• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond Tea Party¦They seem to have taken a turn for the better

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
http://news.oldva.org/?p=22963

I did decide to go to the Tea Party today and I’m glad. It appears that the leadership is better.
I had a guns save lives pin and a 44 Magnum on. We got there early and Security came by. Judging from the past, I was expecting to be told to leave it in the car. It didn’t happen. I had a nice chat with him and other than casual conversation about what I was carrying, no further discussion.
Members of the Peninsula Patriots talked to me and had no idea Tom Robinson had made anti gun statements or written the asinine Email we published.
There was a good crowd. Young, old and in between. I didn’t see the anger I saw last year, more dedication to change than anger.
The entire event was much better organized and I didn’t see any major problems. It wasn’t raining either.
Next week, I’ll do a full photo essay on the event.
t3.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

We had a few OC'rs but guess who was there handing out GSL stickers like mad.:lol:

He really is everywhere!

t4.jpg

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

My brother was just telling me about his time at the Tea Party.

He mentioned that he complimented a guy with a big camera on his VCDL button, and the guy took a picture of my brother's illegal immigration sign.

...maybe y'all met each other.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DrMark wrote:
My brother was just telling me about his time at the Tea Party.

He mentioned that he complimented a guy with a big camera on his VCDL button, and the guy took a picture of my brother's illegal immigration sign.

...maybe y'all met each other.
Is this your brothers sign? (I took 2207 pictures:lol:)

sign.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

DrMark wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Is this your brothers sign? (I took 2207 pictures:lol:)

sign.jpg
I won't be able to see it until I get home; photobucket is blocked here.

That's a lot pictures!
There were a lot of people (3500)
If your brother is who I think he is, I enjoyed talking to him. He went a long way toward changing my opinion of the Tea Party.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I'm sure you will give us a link to the selected pictures.

You've become our pictorial historian....among other things. :)

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I put the Video up a little while ago. I've been busy today and didn't have a lot of time to work on it so I still haven't tested the new compression format.

Let me know if it runs OK please.

http://news.oldva.org/?p=23115

If you look you might even see a few of our members. I did not include one of the members I don't know well who kept hiding:lol:

Jonesy

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I put the Video up a little while ago. I've been busy today and didn't have a lot of time to work on it so I still haven't tested the new compression format.

Let me know if it runs OK please.

http://news.oldva.org/?p=23115

If you look you might even see a few of our members. I did not include one of the members I don't know well who kept hiding:lol:
Excellent video, I enjoyed watching that. Wish I could have been there.

halljt3

imported post

Thats my bike in the seccond pricture! Since this is my first post figured I would introduce myself, my name is Tyler and im a 21 year old VCU student. I have been a long time stalker here on this forum but had never sighned up (too many forums too keep up with haha)

Anyways I felt as if the tea party was very positve, I had a good time and it was good to see people OC'in unfortunatly I had just gotten out of class and we all no VCU's stance on law abiding citizens who want to exercise the right to bear arms, they simply ignore the rights granted to the people by the Constitution under the 2nd Amendment. (sorry about the rant I just get frustrated when my protected rights are infringed upon) Anyways the moral of the story is I would have been right there with you OC'in.

O yeah thanks for the GSL sticker.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

halljt3 wrote:
Thats my bike in the seccond pricture! Since this is my first post figured I would introduce myself, my name is Tyler and im a 21 year old VCU student. I have been a long time stalker here on this forum but had never sighned up (too many forums too keep up with haha)

Anyways I felt as if the tea party was very positve, I had a good time and it was good to see people OC'in unfortunatly I had just gotten out of class and we all no VCU's stance on law abiding citizens who want to exercise the right to bear arms, they simply ignore the rights granted to the people by the Constitution under the 2nd Amendment. (sorry about the rant I just get frustrated when my protected rights are infringed upon) Anyways the moral of the story is I would have been right there with you OC'in.

