• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being pulled over?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Rottie wrote:
I'd expect nothing less from the Utah Highway Patrol. In my Opinion they are the most professional and respectfull of the state's LEOs. There are other great departments as well, but I have not heard of negative experiences regarding firearms and contact with UHP. I'm sure they exist but certainly would be few and far between. Another great example wasKevin Jensen's experience with OCing at SLCC at the Jason Chafetz meeting.
Or my experience in Ogden where a State Trooper detained and harassed me in a convenience store for no reason?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Oh yeah. It all started with "You got a permit for that?"

And ended 15 minutes later with "Don't be surprised if a cop 'draws down' on you next time". :X

I will post the story as soon as I am satisfied with the response from the UHP.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

SLCPD Rookie Cop decided to call out over the radio MWAG at the 7-11 Parking lot

My last encounter consisted of a Sgt From Salt Lake City who was lecturing me on the dangers on Open Carry when I stopped him Midsentence and said "Speaking of Open Carry your Zippers Down" The lecture was ended abruptly as he turned around to re-zip

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

SpringfieldGuy wrote:
So today in a hurry to work, i was pulled over by UHP. I was always curious how the officer would handle someone with a CFP and how that would go. Well, today i got my answer. (be careful what you wish for) He introduced himself and told me why he pulled me over. Then asked for my license. All the while he's talking, i have my hands securely holding the steeringwheel. I told him i'd be happy to produce my license but needed to inform him i had a CFP and did have my firearm. He resonded saying "without reaching, where is it." Mine was in my center console. He said don't reach for it, and we're good. Went back to his car, and came back after a couple min. Handed me my license and thanked me for informing him of the firearm and that i handled it perfectly. He told me of a few instances where some have grabbed the firearm and showed it to him.
beat.gif
A very bad decision. After being pulled over for going too fast as well as not having my Insurance or Registration in my vehicle, i was let go with only a warning.
banana.gif
So between the CFP and also working part time at the gas station he used to frequent, overall a good experience. (because i got a warning. I'd be ticked if not LOL)

Did not have to inform him, but i'd rather that then him figure it out and then be ticked. If it were me in that cruiser, i'd want to know.
Off topic I know but where did you get that funny smilie with the hammer? I can't see it in the list of emoticons are there others too?

Rottie

imported post

Kevin Jensen wrote:
Rottie wrote:
I'd expect nothing less from the Utah Highway Patrol. In my Opinion they are the most professional and respectfull of the state's LEOs. There are other great departments as well, but I have not heard of negative experiences regarding firearms and contact with UHP. I'm sure they exist but certainly would be few and far between. Another great example wasKevin Jensen's experience with OCing at SLCC at the Jason Chafetz meeting.
Or my experience in Ogden where a State Trooper detained and harassed me in a convenience store for no reason?
That's too bad Kevin. This is the first negative I have heard of UHP though I am sure there are more out there. That being said I still think they as a whole are the most respectull and professional in the state. Of course West Valley is at the bottom of the list. Please keep us updated on your situation as it develops.