• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Insurance?

YoZUpZ

imported post

Thats a cool idea, never thought or heard of something like that. The only problem that I could think of though, is some prosecutor bringing that up in the case saying, "hey, this guy was just itching to find a reason to shoot someone, look, he even has some 'shooter's insurance' to pay for his lawyer, who would buy shooters insurance unless they were expecting or looking to shoot someone." Then he would spend the trial finding ways to paint you as some sadistic freakwho spends every second of your day trying to find a way to "legally shoot and kill someone"

Not my opinion or outlook on the idea (I think its a neat idea), I could just see a prosecutor trying to pull some crap like that, and it would definitely sway the jury when they are deliberating, and they are like, "yeah, who the heck gets shooter's insurance? I've never even heard of that, have you"...

eye95

imported post

Q: Mr. eye, your house burned down?

A: Yes.

Q: Mr. eye, you purchased and maintained fire insurance on that house?

A: Yes, sir.

Q: Your Honor, I submit that Mr. eye intended for his house to burn to the ground. His purchase of insurance to protect himself against this unlikely, but possible, outcome is proof of his guilt!

eye95

imported post

Sorry about the double-post, but it just occurred to me that an insurance company might want to issue a group policy to members of this board who are willing to pay premiums for it.

John? Mike? Thoughts? Maybe you can "skim" a small commission from each policy to help defray OCDO's operational costs.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Just get some umbrella liability coverage as a rider on your home insurance, your insurance agent should be able to set you up. Last I checked, it was pretty cheap (only a couple hundred per year per $1million in coverage) and as one Epinions author puts it, "If you see any potential that any human... could in any way come to grief at the hands of anything you own or any creature for whom you are responsible, you might want to consider umbrella insurance."

Just make sure it covers all lawsuits and not just those arising from homeowner or auto insurance claims. Bill Clinton used his to pay part of his defenses against the Paula Jones harassment case.

CarryOpen

imported post

Will the insurance rider help cover an attorney if you are prosecuted? That's what we're talking about here.

I think that the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network is a good possibility. You also get some training discount benefits from them. As I recall LFI is an associate member.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

IANA Insurance Agent, but this day and age I'm sure you can find someone to sell you insurance for just about anything. That said, I think those umbrella riders just cover tort cases, and not criminal. Like I said, though, check with your agent.

Pace

imported post

It's basically legal fee insurance. There are all sorts of legal insurance available.

However, specifically to gun rights, interesting.