• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IDCDL Events and Activities

ecocks

imported post

We're getting up some more momentum and interest so it seems like a good ideatoa place where we can keep Summer of '10 activities posted. I will try to keep this bumped to the top few posts and will be responsible for updating this as plans change between now and September.

Idaho Citizen's Defense League Activity Calendar Summer of 2010

April

8th - Monthly Meeting (Topic: OC and the Police)

18th - Shoot (George Nourse Public Range, Nampa)

24th - Short notice breakfast - Sunrise in Caldwell - 5 attending

May

2nd - Picnic at Park, Nampa (Great success! 45 in attendance)

13th - Monthly Meeting (Topic:Training)

23rd - Shoot and Cook (Nourse Range) Cancelled due to poor weather

June

10th - Monthly Meeting (Topic: Elections - Who you going to vote for?)

13th - Shoot and Cook (Nourse Range)

July

4th - Cookout (?????)

8th- Monthly Meeting (Topic: ?????)

18th - Shoot (?????)

August

12th - Monthly Meeting (Topic: ?????)

15th - Shoot (?????)

September

9th - Monthly Meeting (Topic: ?????)

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I am curious, is there some reason you don't vary the days? Always Thursday/Sunday and you'll end up excluding several people who wish to participate. Maybe vary the days every now and then?

ecocks

imported post

The regular, set meetings for business affairs are just that, set meetings at a regular time and place. However, we get together in smaller groupsnumerous times throughout the monthin various locations for coffee, breakfast, a burger or a slice of pie. Announce a time and date up in your zone and see how many are able to swing by that way.

Sunday afternoon shoots seem to work better, but feel free to propose one for Saturday, Thursday orwhatever suits you. We'll see what happens. We tried to getthe gals out on Tuesday night once and maybe it's time for that again since we have more women now.

Next meeting we're hoping to have a presentation on gun care from a local gunsmith or we'll still discuss training.

If anyone feels up to doing a seminar on reloading/handloading feel free to propose a date if the schedule doesn't fit.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

ecocks wrote:
The regular, set meetings for business affairs are just that, set meetings at a regular time and place.
I think that's what we were both referring to; suits me fine as I have Thursdays off. Part of the reason you have not seen me there is Boiseshooters has it's meeting on that day, and they have about 20-30 people on average that show, doing similar talks and bringing guest experts in to talk as well. (We're having problems with our meeting spot, long story, but maybe we want to join forces even?)
Anyone can shoot and get together for fun anytime of course, and I often do with several members that aren't very active on the board, but if you want more participation in the "business" side of it, it would be wise to alternate the meetings every month. It was a previous problem and common complaint when we've done these before.

Curious though...I see lots of "fun" events. Is the organization talking about taking more action than just getting together for coffee and shooting? We have county laws and city laws that need repealed, concealed weapons law repealed (ie. Arizona), public transportation "no weapons" signs removed, etc...just off the top of my head.

Just my constructive 2 cents; I am sincerely glad you two (John and Ecocks) are taking the initiative to organize these events. No one had wanted to step up to that plate in awhile. Thanks again!

ecocks

imported post

Carts, horses, chickens, eggs....

Yes it would be great to influence legislation and right the injustices and unreasonable discrimination we suffer daily.Let's get the laws changed or enforced properly and make sure we are living in the country that they thought they were setting up 230 years ago.

The problem is that there are really only two realistic options open to us to achieve this goal.

One is to aggressively seek to force confrontation in an effort to initiate test cases and possible progression through the courts of constitutional and legal issues . It's expensive, potentially dangerous and most (but not all) seem to feel the risk of a setback (contrary ruling, jail time, bad publicity, etc.), financial disaster (law fees, judgements, time off work, loss of job, etc.) and, of course, the potential for violence and injury are simply not worth it.

The second option is to build an organization with sufficient numbers, credibility and presence to be taken seriously by the citizenry our politicians and those in a position to effect the changes (back to the original intent) that we desire. To do that we need a group which can gainthat audience through numbers and demeanor. Few people are interested in attending rallies or protests due to a perception that rocking the boat prematurely is counter-productive to our objectives.

If anyone wants to jump up and try to submit proposed legislation to the state government or initiate a confrontation with some place like Idaho Pizza or a LE orgainzation, by all means, feel free to try to do it. Just be sure you are ready for the consequences from ALL parties concerned. There are quite a few CC people, NRA members, LEO's, prosecutors, anti's, etc., etc. who will climb on the bandwagon to judge your personal motivation in that event.

Should you not do it from fear of persecution? NO, civil disobedience is often necessary to effect change. Just be sure you are ready for the consequences at all levels from all directions which will result from certain actions.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Well spoken, though I have a feeling you believe I'm looking for some kind of "confrontation" when I say "action". I simply mean has the group decided on some clear goals? Where are we taking this group? What are the core values, etc? Or is it just a club? And thats fine too as getting together with like minded people on a regular basis certainly helps the movement.

The kind of action I'm talking about is a little easier. To date, much through the actions of our members, we have helped educate several county and city police forces, successfully convinced Boise to ignore their own ordinance, convinced Walmart, Starbucks, and Cabella's to change their cooperate policies on a national level, and our members locally helped bring about the most recent preemption law. Our members have convinced county officials to enforce our rights on county property such as the fairgrounds and have restored a sense of normality to the peaceful open carry of weapons. One of our members several years ago had his concealed weapons license revoked simply for open carrying like we enjoy on a regular basis. It was his hearing that settled the issue in Idaho over weather a sheriff could revoke a license for peaceful open carry. (They can't).

Letters are easy to write folks, and were the main force behind ALL of the above changes. None required arrest or forceful confrontation. But they did require us to identify a problem and make a plan to address it. Gun rights have moved further in our direction the past several years and have gained momentum against the "anti" crowd. I can't think of a better time to go on the offensive than when we are winning the battle!

If you guys want to have a club, great! I'll probably be at some shooting events this summer. But if we want change, we're gonna have to do more than drink lattes.

ecocks

imported post

What "action" would you like to undertake to influence legislation by the present group?

ISRAEL

imported post

I am so new at this O.C. movement, and to learn about all this laws, I am enjoying everything is been written about the club, maybe you can join the group and explain to me specially, I want to leave a" free" Idaho (about firearms) to my grand kids, I may move back to El Salvador, but I want my grant kids enjoy the freedom of O.C. (I am leaving them all my guns), I wish I can express myself better,but I can't, please come to our meetings and start working with ideas in what to do, I am ready to help. Israel.

ISRAEL

imported post

ISRAEL wrote:
I am so new at this O.C. movement, and to learn about all this laws, I am enjoying everything is been written about the club, maybe you can join the group and explain to me specially, I want to leave a" free" Idaho (about firearms) to my grand kids, I may move back to El Salvador, but I want my grant kids enjoy the freedom of O.C. (I am leaving them all my guns), I wish I can express myself better,but I can't, please come to our meetings and start working with ideas in what to do, I am ready to help. Israel.
I was reding the posts in the state of Nevada, and they are having a " coffe whith the mayor of L.V, that will be an idea to invite the mayor of Boise,or Meridian,or Nampa, or Caldwell, we live in those cities, ..Good or bad idea ??????

IndianaBoy79

imported post

ecocks wrote:
What "action" would you like to undertake to influence legislation by the present group?
At the moment, the legislature is out of session, but we should be gearing up for the next one. Our values, beliefs, and goals should be clearly defined so we can stand together on common ground. You and I are always going to have trouble seeing eye to eye, but certainly there are goals, values, and beliefs we share....those things should be the focus of the group. Once we know where we want to go, we can better map a way to get there.
Mr. McKenzy should be invited to a meeting...I'm certain he'd want to attend. He would better be able to give ideas on how to support him and others like him in our legislature. Since we have his ear already, just letting him know what we want would be a great first step.
How many of you have been to a state legislature session? There are times when the public is allowed to be heard; we should show up to these and let our voice be heard.
Local laws will be MUCH easier to attack, but it requires us to show up to city council meetings to ask for unlawful ordinances to be repealed. It also requires us to network with the rest of us in central and northern Idaho. We should all start by looking at our own cities and checking out the process for change. Research research research is the first step.
Local "rules" set by agencies under government control should be addressed with the particular agency. For instance, the bus's and their refusal to remove their no weapons signs. We should all be writing them and calling them, and if this doesn't work, I propose a group bus ride.
Does someone have a particular issue they're worried about? Bring it up! Let's see if there isn't something we can do about it. Some of the ideas will be viable, some won't. We need to sort through and see which ones have a chance and also which ones our members are interested in stepping up to.
A larger group will certainly be more effective and we need to focus some of our attention on growing it, but our current size shouldn't stop us from taking whatever action we can. The changes we've already accomplished sometimes only required action by one person. These are not well fleshed out ideas, but they are a starting point. Discussion is important and we should all be brainstorming along these lines.

ecocks

imported post

I disagree and believe it will be a mistake,but hey, invite whoever you wish.

ISRAEL

imported post

I must be a dumb and dumber, but I don't know what is going on here, it seems to mea pointless argument , I hope this do not divide us, A divided group can be destroy, we are a new group, and need a lot of ideas, and take the good ones, our group needs lots of people and lots of exellent ideas to grow, in the meetings of ideas ,there is wisdom, we said in spanish, to me it is healthy to know what every body think. sorry if I didn't express myself whith more clarity, I still learning this language.:banghead:

IndianaBoy79

imported post

ISRAEL wrote:
I must be a dumb and dumber, but I don't know what is going on here, it seems to mea pointless argument , I hope this do not divide us, A divided group can be destroy, we are a new group, and need a lot of ideas, and take the good ones, our group needs lots of people and lots of exellent ideas to grow, in the meetings of ideas ,there is wisdom, we said in spanish, to me it is healthy to know what every body think. sorry if I didn't express myself whith more clarity, I still learning this language.:banghead:
I agree, it is senseless. A simple answer that "we're a coffee club" would have sufficed for me.

ecocks

imported post

ISRAEL wrote:

It's not an argument David, it's a discussion between two individuals with differing viewpoints. As has been said several times, he's welcome to do what he wishes.

Or at least it was until he decided to put his little editorial comments in. Despite being told repeatedly you are welcome to attend, invite others and propose activities, you want to press thingswith your little "it's a coffee club" comment. You wonder why it didn't take off before Jason, maybe you should rethink your sarcasm and disdain for the people who don't immediately fall in line with what you think.

John Wolver

imported post

This is an Idaho ran, pro-carry gun group. WE want open carriers, concealed, hunters, self defense advocates. Anyone who is interested in there 2nd Amendment rights. Renormalizing guns in America.

This is our mission statement.

Our focus is to advocate for Idaho gun rights. Our current focus has been to build membership base, legitimize our position within the community and prepare our members for forthcoming actions.

Now do we meet at public places ( i.e. restaurants, coffehouses, malls, etc) yes. But this is all in the effort to keep in the mission statement of normalizing guns in America, education of the public and increase our membership.

We are not just a "coffee club", we are an organization in its infancy working to meet our starting goals. For us to truly be succesful we must meet our goals and then move on to bigger goals. To rush into anything too soon could cause our ruination.

Indianaboy79, you have some great ideas that do need to be recognized. So please, feel free to show up to the meetings, fill out an application and lend your ideas and vote to the majority.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

Fill out an application? lol What for?

I'll show up eventually. :) Don't make it to that area often, but I will make a better effort on my part.

Has someone been keeping "minutes" at the meetings? Would be useful for those not able to attend or those who miss a meeting every now and then.