• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol for Hunting?

B

bgreene89

imported post

Hey I was wondering if any of you open carriers might know a forum that has people hunting with pistols? If not I was wondering whats a pistol that you prefer to hunt deer,and bear with? Also what caliber you would prefer? And please consider range and a scope I like to shoot as far as I can. I'm looking forward to hunting some deer and bear this year with a new pistol and to also take it along when I hunt bear with my bow this year.

Thanks,
Blake

SMW

imported post

bgreene89 wrote:
Hey I was wondering if any of you open carriers might know a forum that has people hunting with pistols? If not I was wondering whats a pistol that you prefer to hunt deer,and bear with? Also what caliber you would prefer? And please consider range and a scope I like to shoot as far as I can. I'm looking forward to hunting some deer and bear this year with a new pistol and to also take it along when I hunt bear with my bow this year.

Thanks,
Blake

I use a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag for deer and my stepdad uses a Redhawk .44 mag. They both work great in ground blinds.

buzzsaw

imported post

Since you posted under the NC area I'm going to take a SWAG and assume that you are considering hunting in NC or there abouts. I haven't hunted in a few years but I seem to remember prohibitions about carrying a pistol while Bow hunting for deer at least (haven't ever hunted bear so couldn't say about that) so be careful and check regulations where ever you hunt. That having been said I believe Carolina shooters forum has posted some comments about similar activities. You could check them out. I have hunted deer with a Thompson Contender and they come in any caliber you might desire (even some calibers considered primarily rifle calibers). I have one of the older models with a 10" barrel that I got for shooting metal silhouettes back in the day and it could routinely drop a forty pound metal ram at 100 yds with open sights. Most barrels are also readily adaptable to scope as well. The barrels used to also come in 6" or 14" versions if desired. I have carried mine "open carry" in a shoulder holster while hunting but since it is a single shot break action I don't carry it for personal protection never mind that it couldn't be concealed any way.

B

bgreene89

imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
I haven't hunted in a few years but I seem to remember prohibitions about carrying a pistol while Bow hunting for deer at least (haven't ever hunted bear so couldn't say about that) so be careful and check regulations where ever you hunt.

The regulations for carrying a pistol while during bow season for any big game animal is prohibted. However carrying a pistol while during gun season for big game is lawful, as well as bow hunting while during gun season. So basicly the only legal way to take your gun and bow is to wait untill gun season comes in. Also yes I mostly hunt in north carolina for black bear, but I was also considering hunting deer out west as well as grizzly! But I didn't really want a thomspon center. Because I want more than 1 shot especally if I'm being charged at by a 1000 pound grizzly bear. Lol

I would love to settle for any caliber or make that is reaible with more than 1 shot any suggestions?

Thanks,
Blake

CraigC178

imported post

Do you handload? If you do I'd recommend a 45 Colt. Until recently I had a Ruger Blackhawk that I used to hunt Illinois whitetails. If you look up the "45 Colt (Ruger/TC Only)" section of your loading manuals you'll see the true potential of this round.