• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC

imported post

I have never OC but would be willing to do so. I was driving from southern Oregon to Boise Idaho I got stopped in eastern Oregon By a state trooper when asked if I had any weapons I told him yes I did, all that got me was an hour wasted and a complete search of my car. So I am very much into protect our rights of right to own and bear firearms. If someone could help me I am new to this forum and would like to know what CHL means. Would someone help please?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

fuel_hauler@live.com wrote:
I have never OC but would be willing to do so. I was driving from southern Oregon to Boise Idaho I got stopped in eastern Oregon By a state trooper when asked if I had any weapons I told him yes I did, all that got me was an hour wasted and a complete search of my car. So I am very much into protect our rights of right to own and bear firearms. If someone could help me I am new to this forum and would like to know what CHL means. Would someone help please?

I suggest going to http://www.oregoncarry.com and get a license from Sheriff Palmer at the Grant County Sheriffs Office.

imported post

Well I was between Bend and Burns Oregon he stopped me for doing 59 in a 55 mph zone, as he came up to the car he saw a zip lock bag with my meds in it thyroid and high blood preasure, He made me get out of the car told me he wanted to search the car for illegal drugs asked if I had any weapons I told him yes a 9mm in a bag in the back, well they, 2 cars,4 cops went through everything and honest to God when he was done he looked so sad that he didnt find anything. Ended up giving me a warning for speeding. the rest of the day was really no better, we got followed by 4 other cop cars for at least 100 miles east of Burns. So needless to say to OC in Oregon makes me a little nervous. Goverment and cops have little care about our rights. Or at least thats what I think......Rights being taken away a little at a time.

imported post

Yes it was I had nothing to hide. and if I would have said no all they would have done is tell me they have reasonable cause. So I signed their little piece of paper and away they went. looking for what ever they thought I was carrying.

langzaiguy

imported post

Answering questions and complying with searches can never help you. While speeding is part of their business, it ends there. Your medical conditions, your prescription drugs, the contents of your car have nothing to do with them.

We-the-People

imported post

ALWAYS SAY "I do not consent to any searches"

If they say "We'll just get a warrant" tell them "go ahead". If they have probable cause they will search your vehicle whether you consent or not. When you consent (under duress or not) then they have a "free pass" and have no need to justify their search in a court.

They are doing nothing but using lies and intimidation to get you to "voluntarily" surrender your RIGHTS.

As for signing "the little piece of paper and away they went" you probably signed a consent form of some sort. You are only required to sign a "promise to appear" (ticket). Anything else you should refuse to sign. Too many people "cooperate" because they are more afraid of the inconvienience of being hassled for standing up for their rights. This only makes the government agents more confident in their ability to violate the rights of the next citizen/victim they encounter.

Remember, the majority of police officers are good officers. When you do encounter an officer be respectful and give them the benefit of the doubt (without surrendering any rights) until such time as the officer steps over the line of your rights. Even then, remain calm and collected but insist on your rights (i.e. to remain silent, refuse to consent to any searches, etc.), AND SAY SO in a calm and collected manner.

Mainsail

imported post

Yes it was I had nothing to hide. and if I would have said no all they would have done is tell me they have reasonable cause. So I signed their little piece of paper and away they went. looking for what ever they thought I was carrying.

There are people who were arrested, went to jail, and/or had their vehicle confiscated because they ‘had nothing to hide’ and allowed a search. Are you intimately familiar with the manufacture of meth? Like me, you’re probably not. I would never allow a search because I have no idea what seemingly innocent household items are used in making meth. In your particular case, one small zip-lock baggy, like the kind screws or nuts come in, is all the police need to charge you with distributing those prescription drugs.

It’s not so farfetched either. There was a story a while back about a woman driving through some southeastern state and she was stopped like you were. The police searched her car and discovered that an access cover to reach the gas-tank connections was missing. The mechanic who had fixed her car had inadvertently left the cover-plate off. The police determined that she could have been using that compartment to hide narcotics and they not only arrested her, but they confiscated her car!

Ask yourself, why are the police doing the search? Is it to help you in some way? NO. He’s not going to say, “Hey bud, your seatbelt is a bit frayed down here behind the seat, you might want to get that looked at.” The only reason he is asking your permission to search is because he’s hoping to get lucky and find something to arrest you for! WHY WOULD YOU OFFER TO ASSIST HIM? If he finds something and you are arrested, you cannot tell the judge, “I had no idea, I was just trying to be helpful!” It will not get you off because that’s what the real drug pushers say. Even if the judge decides the evidence is hokey, you will have spent a lot of money, risked your employment, and taken years off your life from the stress. It’s always important to understand the motivation; his is NOT to help you but to make an arrest. He doesn’t get a favorable performance report for the number of people he’s helped; he gets it for making arrests. That’s the metric. That’s the number he and his supervisors are looking for.

In your case, he stopped you for 59 in a 55, which was a pretext. Something about you or your car fit a profile. Out of state plates maybe? When he ordered you out of the car you should have gotten out and closed the door behind you, locking it if you can. The only area he’s legally allowed to search without your consent is anything in ‘plain view’. That means anything he can see looking through the windows if you managed to get the door shut. Unless you’re a super clean freak, there’s no telling what might have fallen down between or behind the seats. I recently found a small baggy on the floor under the passenger seat in my car, it had some hardware (little nuts and bolts) from something I’d installed inside the car. That alone is no big deal, but if he can make the nexus to something else, like in your case the prescription drugs, that’s all he needs to arrest you and because it involves ‘drugs’ the police department gets to keep your car. They’ll auction it off to buy brighter flashlights or little mirrors to make it easier to sting the next guy.

Window_Seat

imported post

And don't forget this one that "shocked" most people:

New study finds that 90% of U.S. currency has cocaine residue on it

Mainsail wrote:

...In your particular case, one small zip-lock baggy, like the kind screws or nuts come in, is all the police need to charge you with distributing those prescription drugs.

Erik.