• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

US News &World Report - OCDO's John Pierce & Rep. McCarthy face off on open

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2010/04/15/should-open-carry-of-guns-be-the-law-of-the-land.html- and keep hitting the poll!

SNIP

Why 'Open Carry' Gun Laws Work
Second Amendment or no, law-abiding citizens have the right to go about their business
By John Pierce
Posted April 15, 2010

John Pierce, cofounder of OpenCarry.org, is a second-year student at Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul, Minn., and holds an M.B.A. from George Mason University in Fairfax, Va.

The phrase "open carry" refers to the act of law-abiding citizens carrying a properly holstered handgun in plain sight, wherever it is legal to do so, as they go about their daily lives. This includes such mundane tasks as driving to work, walking the dog, grabbing a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or buying a book at Barnes & Noble. Those who choose open carry are just going about their business while armed, just as do the 6 million-plus Americans who hold concealed-carry permits. The only difference—open carriers have taken their jackets off.

. . .

But with open carry legal in some form in 43 states, and with the practice becoming increasingly common, it is not surprising that citizens unfamiliar with the practice might have questions when they first see a neighbor carrying openly. And these questions are often directed to local law enforcement. One of our key missions at OpenCarry.org is to serve as an educational resource for citizens and law enforcement alike when such questions arise in order to insure that interactions between citizens and law enforcement respect both the rights of the citizen and the difficult job being performed by the officer. Interestingly, the increasing normality of open carry has helped to ensure that law enforcement officers across the country have been educated about its legality, rendering such encounters infrequent.

So is open carry right for America? The answer is an unequivocal "yes!" Already present in the vast majority of states, the increasing popularity of the open-carry movement is a visible symbol that the right to bear arms remains a vital, core right of American citizens.

Read why the proliferation of guns—even legal ones—is a danger, by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Please feel free to post polite, profession comments refuting Rep. McCarthy's contentions about gun owners. :)

Thanks!

John

eye95

imported post

I put comments in all three places: on the page with both previews and the two pages with the complete editorials.

Ddave

imported post

1. 96.47% Yes
  2. 3.53% No
After My vote...

I See Mrs. Macarthy is actually correct in saying government should listen to the voters...

Broondog

imported post

Should open carry of guns be legal in America?
  1. 96.56% Yes
  2. 3.44% No
too bad we don't know how many folks took the poll. 100 voters doesn't mean much where 1,000,000 is a greater cross section of the populace.

oh well, WE'RE WINNING!! :celebrate

okboomer

imported post

In favor: 96.57%

Opposed: 3.43%

After reading Rep McCarthy's article, I enjoyed most of the rebuttals posted in the comments section.

Huck

imported post

Face off? It was calm, rational stating of facts vs emotional handwringing.

How about McCarthy's "what happened to listening to what the voters want?" statement? I guess she's forgotten about the health care monstrosity that the majority of Americans dont want that she and her ilk rammed down our throats. A idiot and a hypocrite, whatta combo!