• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We got it.....

GWbiker

imported post

GWbiker wrote:

And the AZCDL made it all possible... (Join the AZCDL today)

Today, April 16, 2010, Governor Brewer signed SB 1108, the AzCDL-requested Constitutional Carry bill, into law. Arizona now becomes the third state to not require written permission from the government for law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to bear arms discretely. Because Arizona is the first state in the U.S. with a large urban population to take this significant step, this is a watershed moment for the entire country.

AzCDL has been working towards this moment since we formed 5 years ago. Constitutional Carry has always been one of our primary goals. Every success over the last 5 years has been pursued with today's historic occasion in mind. However, having a goal is meaningless without the support and activism of over 3,000 committed members. The citizens of Arizona, along with the citizens of other states that follow in our footsteps, owe YOU, the members of AzCDL, a debt of gratitude.

If you don't have a permit, don't start carrying concealed just yet. The law won't become effective until 90 days after "Sine Die" when the Legislature officially adjourns. Since they are still working through a slew of bills, we don't expect Sine Die anytime soon. In past years, the effective date of bills has been around September.

CCW permits still have a purpose. You'll need one to streamline gun purchases, to carry in states that honor Arizona permits and for carrying concealed in establishments that serve alcohol. And, the training you receive to obtain a permit is an added bonus. Along with restoring your right to bear arms, SB 1108 added additional training opportunities for obtaining a permit. NRA classes and training from places like Front Sight and Gunsite will be able to qualify as permit training.

If you decide not to obtain a CCW permit, that doesn't mean you shouldn't train. The heaviest thing about wearing a firearm is the responsibility that comes with it. Take that money that you save on permit and renewal fees and spend it on quality training as often as you can. Lead by example – the world is watching.

For the record, AzCDL contacted the other major candidates for Governor, Terry Goddard, Dean Martin, Buzz Mills, and John Munger, about whether they would have signed SB 1108. At this point Dean Martin, Buzz Mills, and John Munger have responded that they support the bill and would have signed it. We are still waiting to hear from Terry Goddard.

Stay tuned! When critical legislation moves, we will notify you via these Alerts.

If you want to get legislative news as it happens, follow AzCDL on Twitter: http://twitter.com/AzCDL_Alerts .
AzCDL "tweets" from the Capitol with committee votes and breaking news as it happens.

You can also follow AzCDL on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDL .

AzCDL's Political Action Committee (PAC) is also on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDLPAC .

These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization. Join today! http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html .

AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html .

Thoreau

imported post

I was almost expecting her to let it pass the 5 day mark so she could claim some sort of neutrality on it, or to possibly even veto it at the last minute to appear to have given it 'good thought.' I'm glad I was wrong on both counts!

This has been one hell of a year for Arizona gun rights, to say the least. As was stated in another thread, the USA is now up to 20% of its land mass allowing CC without a permission slip. This really could start turning the tides nationwide and is more of a national milestone than most people realize.

I think we still have a battle ahead though as now ANY case that involves a gun is gonna be spotlighted, skewed, and bent in any way possible to make the entire gun crowd look bad and to try and take ourrights away again. Hopefully the good guys can set the record straight in any such instances.

In any case, WOOHOOOOO!!!!!! I'll still keep my CCW permit active, but this is still a great day for AZ =)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! It's a done deal! TheBrady's will be doin' more flips than a headshot ground squirrel. I love it! God I love Arizona!

GWbiker

imported post

Thoreau wrote:I think we still have a battle ahead though as now ANY case that involves a gun is gonna be spotlighted, skewed, and bent in any way possible to make the entire gun crowd look bad and to try and take our rights away again.

Yes. Responsible Arizona gun owners will be in the spotlight for years to come.

We'll be walking a straight narrow line as the rest of the nation watches.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Congratulations Arizonians! Trendsetting for the entire country no doubt.

JesseL

imported post

There have been many times when I never would have believed we'd ever see such a massive restoration of rights.

SonoraRebel's got it right, this is huge.

Let's keep this momentum going.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would hope that if anyone is not a member of AZCDL, they would join after this. They are the reason this happened.

DustoneGT

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Excellent!!!

It would seem that all that's left is for a 10th Amendment full auto law to be passed.

Done. Firearms made in AZ and kept in AZ will be exempt from federal regulation. Passed and signed. Will take effect same time as constitutional carry.

The reasoning is that congress justified the NFA and 'machine gun' bans using an overly broad interpretation of the interstate commerce clause. The Firearms Freedom Act defines regulation of guns not involved in interstate commerce to be invalid.

Now we just need an AZ manufacturer of full auto guns.

Yes, I know the federal courts will back their buddies, but that just means we need the DPS to arrest BATFE agents for violating state law. Dump them off unarmed in Sonora and see how they fare.

It's high time for another Bisbee Deportation!

Michigander

imported post

DustoneGT wrote:
Done. Firearms made in AZ and kept in AZ will be exempt from federal regulation. Passed and signed. Will take effect same time as constitutional carry.

The reasoning is that congress justified the NFA and 'machine gun' bans using an overly broad interpretation of the interstate commerce clause. The Firearms Freedom Act defines regulation of guns not involved in interstate commerce to be invalid.

