• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZ GOV SIGNS CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY

The Big Guy

imported post

Just read over on the AZ side that the Governor signed the constitutional carry bill into law this afternoon. Should go into effect in 90 days.

Now we need to get NV going on this issue.

BG

doninvegas

imported post

Alia Beard Rau - Apr. 9, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic Within the next week, Arizona could become the first state with a large urban population to allow U.S. citizens 21 and older to carry a concealed firearm without a permit. Only Alaska and Vermont have similar allowances.
Senate Bill 1108, crafted by Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, passed in the House of Representatives on Thursday with a vote of 36-19 and no comments from either side. :celebrate

Nevada carrier

imported post

This is a good thing and a bad thing, Some yahoo is going to believe that he will get reciprocity without being a CCW holder. If I lived in AZ I would still get the CCW for the reciprocity, and would encourage everyone to do the same.

doninvegas

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
This is a good thing and a bad thing, Some yahoo is going to believe that he will get reciprocity without being a CCW holder. If I lived in AZ I would still get the CCW for the reciprocity, and would encourage everyone to do the same.
I think if one was to read the entire bill, they would find out it is basically : guns made and kept in AZ that will be able to be used for CCW.... it is very restrictive ..or so i am told...

And they also recommend still getting a CCW permit..:?

CowboyKen

imported post

doninvegas wrote:
Nevada carrier wrote:
I think if one was to read the entire bill, they would find out it is basically : guns made and kept in AZ that will be able to be used for CCW.... it is very restrictive ..or so i am told...

This is not the case.

Ken

doninvegas

imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
doninvegas wrote:
Nevada carrier wrote:

This is not the case.

Ken
Well the sky is not blue...duaaaaaaa

What an informative cement....:?

Nevada carrier

imported post

Any bloke can buy a gun provided they may lawfully purchase one and thn carry concealed within the state of AZ w/o a CCW. if they want reciprocity they must obtain a CCW.

Firearms manufactured and kept within the sate of AZ my be obtained w/o a background check.

The Big Guy

imported post

Constitutional carry/Guns and Ammo

These were 2 separate bills. Both signed by the governor. Any gun or ammo manufactured in AZ is exempt from federal law. It has nothing to do with conceal carry. They also passed a new state preemption too as I understand it. Three cheers for our neighbors.

BG

PT111

imported post

WVCDL wrote:

I read quite a few of the comments posted concerning this article and as normal, when any gun law, or pretty much any law, is passed the people running their mouths about it have noe idea of what they are speaking.

For the instructor that is now going to face a severe drop in business I think he is absolutely correct that anyone carrying a gun should GET some training on how to use it, the laws concerning them and when you should and should not use it. Notice I said GET and not be required to.

Blood is not going to run in the streets because of this. People have to remember that it has been legal for a long time for someone to walk down the street with a gun as long as it was carried in plain view. The only thing this changes is that now you can cover it with you coat or shirt. It is not like all of a sudden every yahoo in AZ is going to be packing heat.

AZ has for a very long time had a population that seemed to exercise their right to carry openly much more than most other states. Guns are not new to most people of AZ unlike a palce like DC or NY Citywhere only a few were even allowed to touch a gun much less own or carry one.

Quite a few people in AZ have been carrying guns concealed for quite awhile so that is another thing that these loudmouths responding to the article seem to not even know.

AZ is not a densely populated state, much more than Alaska but not like many others so it is not like saying all of a sudden OC and CC without any permit is fine in Chicago. This is a totally different situation and expect different results. Neither better or worse but different.

One of the things mentioned was that theAZ CWPis still availablebut the requirements have changed. This is to allow AZ residents to carry in other states. This may cause some problems as right now AZ and SC have reciprocity. I expect that to change as I suspect that the AZ requirements may not meet those for reciprocity with SC.

All in all a great move by AZ and hope it spreads.

PT111

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
Constitutional carry/Guns and Ammo

These were 2 separate bills. Both signed by the governor. Any gun or ammo manufactured in AZ is exempt from federal law. It has nothing to do with conceal carry. They also passed a new state preemption too as I understand it. Three cheers for our neighbors.

BG

It is funny, for lack of a better word right now, how rumors and misunderstandings get started and spread when two different things are discussed in the same article or conversation. Sometimes I wonder if it is that people do not bother to read carefully or that their reading level is such that they cannot keep the two separate. Not just with this instance but so many times I hear the same type confusion and usually rather than it getting corrected is grows and grows. I don't suppose it is really that much different than some of the people leaving comments about the article. For some of the comments you would think that there had never been any guns whatsoever in AZ and all of a sudden every citizen in the state is required to carry a concealed weapon. I don't want to sound as if I am picking on any one person but these things get started and take on a life of their own. Then you have the ones that just start them to try and create confusion for their side of the agenda.

Remember, just because it may be legal for you to shoot the bad guy doesn't mean you have to. Be sure you have a reason touse your gunand not just an excuse.

Judge.410

imported post

This is Great! 47 states to go? "THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BARE ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" Required to have a CCW is an INFRINGEMENT!

varminter22

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I read quite a few of the comments posted concerning this article and as normal, when any gun law, or pretty much any law, is passed the people running their mouths about it have noe idea of what they are speaking.

For the instructor that is now going to face a severe drop in business I think he is absolutely correct that anyone carrying a gun should GET some training on how to use it, the laws concerning them and when you should and should not use it. Notice I said GET and not be required to.

Blood is not going to run in the streets because of this. People have to remember that it has been legal for a long time for someone to walk down the street with a gun as long as it was carried in plain view. The only thing this changes is that now you can cover it with you coat or shirt. It is not like all of a sudden every yahoo in AZ is going to be packing heat.

AZ has for a very long time had a population that seemed to exercise their right to carry openly much more than most other states. Guns are not new to most people of AZ unlike a palce like DC or NY Citywhere only a few were even allowed to touch a gun much less own or carry one.

Quite a few people in AZ have been carrying guns concealed for quite awhile so that is another thing that these loudmouths responding to the article seem to not even know.

AZ is not a densely populated state, much more than Alaska but not like many others so it is not like saying all of a sudden OC and CC without any permit is fine in Chicago. This is a totally different situation and expect different results. Neither better or worse but different.

One of the things mentioned was that theAZ CWPis still availablebut the requirements have changed. This is to allow AZ residents to carry in other states. This may cause some problems as right now AZ and SC have reciprocity. I expect that to change as I suspect that the AZ requirements may not meet those for reciprocity with SC.

All in all a great move by AZ and hope it spreads.
I most certainly agree with your comments - except the statement about state/city population density:
... so it is not like saying all of a sudden OC and CC without any permit is fine in Chicago.

Criminals and criminal activity are everywhere - perhaps more so in cities like Chicago - and Phoenix and Las Vegas and ... infinitum.

Are the good folks in those cities less deserving or less trustworthy simply because of their location, population density, or city crime rate? Methinks NOT.

Have you EVER heard of 'problems' in Vermont or Alaska? Would the (largely) anti-gun media not incessantly broadcast 'problems' if existent?

Like Ben Franklin said, "Those that would give up some liberty for some security deserve neither."

Always a great subject to debate!