• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shoulder holster

brian3127

imported post

i live in michigan.

my ?All i haveis shoulder holster. i wear it on theoutside of my shirt my arm covers part of the holster. would that be considered concealed.

The Atomic Ass

imported post

I would have to say no, and I would find it hard to imagine anyone calling it concealed but there are some real wacko's out there in blue uniforms, badges, and also in black robes.

I'd say go ahead, but be prepared for flack from LE.

Leader

imported post

One of the tests for concealed is if a reasonable person can tell you have a gun.

The shoulder holster is right up there almost at eye leval & really can't be missed.

neuroblades

imported post

First off, I do agree, a shoulder rigis the most obvious way of carrying a sidearm, it's right there and there's really no way of hiding it, per se.

With that being said, I had talked with a friend that's a Kentucky State Trooper, he advised me when I asked, that while it would seem to be open, it is best to not use one until you have a CCDW, just in case. He had advised that the best way to OC until the carrier had there CCDW was in a hip holster.

AS I said, I agree though that the shoulder rig would be the most obvious though. So, approach at your own risk or better yet, contact you state police or highway patrol.

younggun20

imported post

Utah code 76-10-501

(3) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

So in UT I would call it OC, a gun in a shoulder holster would be pretty noticeable. But as mentioned above the blue suit and shiny badge may think other wise.

jay75009

i think you would be all set. i OC 1/2 IWB all the time, my tactical glock holster likes to ride up and the tip of my gun plus 1/2 the holster finds its way into my waistband. as long as the weapon is visible i as a OCer would not see any issue but as before mentioned. some guys in blue with shiney badges might wanna give you an issue because their opinion differs . happy hunting :)

daddy4count

Local laws are going to apply, more than likely... and I am the farthest thing from a lawyer... but...

As long as you are not making an "effort to conceal" your weapon, most municipalities will consider it Open

heresyourdipstickjimmy

i live in michigan.

my ?All i haveis shoulder holster. i wear it on theoutside of my shirt my arm covers part of the holster. would that be considered concealed.

Here's what I've always been told by LEOs: If it can be seen from at least 2 positions it is not concealed, but that may differ from State to State and is always dependent upon how your State's statute is written. Personally, if there's no garment to cover the firearm it's clearly not concealed as it's readily identifiable as a firearm in a holster. (duh right?)

Last edited: