• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Court of Appeals - State college gun carry bans may be unlawful - hit poll!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

UPDATE: Keep hitting this poll at http://www.9news.com

--

Though simply reversing a dismissal below and the case goes back to the lower court and continues to be litigated, this opinion is great news for those trying to make state agency preemption arguments against gun carry bans by state agencies like state colleges - in many states, explicit state gun policy preemption language often applies only to localities.

---

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus v. Regents of the University of Colorado

SNIP

[align=left]In this case of first impression, we consider whether the Concealed Carry Act (CCA), sections 18-12-201 to -216, C.R.S. 2009, applies to universities. Because the statute expressly applies to “all areas of the state,” we conclude that plaintiffs have stated a claim for relief under the CCA. We further conclude that plaintiffs have stated a claim for relief under Colorado Constitution article II, section 13, which affords individuals the right to bear arms in self-defense.[/align]

[align=left]. . . [/align]

[align=left]Plaintiffs contend the trial court erred in ruling that their complaint failed to state a claim for relief under the CCA. We agree. . . . [/align]

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some quotes from this article: http://www.gazette.com/articles/sides-97181-campus-court.html

"The appeals panel also agreed that the students had a legitimate claim in their arguments that the gun ban violated their right to bear arms under the Colorado Constitution."

My comment: Yes

"The handful of students who offered opinions were mostly alarmed by the news, calling the prospect of people walking around with guns “scary” and “dangerous.”

My comment: I sincerely doubt it was "mostly," unless the reporter surrounded himself with anti-gun nuts in an attempt to push his own narrow point of view.

“This is supposed to be a safe place,” said freshman Cody Millar, 18"

My comment: So was Virginia Tech, Cody. That's where I graduated. Look where their on-campus gun ban got them.

"We’re disappointed,” said Vice, who filed a brief in the lawsuit on behalf of the center. “If guns are permitted on campus, it will pose a serious danger to students and faculty. … There’s certainly no reason to allow loaded semiautomatic weapons on a college campus.”

My comment: "Certainly?" You mean other than the fact that several school shootings over the last decade could have been deterred or curtailed if students had been allowed to carry, right? Addendum: Dan Vice is an attorney for the Brady Center, so that tells you where he's coming from.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
imported post

And then throw this little tidbit into the mix.....

WASHINGTON (AP) — A government report finds that targeted violence on college campuses, from serious assaults to the mass shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007, is up sharply over the last two decades.

The study by the FBI, Secret Service and Education Department found that targeted campus violence is hardly a new phenomenon, citing for example a campus murder-suicide in 1909.

The incidence of such violence rose from 40 cases in the 1980s to 79 in the 1990s and 83 since 2000.

The report says the cause for the increase is unknown, though it noted a dramatic rise in college student enrollment in the past 20 years.

Targeted violence refers to cases where attackers select a specific victim beforehand — as opposed to violence that breaks out spontaneously, such as from an argument.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/16/govt-report-sees-increase-campus-violence/

Johnyt101

imported post

Could this case eventually reaffirm pre-emption in Denver? Or at least set precedent to make way for the dismissal of Denver's unconstitutional ban on OC.

DanM

imported post

Trailmaster wrote:
Poll on main page! Hit it!

http://www.9news.com

Ummm . . . yeah, folks, you need to hit it! Currently, us good guys are at 2,089 votes, anti-gunners are at 2,087. Let's lay the usualsmack-down on 'em.

I'm a little suspicious of the current poll results, though. Idon'tusually see anywhere near the number of anti-gunner votes on other polls on local media web-sites. I'm a bit suspicious of poll-rigging by an anti-gun web admin.

Article1section23

imported post

Thursday, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled in favor of a group that wants to let CU students with concealed gun permits carry their guns on campus. (Read story) How do you feel about the issue?

Students with permits should be allowed to carry guns
bar.jpg
3245 Votes

Guns do not belong on a college campus, even if students have permits
bar.jpg
3018 Votes

No opinion
bar.jpg
58 Votes

6321 Total Votes

KansasMustang

imported post

Just seems silly to me. 58 people go to the poll, and vote "no opinion" HA! Seems to me if you take the time to answer a poll surely you must have some opinion.

eye95

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Just seems silly to me. 58 people go to the poll, and vote "no opinion" HA! Seems to me if you take the time to answer a poll surely you must have some opinion.
Too many of these people go to the polls, and not finding "no opinion," choose to make history.

protias

imported post

I do not like permits but I think those who want to carry should be able to carry where and when they please.

olypendrew

imported post

I knew the Regent's ban was preempted by the passage of shall issue and preemption, even though Ken Salazar wrote an opinion to the contrary. I carried every single day when I was in law school at CU from 09/11 until I graduated three years later. I hoped I wouldn't be the test case. I'm glad these plaintiffs took on this challenge, and I'm glad they have won this stage of the appeal. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this isn't the last word on the matter from the Colorado courts.