• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We got it....Constitutional carry

Dahwg

imported post

eye95 wrote:
AZkopper wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Question, though.  How does this affect your ability to carry in the ubiquitous school zones?  Federal law allows carry in school zones for those licensed to carry after a background check.  Now that you no longer require a license and won't be getting a background check, what happens when you cross in and out of school zones dozens of times each day?

AZ does not recognize the Federal GFSZ. AZ law states that a firearm on K-12 property must be unloaded and out of sight in a vehicle.

It is my understanding of the verbage, however, that with a CWP (concealed weapons permit) you will be able to carry on a K-12 grounds, to pick up or drop off children.

While I fully appreciate (and agree with) the theory that States are the ultimate governmental authority in the U.S. (hence being called "States"), as a matter of practicality, if a federal LEO caught someone within 1000 feet of an AZ K-12 school while in possession of a handgun without a permit issued after a background check, said LEO would arrest said carrier and the Sovereign State of Arizona would be hard-pressed to do anything about it.

I wouldn't go that far. SCOTUS has already ruled a version the law unconstitutional. Congress went ahead and re-stated it almost exactly the same way. Conviction would be close to impossible since this has already been ruled on by the supremes.

donny

imported post

Congratulations to Arizona. What difference from one state over where they're pushing to outlaw unloaded open carry :(

GWbiker

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
........ SCOTUS has already ruled a version the law unconstitutional. Congress went ahead and re-stated it almost exactly the same way. Conviction would be close to impossible since this has already been ruled on by the supremes.

As I recall, after Congress initially threw out that law on it's own merit, Feinstein and her supporters slipped the school zone gun ban into the Biden Crime Bill which passed by a slim margin after House Speaker Foley fudged the voting period by five minutes.

KansasKraut

imported post

You wanna talk about gutless cowards? Try living in Wisconsin. We don't even have CCW at all. Bunch of pansies and hippies 'round these parts.