O yeah thanks for the GSL sticker.
Welcome to the site Tyler. BTW, don't use your real name, use your code name so you have two entries on THE LIST !:lol:

Were you the VCU student I was talking to as we were leaving? I'm the one that looks like Robert Redford:shock:

richarcm

imported post

I went and open carried to this event last year (miserable weather!) and didn't notice any problems with open carry. Not with the cops, not with anyone who attended and nobody managing the event. Nobody said a word. I'm glad OC is still accepted. The TEA Party movement and the 2A movement would both benefit from working together rather than resisting. I spoke with the founder of the Richmond TEA Party and he told me that he is a VCDL member, very pro-gun and tries to make each event possible at a gun friendly location.

I think everyone needs to kiss, make up and synergize our efforts.

****Just noticed that on the Richmond Tea Party website they have on their page reminders that VCDL is busing people to the DC march as well as details of the march (which I never asked them to do). Will you open carriers please stop refusing to attend their events already? Its as ridiculous as the open carriers who refuse to attend the DC march because they can't open carry. Its so aggravatingly counterproductive. ****

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
I went and open carried to this event last year (miserable weather!) and didn't notice any problems with open carry. Not with the cops, not with anyone who attended and nobody managing the event. Nobody said a word. I'm glad OC is still accepted. The TEA Party movement and the 2A movement would both benefit from working together rather than resisting. I spoke with the founder of the Richmond TEA Party and he told me that he is a VCDL member, very pro-gun and tries to make each event possible at a gun friendly location.

I didn't have any problems at this event last year either. Of course I was wearing a poncho so no one knew if I had a gun or not and I didn't .....of course.

I got the same lip service (I am not anti gun) jsut as I was told to leave that west end event (Balilys I think).

Then the Chesterfield event where they had parking at the school instead of opening the parking on the grounds.

Lets not forget Tom Robinson with the Peninsula Patriots.

I went to the party this year which I said I wouldn't do.
I took pictures and put them up which I said I wouldn't do.
I said they were better but that's as far as I go until they prove it.

I met some of the Peninsula Patriots. Darn nice fellows and they didn't have any idea Tom Wrote the email or that anyone was told to cover up.
Just like Richmond, Piss poor leadership making the entire group look bad.

After the owner of the land in Tidewater went to Philip telling everyone how he was pro gun...that's after Tom's letter, I invited him to write a response and I'd put it up as written. I;m still waiting.

richarcm

imported post

peter nap wrote:
richarcm wrote:

I didn't have any problems at this event last year either. Of course I was wearing a poncho so no one knew if I had a gun or not and I didn't .....of course.

I got the same lip service (I am not anti gun) jsut as I was told to leave that west end event (Balilys I think).

Then the Chesterfield event where they had parking at the school instead of opening the parking on the grounds.

Lets not forget Tom Robinson with the Peninsula Patriots.

I went to the party this year which I said I wouldn't do.
I took pictures and put them up which I said I wouldn't do.
I said they were better but that's as far as I go until they prove it.

I met some of the Peninsula Patriots. Darn nice fellows and they didn't have any idea Tom Wrote the email or that anyone was told to cover up.
Just like Richmond, Piss poor leadership making the entire group look bad.

After the owner of the land in Tidewater went to Philip telling everyone how he was pro gun...that's after Tom's letter, I invited him to write a response and I'd put it up as written. I;m still waiting.
I was, as was other several other people, completely open carrying at last year's event. I did not attend the Bailey's event so I can not speak for that one way or the other. But that is more of a problem with Bailey's I would think than the TEA Party. I did attend the Chesterfield event. And yes parking was sparse but I did, as did a fellow OCing friend of mine, find parking just down the street away from the school. It just meant we were forced to get a few minutes of exercise (not a huge inconvenience). Once at the event there were ZERO problems open carrying. In fact Doc Thompson convinced me to speak briefly at this event while I was open carrying and I didn't receive any lip at all from anybody.

Again, it does more to hurt us, to refuse to attend these events than to work with each other to help both of our causes. The more friction that one side gives the other the less reason the opposing side has to think to help us. I think many people who are not immediately within our group are not so against open carrying or the 2nd Amendment as they are just not aware of what decisions they are making when resistance to our cause does arise. Before I was active with gun rights I was not anti-gun at all in any shade whatsoever. But I would not have thought to make sure that any place that I went to allowed or didn't allow guns on their premises. Its not so much that they are anti-gun (in MOST cases) as it is just a need for them to be more educated. We can't educate them if we throw our hands up and resist them. In fact it tends to make it less appealing to welcome us to their events.

