• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Special List?

cscitney87

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

Gunslinger wrote:This is talking about arrests, not simple traffic stops. Cops check for wants and warrants, not CCW permits, routinely. Don't be naive; CHP information is on the same LITERALLY same computer screen as the Wants/Warrants/Missing/Runaway etc etc. It's the same CCIC/NCIC database- one convenient location Gunslinger wrote:No background check database exists when buying a handgun in Colorado. What is that supposed to mean? Nobody once inferred that. Gunslinger wrote:Once approved, the record is purged, I believe within 24-48 hours. Nobody said there was a list made of all the handgun purchases made..Gunslinger wrote:Of course, individual Sheriffs vary as to CCW lists. El Paso does not maintain them for general usage. This from Makitta. You are required to cite/source any legal information Once you make the determination to Counter my Sourced legal information. In other words; I have a document from Makita; with his signature; approving Patrol Cars having full unabridged access to CCIC/NCIC.

I will await sources and cites and links.

Edited: Again; please; don't post without Sources or Links or Cites when rebutting my Legally Sourced and Cited information. We are trying to help people not muddy the water is Hear-Say or Second/Third hand information.

Gunslinger wrote:Of course, individual Sheriffs vary as to CCW lists. El Paso does not maintain them for general usage. This from Makitta.

In other words; Even if you specifically are not entered into a database;
El Paso Law Enforcement will certainly have the ability to querying CCIC/NCIC from their patrol car computer; just like warrants/missing/wanted/etc. I am Jefferson County and will be in the database; so El Paso will be seeing my CHP status. Again regardless of whether or not you were put into the database; the issue remains that a database exists and is readily available via Patrol Car computer/department link.

PT111

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
As I said above, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car anywhere in Colorado, so what purpose is served by some cop knowing you have a CCW--passed background check, when some dirtbag doesn't and intends to shoot the first cop he sees? Where is the greater risk? To me, this is a non-issue.
This makes more sense than anything else I have read in this thread. If a LEO is really more concerned about pulling someone over that has a CCW than some unknown suspect that may very well be carrying a gun along with a criminal record and 10 pounds of MJ then he might need to look at another line of work. The unknowns are what will get you. Besides all my vehicles are in my wife's name, not mine.

yotebuster223

imported post

I am a scanner enthusiast, I live in Lakewood and hear on a regular basis. quote " the RO of this vehicle holds a CCW can you send me a cover car"
This disturbs me because law abiding citizens are treated as a threat to police officers. Now I am sure that if I am ever contacted by Lakewood PD and I am OC'ing that as soon as the Agent writes his/her report an ALERT will be put on my name that I open carry a firearm. So every time the License plates on my vehicles, address, and even phone numbers come up on Lakewood's MDTs or Dispatches computers that the officers will know and will be reminded by Dispatch that I carry a firearm.
So I can confirm that if you carry a CCW Permit the police know as soon as they run your plate and you are the registered owner (RO) of the vehicle that you could be carrying a firearm they take their situational awareness up a few notches and you are treated as a threat to them.

In closing I must drop a quote from Michael LeMieux
If "We the People" are the creators of the government, and the government is authorized arms, then in order for the people to maintain their position, in relation to the government, they too must be armed. If the servant government (servant of the people) has arms, and the people do not, then the roles are reversed for the people can not resist a government that has become tyrannical.

cscitney87

imported post

yotebuster223 wrote:
I am a scanner enthusiast, I live in Lakewood and hear on a regular basis. quote " the RO of this vehicle holds a CCW can you send me a cover car"
This disturbs me because law abiding citizens are treated as a threat to police officers. Now I am sure that if I am ever contacted by Lakewood PD and I am OC'ing that as soon as the Agent writes his/her report an ALERT will be put on my name that I open carry a firearm. So every time the License plates on my vehicles, address, and even phone numbers come up on Lakewood's MDTs or Dispatches computers that the officers will know and will be reminded by Dispatch that I carry a firearm.
So I can confirm that if you carry a CCW Permit the police know as soon as they run your plate and you are the registered owner (RO) of the vehicle that you could be carrying a firearm they take their situational awareness up a few notches and you are treated as a threat to them.
Thank you very much; this mirrors everything I believe about the situation. Officers CERTAINLY CAN and DO connect the dots; run the plate- read the physical description- run the name- Etc.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yotebuster223 wrote:

In closing I must drop a quote from Michael LeMieux
If "We the People" are the creators of the government, and the government is authorized arms, then in order for the people to maintain their position, in relation to the government, they too must be armed. If the servant government (servant of the people) has arms, and the people do not, then the roles are reversed for the people can not resist a government that has become tyrannical.
If what you say is correct, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, this doesn't necessarily mean that your CCW info is linked to the plate/registration. If the RO isn't the person driving the car, then they wouldn't request a backup car. Most likely they know the RO is the person driving because they are running the party (using their DL) through CCIC and then matching that to the name on the registration.

