• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A FEW CARRY QUESTIONS...

mdevar

imported post

1. IN INDIANA, CAN I CARRY IN A BAR? (I KNOW I CAN'T 5 MINS AWAY IN KY)

2. SINCE KY RECOGNIZES MY LTCH, AM I PERMITTED TO CARRY OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS WHILE IN THE STATE OF KY (SINCE KY RESIDENTS CAN)? IE: NUNCHUCKS, BRASS KNUCKLES, KNIVES, ETC?

3. IS THERE ANY LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF HANDGUNS I CAN CARRY WITH MY LTCH IN INDIANA? ONLY ASKING BECAUSE I FOUND MYSELF WITH 3 CONCEALED HANDGUNS THE OTHER DAY (LONG STORY).

4. WHAT CRIMES ARE ENHANCED BY THE ADDITION OF A FIREARM? IE: IF I WERE TO GET INA FIST-FIGHT WITH SOMEONE WHILE IN POSSESION OF A HANDGUN, WOULD THE CHARGE BE WORSE? WHAT IF, FOR EXAMPLE, I GOT PULLED OVER WITH A MINISCULE AMOUNT OF MARIJUANA.... IS THAT MISDEMEANOR CRIME ENHANCED IF I'M CARRYING A DEADLY WEAPON?

5. WHICH IS BETTER... TO CARRY WITH A ROUND CHAMBERED AND THE WEAPON ON SAFETY, OR OFF SAFETY W/O A BULLET IN THE CHAMBER.... OR IS THAT JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE?

protias

imported post

I am fairly new to IN myself, so I am not too familiar with all the laws.

1) You can carry in places that serve alcohol (I don't believe there are restrictions for bars, but I'm not 100% sure either).

5) Carry one in the chamber as your firearm without on is as good as a hammer (safety on or off is personal preference).

Prometheus

imported post

mdevar wrote:
1. IN INDIANA, CAN I CARRY IN A BAR? (I KNOW I CAN'T 5 MINS AWAY IN KY)
Yes

2. SINCE KY RECOGNIZES MY LTCH, AM I PERMITTED TO CARRY OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS WHILE IN THE STATE OF KY (SINCE KY RESIDENTS CAN)? IE: NUNCHUCKS, BRASS KNUCKLES, KNIVES, ETC?
Probably not. Most states recognize an out of state permit/license provided you comply with the terms of the issuing state AND the state you are in.

3. IS THERE ANY LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF HANDGUNS I CAN CARRY WITH MY LTCH IN INDIANA? ONLY ASKING BECAUSE I FOUND MYSELF WITH 3 CONCEALED HANDGUNS THE OTHER DAY (LONG STORY).
I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for carrying more than one handgun. The law is silent on the number of handguns that can be carried under the license.

4. WHAT CRIMES ARE ENHANCED BY THE ADDITION OF A FIREARM? IE: IF I WERE TO GET INA FIST-FIGHT WITH SOMEONE WHILE IN POSSESION OF A HANDGUN, WOULD THE CHARGE BE WORSE? WHAT IF, FOR EXAMPLE, I GOT PULLED OVER WITH A MINISCULE AMOUNT OF MARIJUANA.... IS THAT MISDEMEANOR CRIME ENHANCED IF I'M CARRYING A DEADLY WEAPON?
Yes some crimes are. In most cases they are Federal crimes, drugs and guns are a big one. You'd have to go thru the list of them. In a fist fight, unless you used the weapon, the charge wouldn't be upgraded if you left it holstered.

5. WHICH IS BETTER... TO CARRY WITH A ROUND CHAMBERED AND THE WEAPON ON SAFETY, OR OFF SAFETY W/O A BULLET IN THE CHAMBER.... OR IS THAT JUST PERSONAL PREFERENCE?
Depends on the weapon. A 1911 is meant to be carried cocked and locked. In a 1911 you would NOT want to carry the gun with a round in the chamber and the hammer down. It is unsafe.

In a HK USP 45 you can carry (assuming the proper varient) loaded, cocked and locked or the hammer down and safety off or hammer down safety on. All are safe ways to carry it.

Modern firearms like gLocks, XD's, M&P's, Berettas, FN's ect. ect. are all meant to be carried loaded and in the case of weapons like the gLock or XD they don't even have safeties (some XDs now have optional safeties).

Ask yourself this, "can I keep my finger off the trigger until I'm ready to fire?" If the answer is yes, you are probably fine to carry with a round in the chamber... if the answer is no, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun at all.

Also ask yourself "will I have time to chamber a round when my life is threatened?"