And again, I've yet to PERSONALLY experience an obvious anti-gun tone to any of the TEA Party events that I have attended (sans DC TEA Party). I'm assuming that I have just coincidentally not attended the events that are anti.

richarcm

imported post

Here is a response that I received from the VP of the Richmond TEA Party to an email I sent him in regards to this same exact subject:

Chris:

I’m right there with you. I can easily say that the vast majority (all?) of the TP folks are pro-2[sup]nd[/sup] amendment. The RTP lack of involvement in 2[sup]nd[/sup] amendment stuff so far has not been a planned decision is any way…to be blunt, I think we’re all just so freakin’ busy that we haven’t gone down that avenue. Don’t forget that RTP was a huge supporter of HB69, and our lobbyist/activist volunteer did a TON of work in the general assembly to try to get that passed. There are so many different pathways we’re exploring right now that it’s just not been in the forefront of discussion outside of the GA legislation. Do the pro-gunners realize and understand all the work we did for HB69?

HOWEVER, I do think that this is something we can work a bit harder on to bring the groups together. I guess I don’t understand the “gun-unfriendly” venue mindset…of our bigger events, I think all of them have been pro-gun. The Liberty 101 event at the Chesterfield fairgrounds, as well as the prior and upcoming tax day rallies, have all been in “guns ok” areas, and our security volunteers routinely carry. As for the venues that are known to have “problems”, I may have a way to work on that too. I just don’t understand why some of the pro-gunners would actually think something along the lines of “RTP held an event at an anti-gun place, so I’m not going to support their efforts to save the country”. That’s just foreign thinking, but I know you understand.

Anyway, I’ll work on this. I have my CCP, and am a member of the VCDL and NRA, so I’m a fellow 2[sup]nd[/sup]er all the way. Give me a shout sometime on my mobile if you want to talk (during work hours I’m harder to reach) – 731-7214.

-Eric

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
peter nap wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I did not attend the Bailey's event so I can not speak for that one way or the other. But that is more of a problem with Bailey's I would think than the TEA Party.
Wait a minute and think about what you said. Going by that line of thought, the Freedom Rally last summer was a mistake. VCDL should realize it's a problem with Innsbrook, not the Republican party.

I did attend the Chesterfield event. And yes parking was sparse but I did, as did a fellow OCing friend of mine, find parking just down the street away from the school. It just meant we were forced to get a few minutes of exercise (not a huge inconvenience).

We were directed into the parking lot by a Chesterfield Cop.

Like I said, they're better.

richarcm

imported post

peter nap wrote:
richarcm wrote:
peter nap wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I did not attend the Bailey's event so I can not speak for that one way or the other. But that is more of a problem with Bailey's I would think than the TEA Party.
Wait a minute and think about what you said. Going by that line of thought, the Freedom Rally last summer was a mistake. VCDL should realize it's a problem with Innsbrook, not the Republican party.

I did attend the Chesterfield event. And yes parking was sparse but I did, as did a fellow OCing friend of mine, find parking just down the street away from the school. It just meant we were forced to get a few minutes of exercise (not a huge inconvenience).

We were directed into the parking lot by a Chesterfield Cop.

Like I said, they're better.
You are comparing a group of representatives who are very well aware of gun law, 2nd Amendment issues and support that they directly receive in accordance with those laws and rights to a group of citizens who's main focus is excessive taxation.

Apples and Cucumbers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

richarcm wrote:
You are comparing a group of representatives who are very well aware of gun law, 2nd Amendment issues and support that they directly receive in accordance with those laws and rights to a group of citizens who's main focus is excessive taxation.

Apples and Cucumbers.
Main focus is excessive taxation?

That has never been my understanding. Always saw/understood this to be against intrusive government involvement in all aspects of our lives.

Official Home of the American Tea Party Movement

A community committed to standing together, shoulder to shoulder, to protect our country and the Constitution upon which we were founded!
http://teapartypatriots.ning.com/

If locally one group has been excluded or not fully considered, where does the problem lie and how hard would it be to fix?

Yata hey