• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FE Exam at Convention Center

driveramsII

imported post

Im taking the FE (fundamentals of engineering) exam at the convention center tomorrow. It specifically says on a sheet of paper with instructions from the company administering the exam (based in tennessee) that NO weapons are allowed. I know these types of situations have been discussed before but lets hear it again, it always confuses me for some reason. Is there any justification for this denial of carrying since the venue is the Convention Center. Obviously I wont be carrying because I dont need any added headache on top of the exam but I may raise the question as I leave just for the heck of it. Maybe! We'll see how fried my brain is

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

t33j wrote:
Interesting. All us younger guys seem to be engineers of one sort or another.
...and some of us who aren't so young any more! :(

I remember taking the FE exam in VA Beach many years ago. I was quite tired, as I had been to a Metallica concert the night before. :cool:

grimstar

imported post

Engineers do seem to have a better than average appreciation for finely machined metal and mechanical devices! Coincidence? ...I think not, LMAO.

Grimstar

(not an engineer)

driveramsII

imported post

I can officially say that exam is ridiculous!!!! It would be fine spread out over a couple of days but all at once is crazy. Definately could have cc'ed without a problem since they didnt check and had no metal detectors but dont know about OC, I wasn't about to temp them to throw me out.

PT111

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
FLS 2003
PLS 2007
I have done enough of that to satisfy me but always carried a tree crew to cut the sight line so I wouldn't have to. Also found that metal detectors are much better for finding property pins than the vertical compass. :) Did I mention that I hate redbugs. :cuss:

wylde007

imported post

I have not been in the field in ten years or better.

Don't get me wrong, I can still hold my own against the "young bucks" (I'm only 35, ha!) but I just don't get that many opportunities these days. Usually I get sent out to supervise projects that need a REAL surveyor on site... yes, yes, very funny. "Since they couldn't find one they sent me.":D

Anyhow, in my field days I did everything from the TPC and Heron Ridge golf courses in Virginia Beach to secure site surveys at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown (where they store tactical nukes, but won't admit to it) and highway layouts for Military Highway and Interstates 264 and 64.

I've done just about everything.

And I also hate redbugs (chiggers).

nuc65

Activist Member
imported post

Don't be nervous for the FE it is mostly trusses and forces... but a good solid grounding in most of the civil and mechanical should not be much of an issue.

IAAE, but not a lawyer :lol:

Regum

imported post

Just took my FE this weekend in Charlottesville. It was held in one of the University's buildings so that made the carry rule pretty clear. What a test! Let's hope we don't have to take that one again.

AbNo

imported post

t33j wrote:
I'm not an engineer, but I played one in Community College (before I switched back to Electronics).

Actually, now that I'm done with Electronics, I'm working on software engineering.

Never mind. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

AbNo wrote:
t33j wrote:
I'm not an engineer, but I played one in Community College (before I switched back to Electronics).

Actually, now that I'm done with Electronics, I'm working on software engineering.

Never mind. :D
I hear personal loans in politics is a good field to look into:lol: