Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Coming to visit WV this weekend

  1. #1
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    We're bringing our California visitors to your neck of the woods this weekend (we love the Harper's Ferry Flea Market, and the races at Charles Town).

    I have a VA CHP - any reason I can't CC the entire trip? Any rules/laws I should be aware of?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    The Raceway may be posted, but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've been there...

    Harpers Ferry should be GTG now, that it's legal to carry in Federal Parks (a LARGE part for the old-town part of Harpers Ferry is actually Federal Park land...)

    Just keep your eyes open for signs...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  3. #3
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    The Raceway may be posted, but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've been there...

    Harpers Ferry should be GTG now, that it's legal to carry in Federal Parks (a LARGE part for the old-town part of Harpers Ferry is actually Federal Park land...)

    Just keep your eyes open for signs...
    The trip has been postponed a couple of weekends due to scheduling difficulties.

    Suggestions on finding out the status at the Raceway? And question - in WV, does the sign hold the power of law (in that, if I enter a posted area CC, I'm committing a crime)?

    The only part of Harper's Ferry we'll probably see is the Flea Market - I could spend all day there. But if we decide to check out the park, I'm GTG except inside the building, right?

  4. #4
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926

    Post imported post

    Riana wrote:
    Dreamer wrote:
    The Raceway may be posted, but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've been there...

    Harpers Ferry should be GTG now, that it's legal to carry in Federal Parks (a LARGE part for the old-town part of Harpers Ferry is actually Federal Park land...)

    Just keep your eyes open for signs...
    The trip has been postponed a couple of weekends due to scheduling difficulties.

    Suggestions on finding out the status at the Raceway? And question - in WV, does the sign hold the power of law (in that, if I enter a posted area CC, I'm committing a crime)?

    The only part of Harper's Ferry we'll probably see is the Flea Market - I could spend all day there. But if we decide to check out the park, I'm GTG except inside the building, right?
    As far as I known (Im not a lawyer) the sign only means they would have to ask you to leave.

    But be careful!
    Most of Harpers Ferry is national park preperty and Im not sure what the CC laws are on that.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    We finally made the trip, spending a good portion of Sunday out in Harpers Ferry and catching the last half of the horse races at Charles Town. I CC'd the whole trip, though.

    Oh, and I looked around a bit, but saw no signs at Charles Town Races and Slots. In fact, I think I saw someone else CCing (badly), so no worries.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943
    Update: We spent some time at Charles Town Races again this afternoon, walking all the way through the casino, and spending a couple of races at the track. While heading back to the casino from the track, I passed a sign that had several "Rules and Regulations" on it - the last of which was "No Firearms Allowed."

    I didn't see it anywhere else, though.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Herndon, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    336
    I've been to the Hollywood Casino @ CTown 3 times in the last 2 weeks since table games opened and I have yet to see anything prohibiting firearms. I didn't even see the sign Riana was referring to.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by RedKnightt View Post
    I've been to the Hollywood Casino @ CTown 3 times in the last 2 weeks since table games opened and I have yet to see anything prohibiting firearms. I didn't even see the sign Riana was referring to.
    It's upstairs at the racetrack, not far from the elevators, I believe. Perhaps the "No Firearms" rule applies only to the track? After all, I had to wander all through the casino, and spend 30 minutes (and losing $10) at the track before I saw it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •