• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank Of Mauston Help.

Mlutz

imported post

I was kicked out of the Bank Of Mauston this morning, for going in while openly carrying. They do not have any signs on the doors, or anywhere else that I have looked. I was told I could not enter a bank with a wepon. On my way out, I stopped at the reception desk and asked for the contact info for the owner, I was told by the recptionist, "The police have advised us to not let people in who have wepons. They told us youcan do it on the streets, butyou cannot enter a private buisness." I know I need to contact the bank owner, but would like any help anyone could give me. Thank you in advance.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

As a private business they certainly have a right to inform you of their policy and it was good of you to leave without an argument. They have no obligation to place a sign at the door, but you must leave immediately when they verbally notice you.

There is really nothing to be done here except look for an OC-friendly bank and take your business there.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Mlutz wrote:
"The police have advised us to not let people in who have weapons.
If the quoted statement above is true, I would try to find out why the police in that area would say such a thing

By what authority does the local police department have to set up rules and regulations for a business owner? Didn't the Cudahy police do something similar by approaching business and telling them to put up "No Weapons" signs.

Business owners do have the legal ability to ask that you do not have a firearm with you in their building, but the police do not have the authority to demand that a business does so.

Mlutz

imported post

Spartacus wrote:
As a private business they certainly have a right to inform you of their policy and it was good of you to leave without an argument. They have no obligation to place a sign at the door, but you must leave immediately when they verbally notice you.

There is really nothing to be done here except look for an OC-friendly bank and take your business there.
What if it is not the policy? Example, getting kicked out of a Wal-Mart by an employee who says the policy is "x" when it is really "y".

bigdaddy1

imported post

Mlutz wrote:
I was kicked out of the Bank Of Mauston this morning, for going in while openly carrying. They do not have any signs on the doors, or anywhere else that I have looked. I was told I could not enter a bank with a wepon. On my way out, I stopped at the reception desk and asked for the contact info for the owner, I was told by the recptionist, "The police have advised us to not let people in who have wepons. They told us youcan do it on the streets, butyou cannot enter a private buisness." I know I need to contact the bank owner, but would like any help anyone could give me. Thank you in advance.

Please try to see if there was a memo or letter from the police dept indicating this. See if you can get a copy

CUOfficer

imported post

I am sure that bnhcomputing or the Wisconsin Carry Chairman will be along and have better answers for you. However, contact the bank's owner or manager and inquire about the policy. It does not have to be posted and when asked to leave you must or you will face disorderly conduct. My credit union has a no firearms policy in the manual but we do not have signs at the door. Technically, you could walk in and do your business while carrying and it might not be noticed. However, the second it is noticed and you are asked to leave, you must do so.

If the manager "sticks to his gun" -love that pun, then inform him that you will take your business elsewhere and inform all of your friends about their policy. Sorry for the shameless plug but join a credit union, banks are crooks.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I agree, go back into the bank with an empty holster. Withdraw all of your funds and place them in the empty holster and then leave. Find a Bank that supports your rights.

It's not like you make a ton of money off the interest anyways.

Credit Unions are also an option.

CUOfficer

imported post

Just any fyi, if you decide to close out your account, they may not provide you with all of your funds immdediately. Check your account disclosures for this. They have several days to make your total funds available to you.

Support The 2nd

imported post

I would find out who the manager/owner is and request a meeting with him/her.

In that meeting, try to discover who exactly "advised" them. Also point out, that you get (understand) their fear, but that there has never been an incident where an individual, known to the bank, entered the bank without disguise while open carrying and then robed the bank. Let them know that FEAR should not set policy.

Point out that to travel from your home/car to the bank exposes you to significantly more risk of being mugged(because you cannot carry there) so their policy directly effects you "outside" of their business.

Lastly, there is nothing illegal with your actions, but they are adopting a prejudice policy. As a matter of principle, I cannot do business with individuals/businesses who support prejudice of this type. You could use Pierce's analogy that they don't want your kind in their bank. The policy is discriminatory in nature.

As a last resort, tell them you will take you money and go elsewhere, then sit outside the bank on their busiest days with a sign that says, "This financial institution discriminates against minority groups they disapprove of."

Call 'em like you see 'em

Mlutz

imported post

You guys are great, thank you very much for all the suggestions. I will be getting in touch with the owner and gettingthis straightenedout.