• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We got it....Constitutional carry

GWbiker

imported post

...And now, the rest of the story from Arizona....

YOU (Arizona citizens) did it! Today, April 16, 2010, Governor Brewer signed SB 1108, the AzCDL-requested Constitutional Carry bill, into law. Arizona now becomes the third state to not require written permission from the government for law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to bear arms discretely. Because Arizona is the first state in the U.S. with a large urban population to take this significant step, this is a watershed moment for the entire country.

AzCDL has been working towards this moment since we formed 5 years ago. Constitutional Carry has always been one of our primary goals. Every success over the last 5 years has been pursued with today's historic occasion in mind. However, having a goal is meaningless without the support and activism of over 3,000 committed members. The citizens of Arizona, along with the citizens of other states that follow in our footsteps, owe YOU, the members of AzCDL, a debt of gratitude.

If you don't have a permit, don't start carrying concealed just yet. The law won't become effective until 90 days after "Sine Die" when the Legislature officially adjourns. Since they are still working through a slew of bills, we don't expect Sine Die anytime soon. In past years, the effective date of bills has been around September.

CCW permits still have a purpose. You'll need one to streamline gun purchases, to carry in states that honor Arizona permits and for carrying concealed in establishments that serve alcohol. And, the training you receive to obtain a permit is an added bonus. Along with restoring your right to bear arms, SB 1108 added additional training opportunities for obtaining a permit. NRA classes and training from places like Front Sight and Gunsite will be able to qualify as permit training.

If you decide not to obtain a CCW permit, that doesn't mean you shouldn't train. The heaviest thing about wearing a firearm is the responsibility that comes with it. Take that money that you save on permit and renewal fees and spend it on quality training as often as you can. Lead by example – the world is watching.

For the record, AzCDL contacted the other major candidates for Governor, Terry Goddard, Dean Martin, Buzz Mills, and John Munger, about whether they would have signed SB 1108. At this point Dean Martin, Buzz Mills, and John Munger have responded that they support the bill and would have signed it. We are still waiting to hear from Terry Goddard.

Stay tuned! When critical legislation moves, we will notify you via these Alerts.

If you want to get legislative news as it happens, follow AzCDL on Twitter: http://twitter.com/AzCDL_Alerts .
AzCDL "tweets" from the Capitol with committee votes and breaking news as it happens.

You can also follow AzCDL on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDL .

AzCDL's Political Action Committee (PAC) is also on Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/FacebookAzCDLPAC .

These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization. Join today! http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html .

AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html .

eye95

imported post

Question, though. How does this affect your ability to carry in the ubiquitous school zones? Federal law allows carry in school zones for those licensed to carry after a background check. Now that you no longer require a license and won't be getting a background check, what happens when you cross in and out of school zones dozens of times each day?

GWbiker

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Question, though.  How does this affect your ability to carry in the ubiquitous school zones?  Federal law allows carry in school zones for those licensed to carry after a background check.  Now that you no longer require a license and won't be getting a background check, what happens when you cross in and out of school zones dozens of times each day?

Good question. Arizona SB1108 probably will mirror Alaska's requirement of a CCW permit in order to cross school zones.

This point has been forwarded to AZCDL for clear determination which will be posted here.

eye95

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Question, though. How does this affect your ability to carry in the ubiquitous school zones? Federal law allows carry in school zones for those licensed to carry after a background check. Now that you no longer require a license and won't be getting a background check, what happens when you cross in and out of school zones dozens of times each day?

Good question. Arizona SB1108 probably will mirror Alaska's requirement of a CCW permit in order to cross school zones.

This point has been forwarded to AZCDL for clear determination which will be posted here.
Thanks.

Mo

Banned
imported post

Congrats from your friends and allies here in Missouri! :exclaim:

slowfiveoh

imported post

Wow!

So I hear Arizona is a nice place to live? Sure starting to sound like it!

Complete, "hands-off" and "do not infringe" government. Amazing!

Arizona is really starting to catch my eye!

Magister

imported post

TOUCHDOWN ARIZONA!!!:celebrate

And agreed slowfiveoh. I have some relatives who moved there and its starting to sound awfully nice.

PavePusher

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
Wow!

So I hear Arizona is a nice place to live? Sure starting to sound like it!

Complete, "hands-off" and "do not infringe" government. Amazing!

Arizona is really starting to catch my eye!

The place isn't perfect. Like many state governments, Arizona is about broke and looking to raise taxes. They need to fix roads and schools, and some of the rural poverty is severe, especially on the reservations. Large illegal immigrantissue, and a corresponding problem with drug and people smugglers. Weather ranges from fry-you-on-the-sidewalk heat tomoderate alpine(Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski area had some great powder skiing this year!).

But I've been here two and a half years and like it a lot. :p And I'm from Vermont, so that's sayin' sumpin'.

AZkopper

imported post

eye95 wrote:

AZ does not recognize the Federal GFSZ. AZ law states that a firearm on K-12 property must be unloaded and out of sight in a vehicle.

It is my understanding of the verbage, however, that with a CWP (concealed weapons permit) you will be able to carry on a K-12 grounds, to pick up or drop off children.

eye95

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
eye95 wrote:

AZ does not recognize the Federal GFSZ. AZ law states that a firearm on K-12 property must be unloaded and out of sight in a vehicle.

It is my understanding of the verbage, however, that with a CWP (concealed weapons permit) you will be able to carry on a K-12 grounds, to pick up or drop off children.
While I fully appreciate (and agree with) the theory that States are the ultimate governmental authority in the U.S. (hence being called "States"), as a matter of practicality, if a federal LEO caught someone within 1000 feet of an AZ K-12 school while in possession of a handgun without a permit issued after a background check, said LEO would arrest said carrier and the Sovereign State of Arizona would be hard-pressed to do anything about it.

slowfiveoh

imported post

eye95 wrote:
While I fully appreciate (and agree with) the theory that States are the ultimate governmental authority in the U.S. (hence being called "States"), as a matter of practicality, if a federal LEO caught someone within 1000 feet of an AZ K-12 school while in possession of a handgun without a permit issued after a background check, said LEO would arrest said carrier and the Sovereign State of Arizona would be hard-pressed to do anything about it.
Maybe this is likewise a problem with our society, that needs to be drastically changed?

The state should absolutely come to bat for it's citizens.