I agree that some PDs keep internal lists on individuals and some OCers are probably on those lists. I don't think that information is shared with other local agencies though, at least not in an official way. Many of these agencies have their own internal protocols and politics and they only way they'd share something like that is through CCIC, and there is no designation for OCers in CCIC.

yotebuster223

imported post

At least in Lakewood they do attach warrants and other pertinent information to car registrations. Lakewood has plate reader cars that sit in the middle of Sheridan Blvd. and read all plates passing northbound and southbound as soon as their computer reads a plate with a warrant, no insurance or expired tags the officer sitting in the car is alerted immediately to the vehicle, direction of travel and lane it is traveling in. Now back to the "does the officer call for backup before or after they contact the driver not knowing if it is the RO or not" the answer is before the driver is contacted. The windows on my vehicle are tinted so how would the officer even know if I am driving or my wife. They ALWAYS air on the side of "officer safety" and call for a car to cover before initial contact.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Perhaps you're correct, at least for Lakewood. Do they call in the plate to dispatch before they make contact? I'm just curious as to the process. I wonder if the a few overzealous officers have access to DMV and CCIC in their cars and use the DMV database to run the plate and then cross-checks the name and address of the RO across CCIC to see if they get a match for anything. Or maybe it's a department-wide thing.

Usually officers will just let dispatch know the name and plate number that they are out with just before initiating contact, and then they come back with the license & registration to clear the party.

Either way, that's pretty lame. CCW holders are the last people that LE need to be worried about, and most LEOs will tell you that. Besides, you can legally conceal whatever you want in the car anyway.

cscitney87

imported post

centsi wrote:
I wonder if the a few overzealous officers have access to DMV and CCIC in their cars and use the DMV database to run the plate and then cross-checks the name and address of the RO across CCIC to see if they get a match for anything. Or maybe it's a department-wide thing.
Have you read any of my posts??? Of course this happens.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let me restate that. I wonder if it's a few overzealous officers who are the ones cross-referencing the names to find out the CCWs or if it's a department policy that everyone do it. I know that they all CAN do this, I'm just wondering if they all CHOSE to do it. I know that the vast majority of Douglas County and State Patrol could care less about whether the car they are pulling over might have a driver with a CCW.

yotebuster223

imported post

There are a number of different ways they do plate checks. Sometimes Dispatch will inform them of the RO having a CCW and fellow officers that are in the field will run the plate while the officer is initiating the stop and will come back and inform the officer that the RO is a CCW permit holder. This last method happens so quickly that I am lead to believe that all of this is attached to the owners registration.
I will give an example: A car had over shot a curve in a residential neighborhood and hit a man's truck parked in his driveway. When the officer arrived on scene he called out the plates for both vehicles. Within say 10 seconds another officer came over the radio and said the RO of the truck/owner of the house is a CCW permit holder, which brought more cars to the scene.
So with that you come to your own conclusions as to where and how they get this info so quickly.

jmar254

imported post

BAHHHHH HAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Could suck to be my wife since she's driving my car while hers is in the shop

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's an answer from a CSP friend of mine:

Me: When you pull someone over and find out through CCIC that they have a CCW, do you get that by running their plate or by running their driver's license number?

CSP: Generally, that information is only available by running a persons name and date of birth. However, CCIC often returns probableperson matches when you run a plate. For example,if I run a plate and the registered owner is John Doe of 1500 Broadway. in Denver, CCIC will see ifit can also locate a John Doe at the same address in the names query. If it does, it will automatically display that info as alikely or probable match to the registered owner. If the potential match holds a valid colorado CCW, that info will also be displayed automatically.

cscitney87

imported post

centsi wrote:
CSP: Generally, that information is only available by running a persons name and date of birth. However, CCIC often returns probableperson matches when you run a plate. For example,if I run a plate and the registered owner is John Doe of 1500 Broadway. in Denver, CCIC will see ifit can also locate a John Doe at the same address in the names query. If it does, it will automatically display that info as alikely or probable match to the registered owner. If the potential match holds a valid colorado CCW, that info will also be displayed automatically.
Just as I suspected. Modern technology..... I appreciate it Centsi; thanks!