Yes, I know the federal courts will back their buddies, but that just means we need the DPS to arrest BATFE agents for violating state law. Dump them off unarmed in Sonora and see how they fare.

It's high time for another Bisbee Deportation!
Read the law. It does nothing to exempt many if not most DD's, full auto's, and 1.50 caliber plus firearms.

Believe me, I'm extremely excited, and cannot wait to move back when done with school and hopefully buy some unregistered NFA weapons. But there is still more to be done.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DustoneGT wrote:
I have a decade worth of requisite skills for that, but as another poster pointed out, the time has not yet arrived.

Holy crap!

This is amazing. While AK and NH always had it, this is the first state to rescind restrictions. And in a BIG way! This wasn't a little baby steps thing, holy crap!

I'm leaving ASAP!

I read so many iterations of the bill, I'm not entirely sure of some of the details. But CC w/o permit says most of what matters.

DEFENSOR

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Now the question comes down to this: What will Arizonans do when Obama says no?
I believe that by now not too many people care what obama says. I think that this is the first administration in a long time where the prez. is not the most powerful man in the world. He was a lame duck from the get go. :uhoh:

EdB

imported post

DEFENSOR wrote:
protector84 wrote:
I believe that by now not too many people care what obama says. I think that this is the first administration in a long time where the prez. is not the most powerful man in the world. He was a lame duck from the get go. :uhoh:
I thought the topic here was "open carry"? Does this always have to devolve into absurb political theater?

1) The POTUS, whether you like him or not, is the most powerful man in the world. This one is flexing that power in ways the moron he followed never imagined possible.
2) The current administration changed the National Park rules to follow state laws with regard to firearm regulations. Doesn't sound like a 'no' to me. Sounds like a states-rights type of move eh?
3) If you want to discuss politics take it elsewhere unless it relates to firearms. Fair warning: you'll lose if all you can do is regurgitate sound bites.

Sorry for ranting but I get sick and tired of those who value the 2nd amendment to assume the left side of the aisle isn't also armed. We're here, we won, get over it. Those of us on the left are also working very carefully and methodically to change the mindset of those on the left who can't seem to figure out that protecting rights is as valuable as extending rights to the disenfranchised AND that guns are not somehow automatically bad. Kinda like trying to convince tea-party idiots who shake their fists in anger over taxes despite the fact that under Obama taxes for 96% of American filing have dropped. Oh wait: it isn't like that because NO ONE on the political right is willing to slap down those morons.

DustoneGT

imported post

EdB wrote:
DEFENSOR wrote:
protector84 wrote:

I believe that by now not too many people care what obama says. I think that this is the first administration in a long time where the prez. is not the most powerful man in the world.  He was a lame duck from the get go. :uhoh:
I thought the topic here was "open carry"?  Does this always have to devolve into absurb political theater?

1) The POTUS, whether you like him or not, is the most powerful man in the world.  This one is flexing that power in ways the moron he followed never imagined possible.
2) The current administration changed the National Park rules to follow state laws with regard to firearm regulations.  Doesn't sound like a 'no' to me.  Sounds like a states-rights type of move eh?
3) If you want to discuss politics take it elsewhere unless it relates to firearms.  Fair warning: you'll lose if all you can do is regurgitate sound bites.

Sorry for ranting but I get sick and tired of those who value the 2nd amendment to assume the left side of the aisle isn't also armed.  We're here, we won, get over it.  Those of us on the left are also working very carefully and methodically to change the mindset of those on the left who can't seem to figure out that protecting rights is as valuable as extending rights to the disenfranchised AND that guns are not somehow automatically bad.  Kinda like trying to convince tea-party idiots who shake their fists in anger over taxes despite the fact that under Obama taxes for 96% of American filing have dropped.  Oh wait: it isn't like that because NO ONE on the political right is willing to slap down those morons.

The president is not supposed to be the most powerful man in the world. Break out your constitution and read it. The limitations on executive power as well as limitations on federal power as a whole are right there in plain English. Presidents who exercise power the way he does (and Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., and most of the rest in the 20th Century) are criminals. I'm sorry, but I have no respect for criminals no matter how much they wrap themselves in the flag.

National Park Carry only happened because they slipped it into a bill that was important to Obama for other reasons. Don't sit there and pretend he wanted it that way, that out of the goodness of his heart he gave us some great gift.

Everything is politics. Open Carry is all about politics. We deal with politics every day in our lives, so why not here?

Instead of making a lame attempt to stifle debate, why not join in and defend your ideas on their merits?

I agree that Tea Partiers are pretty good at displaying ignorance, they are protesting future taxes based on current spending levels because they usually don't know that the government will just inflate their way out. Taxation and spending are no longer connected so directly with the monetary system and fractional reserve central banking that lacks a commodity anchor. But does that mean we should slap them down? They have just as much right to display ignorance as you do.

Sure, 96% are paying lower taxes, but the value of their wages are being diluted by the Federal Reserve. The hidden tax of inflation grinds on the poor more than anybody else.

The Tenth Amendment is the key to solving all of this. If that offends those who glory in executive federal power, so be it.