• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Might Have a Job Offer in New Hamshire

.45acp

imported post

Hello All,

First post on the NH board, well it looks like I have a good job offer in your fine state. I'll be coming from AZ. I am used to carring OC or CC 7 days a week everywhere, without nary a sidelong glance. From what I have read here, OC is well accepted in NH, and NH is a "Shall Issue State" all good stuff.

Isthe daily carry of firearms accepted like AZ and UT? Anything in particular I should know before I pull up stakes and cross the Missisippi agian. (I swore I would never do that agian to live on the east coast).

Thanks,

Steve

NewHampshireNative

imported post

.45acp wrote:
Hello All,

First post on the NH board, well it looks like I have a good job offer in your fine state. I'll be coming from AZ. I am used to carring OC or CC 7 days a week everywhere, without nary a sidelong glance. From what I have read here, OC is well accepted in NH, and NH is a "Shall Issue State" all good stuff.

Isthe daily carry of firearms accepted like AZ and UT? Anything in particular I should know before I pull up stakes and cross the Missisippi agian. (I swore I would never do that agian to live on the east coast).

Thanks,

Steve

While Open carry is legal in NH you can still count on being stopped and asked for ID by police both local and state. You can also count on the sheep calling in the sheep dog hunters( The police) when they see you Open carrying. While it's not as bad in some parts of the state as others it still happens more then it should here. Their are groups trying to change the public's view on open carrying and gun rights as a whole. But NH is nothing like the Mid west where everyone and his brother carry's guns both Open and Concealed. If your moving here just for gun rights I would stay in AZ but it all depends on what part of the state your moving to. The northern part of the state is more easy going while parts of the state close to the MA boarder are more uptight about everything. I have to ask whats the Job that has you moving half way across the country? I hope it's not for a job at Strum Ruger.

Rush2112

imported post

Had a few beers with a rep from SR at Patrick's Pub in Gilford. He's based out of Texas but was up on business at the location in NH. Sounded like a great place to work, if only I wasn't a full time student.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

Rush2112 wrote:
Had a few beers with a rep from SR at Patrick's Pub in Gilford. He's based out of Texas but was up on business at the location in NH. Sounded like a great place to work, if only I wasn't a full time student.
He must be a subcontractor because Ruger has no plants or offices in Taxes. They have a plant in Newport,NH and one in Prescott, AZ. Now Newport is a crap hole of a town with a major major drug problem. Ruger has a plant in Newport NH consisting of three buildings. Building A is the office in the front and in the back is Pine Tree castings and across the brook and over the bridge is building C that's the main plant where everything is made. Then back across the brook next to building A is building B and that's the wood working building where they make all the stocks and grips and other wood products for the firearms.
Working for Rugers is a whole other story your record has to be clean as a bell and you have to pass background and drug testing. If you break so much as one rule they fire you on the spot. When and if you get a job there your given photo ID name badge with a color code for your department. Now a red badge is like a VIP badge and you can go into any part of the building you want. You are searched when entering the building and when leaving( even your lunch box) If you set off the metal detector you are set through again and then you are searched with a hand detector. If you argue with security you are reported and lose your job.
You are given a parking permit that must be displayed in your car windshield at all times. If you cant see the numbers you are given a warning by security that's left on your windshield if you get so many warnings you are given a parking ticket and may lose your parking privileges to park on company property. If you do park on company land and you have a rifle or bow in your car on a gun rack and security sees it while making it's rounds they stand by your car and call it in while another guard takes you to the parking lot to remove the rifle or bow from eye sight.
They use to have a smoking room for you to smoke in but they just made the whole place a smoke free work place. They use to allow you to smoke out in front of the building but now your not allowed to smoke on company land. I hear they are now letting you smoke on company land again because people where taking to long on break. They no longer give out bonuses and you can no longer get one FREE firearm a year. But you still get a discount after a year of working for them. You get a great big turkey on thanksgiving and Christmas.
I know all this because I use to work as a security guard at the Newport,NH plant. Ruger subcontracts it's security out to Allied Barton security and that's who I worked for. That's how I know so much about it on top of the fact that I know a lot of people who have worked/still work for Ruger as well as pine tree castings. Sorry I forgot about Southport, CT

Rush2112

imported post

He's in the white collar side of the business, not sure exactly what he does. I understand that they have SOMETHING in TX, though.

He may have told me but I'd already been drinking a bit when I met him.:lol:

.45acp

imported post

NewHampshireNative2005 wrote:

While Open carry is legal in NH you can still count on being stopped and asked for ID by police both local and state. You can also count on the sheep calling in the sheep dog hunters( The police) when they see you Open carrying. While it's not as bad in some parts of the state as others it still happens more then it should here. Their are groups trying to change the public's view on open carrying and gun rights as a whole. But NH is nothing like the Mid west where everyone and his brother carry's guns both Open and Concealed. If your moving here just for gun rights I would stay in AZ but it all depends on what part of the state your moving to. The northern part of the state is more easy going while parts of the state close to the MA boarder are more uptight about everything. I have to ask whats the Job that has you moving half way across the country? I hope it's not for a job at Strum Ruger.

