• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Special List?

123wer456wer789wer

imported post

A friend of mine said that cops pull you over differently based on your concealed carry status. He said that the cops were pulling him over for minor reasons with their guns drawn because they had him on a list of concealed carry people. I thought that they were not legally allowed in Denver to keep the list? Is that a State law, City law, Federal law, or what?

ZackL

imported post

As far as I know, and I am not an expert on the subject, but they don't have a list of concealed weapons permit holders. However, the one thing that comes to mind here is if he was pulled over and informed the officers he was armed they may have marked it on his DMV info. Nevertheless, if they are doing this then he needs to file a complaint with the police department that stops him.

cscitney87

imported post

I am also under the impression that I will be registered on a list that will pop up with my CHP status when my license plate number is ran. I also am sure my CHP status will pop up whenever my drivers license numbers are ran. I'm borderline sure that simply getting my name and running a check for warrants may bring up this information as well.

Several people I personally know are not getting a CHP for this reason. They would rather not be "on a list" and just OC.

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My understanding is that the "person of interest" entry is linked to your CO Driver's License number, not a plate. When they run a plate, they get a name and address for the registrant(s) of the vehicle but no more. Regardless, they'll get your DL# when they pull you over so that's when they get the CCW info if your sheriff gives it to them.

cscitney87

imported post

Here's for starters; mirroring Centsi's information.

If I am issued a permit, who is my information shared with?
Any information contained in your file is confidential and for law enforcement use only. The Open Record's Act does not apply to concealed permit holders. Although yourinformation is entered into astatewide database, this is nota criminal database, and the information simply states you are a valid concealed permit holder.

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/sheriff/sheriff_T62_R126.htm#shared%20info

mahkagari

imported post

Even being listed as a "person of interest" and then being drawn onstraight after being pulled overfor a "minor reason" sounds like a fish tale. Sounds more like the LEO had their hand resting on or near their weapon and the driver assumed the reason they were pulled over was for their CHP status. Or the "minor reason" was driving "only" 20 miles over the speed limit and they "only" cut off three people and it "only" took a mile for the driver to pull over.

I'm having trouble picturing it.

LEO runs a random license plate, vehicle displays as registered to X person with no warrants or criminal history but is listed as a "person of interest". Driver changes lanes without signaling. LEO pulls him over, draws his weapon and advances shouting:

"Keep your hands where I can see them!! Don't move! Don't move!! Colorado law requires....DON'T MOVE.....Colorado law requires you to signal a lane change 100 feet beforehand!!! SLOWLY hand over your license and registration!! SLOWLY!!!"

bomber

imported post

123wer456wer789wer wrote:
A friend of mine said that cops pull you over differently based on your concealed carry status. He said that the cops were pulling him over for minor reasons with their guns drawn because they had him on a list of concealed carry people. I thought that they were not legally allowed in Denver to keep the list? Is that a State law, City law, Federal law, or what?

cops do lots of things that are illegal, so i wouldnt put it past them

but, how does your friend know that he is being targeted because of his CCL?

PT111

imported post

We hear about these special lists and being targeting constantly from law abiding citizens that have never done anything worng in their life except possibly purchased a gun or have a CCW/CPL/CWL....

Cops do tend to target certain types of people more than other types. My mother was driving my brothers Z-28 Camaro with tinted wndows and the whole mess one day when she was pulled over. The LEO walked up to the car and she rolled the window down. She said all of a sudden his mouth dropped wide open and almost couldn't ask for her license.:what: He thought sure he had some teen-age boy and here was this little 70 year-old lady sitting behind the steering wheel. She said he finally got out all the words about drivers license, registration etc., checked them over,told her to slow down and sent her on her way without even a warning ticket. Now if it had been my brother I am sure that he would have gotten that ticket for doing 70 in a 55 zone. Yup, he would have been targeted because he was a teen age boy. Yup, people with permits get targeted when they are doing 20 MPH over the speed limit and when I hear most people complain about being targeted it's because of something totally different that what they think. :banghead:

Gunslinger

imported post

There's no way a cop running your plate knows you have a CCW in CO. There is no "person of interest" list based upon CCW. Othwise, 50% of El Paso County would be on it. And more importantly, anyone may have a loaded, concealed or OC'd handgun in his car anywhere in CO--including Denver. So what would be the purpose of any list?

