• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Separate holster belt

eye95

imported post

I am becoming less enamored of holsters that use my existing belt. My belt is sturdy enough. Unfortunately, the heft of my 1911 5" .45 bears down on my pants to the point where I feel uncomfortably like I am wearing my "pants on the ground."

Any suggestions for a belt and holster combination for my handgun? I must admit complete ignorance on the subject and am hoping to rely on the wisdom others have gained from experience.

Thanks in advance.

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

eye95 wrote:
I am becoming less enamored of holsters that use my existing belt.  My belt is sturdy enough.  Unfortunately, the heft of my 1911 5" .45 bears down on my pants to the point where I feel uncomfortably like I am wearing my "pants on the ground."

Any suggestions for a belt and holster combination for my handgun?  I must admit complete ignorance on the subject and am hoping to rely on the wisdom others have gained from experience.

Thanks in advance.

Find your local police supply shop, or go to cheaperthandirt.com and look for a duty belt.
I carry a 6" S&W 629, and a duty belt has been a lifesaver because of the weight of the gun.

eye95

imported post

Wow. Do I feel stupid. I just poked around in my closet and found my old equipment belt from when I was an SP in the AF. (I had to let it out about 10".) The belt is in like-new shape, despite being about 30 years old. My OWB paddle attaches securely, but I am just not sure it is the right kind of holster for the belt. The belt is a nylon web, about 2 3/8" wide, with metal-grommeted holes spaced about 2 3/8" horizontally and 1 5/8" vertically. It is doubled near the buckle (both sides) because it can expand about another foot. (I hope I never need that.)

So, any suggestions about a holster, or should I just keep using the paddle, or am I going to realize in a few hours that I just asked another stupid question?