Not moving there for the firearms freedom that is for sure...for that I'd stay in AZ or UT. I carry here 7 days a week, have had several police encounters, and all good. One Sheriff Deputy pulled me over for speeding and we got to comparing 1911’s alongside the road. Even ran into some Border Patrol late one night in the middle of nowhere that pulled me over because my vehicle fit the profile (Chevy Tahoe SUV) that smugglers and illegal smugglers like. When I got out with my holstered 1911 and cowboy hat, we talked for 30 min. about the dopers active in the area and that I was smart to carry. I advised that I had a AR15 cased in the back and they laughed. I shoot once a week with those guys now. I’ll say one thing for the LEO in this area, they appreciate folks that can take care of themselves.

But unfortunately I need a job and a good company has a project managers position open. I've turned down several jobs in Mass. and NJ. I am somewhat cautious anywhere east of the Mississippi River, especially with a long tern move.

Is NJ an ID on demand state? For driving yes, but can police require you to provide ID on demand…after all there is the 4[suP]th[/suP] amendment and the Terry Stop ruling. I don’t mind standing up for my rights….just as I stand up for law enforcement. But standing up for law enforcement does not mean that you need acquiesce to have YOUR rights violated.

And not to worry, I will not ever visit Mass. Didn’t lose a damn thing there that I need back.

I forgot to add that AZ Gov. Jan Brewer just today signed Consitutional Carry into law...AZ ROCKS!

Steve

nhsig220

imported post

.45acpwrote:
Is NJ an ID on demand state? For driving yes, but can police require you to provide ID on demand…after all there is the 4[suP]th[/suP] amendment and the Terry Stop ruling. I don’t mind standing up for my rights….just as I stand up for law enforcement. But standing up for law enforcement does not mean that you need acquiesce to have YOUR rights violated.

Smart man for turning down jobs in NJ and MA. ;)

As for NJ, not sure how it is supposed to be (legally), but I can tell you how it actually is. The cops can do whatever they wish. The wool warriors are a real treat to deal with. And this is coming from someone whos father retired from there. Go figure that. Basically, don't waste your time moving to Jersey.

.45acp

imported post

nhsig220 wrote:
Smart man for turning down jobs in NJ and MA. ;)

As for NJ, not sure how it is supposed to be (legally), but I can tell you how it actually is. The cops can do whatever they wish. The wool warriors are a real treat to deal with. And this is coming from someone whos father retired from there. Go figure that. Basically, don't waste your time moving to Jersey.
No worries, there are some places I will not live, Mass and NJ are right at the top to the list. I spent since 97 living overseas, I had firearms in Brazil (Glock and 12ga. riot gun) for home defence. The year that I've been back I realized just how much I missed carrying. For the past year, I have carried everyday with the exception of a 2 day trip to Houston......I won't live without the right to carry agian.

Steve

nhsig220

imported post

Then by all means, if you have a chance for a good job, come on up to NH. We'd love to have you and you'll love it here. A bit colder then AZin the winter months though. ;)

KBCraig

imported post

You'll actually have more firearms freedom in NH than in AZ. AZ has some places that are statutorily off-limits for handguns, whether open or concealed. NH has exactly one place that is off limits by statute: court rooms. That's the entire list.

NH does prohibit unlicensed carry of a loaded gun (open or concealed, handgun or long) in a motor vehicle. But with a cheap license that must be issued within 10 days, it's hard to get too worked up over that burden.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I've been open carrying in NH for two years now and have yet to have a negative run in with the police. I get a lot of positive comments. It's all in how you carry yourself.

.45acp

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
I've been open carrying in NH for two years now and have yet to have a negative run in with the police. I get a lot of positive comments. It's all in how you carry yourself.
I have had the same experiance, dress and manors go along way when OC'ing.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

.45acp wrote:
LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
I have had the same experiance, dress and manors go along way when OC'ing.

Yep. If you act normally, people treat you normally. If you act paranoid, people reasonably assume you're up to no good. Open carry proudly and know that you're doing nothing wrong. That's the best way to have positive experiences.

.45acp

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
Yep. If you act normally, people treat you normally. If you act paranoid, people reasonably assume you're up to no good. Open carry proudly and know that you're doing nothing wrong. That's the best way to have positive experiences.

I am in absolute agreement with you. I carry every day; everywhere I go (except of course those place specifically prohibited by law). The more you carry the more you become accustomed to carry and the firearm blends with you. The important aspect of OC, is to be comfortable with the fact that you are armed….People can read your discomfort….just as they can read a person at ease with their own presence.

Steve

Jay

imported post

Here is a perfect example: This past Saturday afternoon my better half and I went for a walk around the block with our dog I was O/C'ing as I normally do. We live in an apartment complex as we were entering the driveway to the parking lot. There was a PD cruiser pulling out of the parking lot of my complex with two officers inside. My strong side was to them I waived they waived, and they kept on driving.