cscitney87

imported post

http://www.rmgo.org/ccwguide/CCIC.shtml

http://www.rmgo.org/alerts/2003-ccic.shtml

Q: Is my name entered into any kind of database if I am a Concealed Handgun Permit holder in the State of Colorado?
A: Yes. If you possess a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State of Colorado, your name and other identifying information will be entered into the CCIC (CBI computer system). It will be accessible only by law enforcement and cannot be shared with anyone outside of law enforcement (i.e., the general public or the media). This database is not used for compilation purposes (facts, figures or lists); it is similar to how a driver’s license is entered into a State of Colorado database and is necessary for use in law enforcement situations.

Gunslinger

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:

Q: Is my name entered into any kind of database if I am a Concealed Handgun Permit holder in the State of Colorado?
A: Yes. If you possess a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State of Colorado, your name and other identifying information will be entered into the CCIC (CBI computer system). It will be accessible only by law enforcement and cannot be shared with anyone outside of law enforcement (i.e., the general public or the media). This database is not used for compilation purposes (facts, figures or lists); it is similar to how a driver’s license is entered into a State of Colorado database and is necessary for use in law enforcement situations.
This is rather old info. El Paso County Sheriff Terry Makkita does not enter names anywhere, and there is no linkbetween DL info and this data base. As I said above, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car anywhere in Colorado, so what purpose is served by some cop knowing you have a CCW--passed background check, when some dirtbag doesn't and intends to shoot the first cop he sees? Where is the greater risk? To me, this is a non-issue.

cscitney87

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

This is rather old info. El Paso County Sheriff Terry Makkita does not enter names anywhere, and there is no linkbetween DL info and this data base. As I said above, you can carry a loaded handgun in your car anywhere in Colorado, so what purpose is served by some cop knowing you have a CCW--passed background check, when some dirtbag doesn't and intends to shoot the first cop he sees? Where is the greater risk? To me, this is a non-issue.
A timely removal from the file means an immediate removal once the
originating agency has documentation the fugitive has been arrested or is no
longer wanted in Colorado. Timely system inquiry means initiation of the
transaction before an officer begins writing an arrest or citation document of
any kind
; storing inquiries when CCIC is down and submitting them at once
when the system returns, regardless of whether the subject is still in custody;
inquiry prior to the release of a person who has been incarcerated; and
inquiry upon those who appear at a custodial facility to visit inmates before
the visitor leaves the facility.
Timeliness of entry/modification in the Missing Person File is the same as in
the Wanted Person File.
Timely entry/modification of vehicle, license plate, and vehicle part data
matches the wanted person standard, less the extradition considerations.
Entry should be made as soon as cross-checking with the Motor Vehicle
Division files has been completed.

Source: https://www.cjisportal.com/CO/resources/cciccoordinatordocumentwithppt.pdf

cscitney87

imported post

I. PURPOSE: To establish guidelines governing the access, use and security of the mobile data
terminals used by personnel of the Sheriff’s Office.
II. DEFINITIONS:
CCIC/NCIC: Colorado Crime Information Center/National Crime Information Center.
MDC: Mobile Data Computer.
MIT: Manager of Information Technology.
III. POLICY: It is the policy of the Sheriff’s Office to protect sensitive and personal information as is
consistent with CCIC and NCIC regulations. Mobile display terminals are currently being
implemented for use in patrol vehicles to provide field units with immediate access to the CCIC/NCIC

system, as well as standard forms utilized by the Sheriff’s Office.

http://shr.elpasoco.com/NR/rdonlyres/F3DDC7DC-CF2E-42C5-B1E8-77FDAA099885/0/722POLICY080206.pdf

cscitney87

imported post

The following Sheriff Departments are entering concealed carry permit
holders into CCIC. Included are the number of entries into that
database from that department (if the number is very small, such as El
Paso county, it means they are not entering permit holders into CCIC):

