• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Ecorse Police

JamesIan

imported post

Tuesday morning, on my way up to the 2A rally, I dropped off the registration for new Ruger 22/45 at the Ecorse PD.

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from them. The woman who does the paperwork told me I needed to bring in my pistol because there was some confusion about the caliber. I assured her that it was a .22LR and not a .45. I explained that 22/45 was the type of Mark III pistol. She seemed to accept that in lieu of me bringing my gun down to the PD (which I am loathe to do).

At the end of the conversation, she wanted me to know that the PD can require you to bring in the pistol if they need to. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of request. If so, under the authority of what MCL would this requirement be made?

DanM

imported post

JamesIan wrote:
At the end of the conversation, she wanted me to know that the PD can require you to bring in the pistol if they need to. . . . If so, under the authority of what MCL would this requirement be made?

None. You have no duty beyond ensuring you do not make materially false statements on license or registration paperwork and turning in the license or registration paperwork to your local PD.

MCL 28.422 and 28.422a contain a description ofyour duties as purchaser and the local PD duties. Nothing in there creates a duty for you to physically present the firearm, nor for them to require you to do so.

A correct response to the PD clerk might be, for example, "The registration [or licensing] paperwork is correct. I am not required, by law, to present the firearm. If you require more training about what you see on the paperwork, please see your supervisor."

Beerme

Banned
imported post

JamesIan wrote:
Tuesday morning, on my way up to the 2A rally, I dropped off the registration for new Ruger 22/45 at the Ecorse PD.

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from them. The woman who does the paperwork told me I needed to bring in my pistol because there was some confusion about the caliber. I assured her that it was a .22LR and not a .45. I explained that 22/45 was the type of Mark III pistol. She seemed to accept that in lieu of me bringing my gun down to the PD (which I am loathe to do).

At the end of the conversation, she wanted me to know that the PD can require you to bring in the pistol if they need to. I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of request. If so, under the authority of what MCL would this requirement be made?
I feel ya
waterford PD screwed with me on my day at the park with the lady on wednesday.
Dropped of three Pistol Purchase Permits.
Two were for registering my AK and a Shotgun as Michigan Pistols, I made that VERY VERY CLEAR.
third was for the sigpro I picked up

Got a phone call, we were havin lunch so i let it go to voicemail
Check it
Hi this is (name) from waterford police department there was a problem with your permits could you call us back please.
problem 1&2
" You signed off as the seller and buyer on the 12ga and the wasr10"
had to spend 10 minutes explaining why it was like that to her.
Problem 3
"the person you bought the sig from wasn't the registered owner"
first thing I thought was FML
"He owned it at one point but that was in 1952"
Told her she was wrong
That gun was not made until 1998 look again
"OHHHHHHHHHH Thats his birthday"
how do these people have jobs