he likes and justiy his actions later. This cop was in an un-marked car, plain clothes, no badge and waving a dam gun ..... get a grip
What's your point? I made a statement, and then you recounted the video. Not a good rebuke, buddy.

I'm not saying that cop was anywhere in the right. Review the whole post and read what I said.

I told you to set an example. I'm telling you again. Set a good example. Behavior like this gives fuel to the people who want to take your rights away.

Bersa.380

imported post

killchain wrote:
Bersa.380 wrote:
killchain wrote:
Bersa.380 wrote:

What's your point? I made a statement, and then you recounted the video. Not a good rebuke, buddy.

I'm not saying that cop was anywhere in the right. Review the whole post and read what I said.

I told you to set an example. I'm telling you again. Set a good example. Behavior like this gives fuel to the people who want to take your rights away.

You sound like a cop "I told you" blah, blah, blah ..... your type of mind-set is no different then the Brady Group ..... you think everybody should be "Just like You"

First (in posts above) .... you say you'd draw on that cop .... then you're ragging on me.

So, Mr. Man on the Silver Mountain ... now what are you going to tell me to do ?