Sheriff Offices

SO Adams County 732 < Crappy
SO Arapahoe County 146
SO Archuleta County 151
SO Boulder County 669 < Crappy
SO Delta County 182
SO Dolores County 27
SO Eagle County 42
SO Elbert County 18
SO El Paso County 1 < Good news there
SO Fremont County 103
SO Gilpin County 34
SO Gunnison County 77
SO Hinsdale County 36
SO Jefferson County 1460 < Crappy
SO Kit Carson County 40
SO Lake County 38
SO La Plata County 666
SO Larimer County 2425
SO Lincoln County 5
SO Logan County 54
SO Mesa County 1085
SO Moffat County 6
SO Montezuma County 1
SO Montrose County 389
SO Otero County 32
SO Ouray County 11
SO Pitkin County 27
SO Rio Blanco County 100
SO San Juan County 4
SO Teller County 167
SO Yuma County 22
SO Broomfield 103

Very old information here posted on a few websites around the net. Anyone find the current figures?

cscitney87

imported post

Patrol cars CERTAINLY do have unabridged access to CCIC as well as the National database.

A FIRST AND LAST NAME is going to provide the information to query CCIC/NCIC.
A state drivers license or ID is going to provide the information to query CCIC/NCIC.

An officer running your name for warrants or running your name for literally anything will easily be able to furnish your CHP information.

"A friend of mine said that cops pull you over differently based on your concealed carry status. He said that the cops were pulling him over for minor reasons with their guns drawn because they had him on a list of concealed carry people."

Your license plate brings up First Name and Last Name of course; but the Driver of the vehicle is Not always the registered owner- and police obviously know this. Unless an officer is taking a guess; from a physical description in the system; he's not going to automatically assume the registered owner of the vehicle is Driving, is he? See? The information is readily available; but nobody knows the future- the officer won't know exactly who is the Driver until approach and validation at the window.

Gunslinger

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:

A timely removal from the file means an immediate removal once the
originating agency has documentation the fugitive has been arrested or is no
longer wanted in Colorado. Timely system inquiry means initiation of the
transaction before an officer begins writing an arrest or citation document of
any kind
; storing inquiries when CCIC is down and submitting them at once
when the system returns, regardless of whether the subject is still in custody;
inquiry prior to the release of a person who has been incarcerated; and
inquiry upon those who appear at a custodial facility to visit inmates before
the visitor leaves the facility.
Timeliness of entry/modification in the Missing Person File is the same as in
the Wanted Person File.
Timely entry/modification of vehicle, license plate, and vehicle part data
matches the wanted person standard, less the extradition considerations.
Entry should be made as soon as cross-checking with the Motor Vehicle
Division files has been completed.

Source: https://www.cjisportal.com/CO/resources/cciccoordinatordocumentwithppt.pdf
This is talking about arrests, not simple traffic stops. Cops check for wants and warrants, not CCW permits, routinely. No background check database exists when buying a handgun in Colorado. Once approved, the record is purged, I believe within 24-48 hours. Of course, individual Sheriffs vary as to CCW lists. El Paso does not maintain them for general usage. This from Makitta.

Gunslinger

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
The following Sheriff Departments are entering concealed carry permit
holders into CCIC. Included are the number of entries into that
database from that department (if the number is very small, such as El
Paso county, it means they are not entering permit holders into CCIC):

Sheriff Offices

SO Adams County 732 < Crappy
SO Arapahoe County 146
SO Archuleta County 151
SO Boulder County 669 < Crappy
SO Delta County 182
SO Dolores County 27
SO Eagle County 42
SO Elbert County 18
SO El Paso County 1 < Good news there
SO Fremont County 103
SO Gilpin County 34
SO Gunnison County 77
SO Hinsdale County 36
SO Jefferson County 1460 < Crappy
SO Kit Carson County 40
SO Lake County 38
SO La Plata County 666
SO Larimer County 2425
SO Lincoln County 5
SO Logan County 54
SO Mesa County 1085
SO Moffat County 6
SO Montezuma County 1
SO Montrose County 389
SO Otero County 32
SO Ouray County 11
SO Pitkin County 27
SO Rio Blanco County 100
SO San Juan County 4
SO Teller County 167
SO Yuma County 22
SO Broomfield 103

Very old information here posted on a few websites around the net. Anyone find the current figures?
Good info, even if outdated.