• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saturday shoot in Capitol Forest

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I'll be going to Capitol State Forest tomorrow and heading to my favorite gravel pit. M1Gunr posted directions here before. Anyone wanna join?

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
I'll be going to Capitol State Forest tomorrow and heading to my favorite gravel pit. M1Gunr posted directions here before. Anyone wanna join?
Aw crud... missed.... any you guys want to do this again, just PM me... then it comes to my email and alerts me... I'd love to go plinking with my AR.

Glock17

imported post

Never heard of Capitol State Forest but sounds like fun! I never been out in the wild and shot but done some shooting at the range. Just picked up a Glock 17 a few days ago and just trying to learn more about it.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Excellent choice!!! That's my every day carry!

PM me if you wanna organize a get together and go shootin!

Where are you located?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

M1Gunr posted directions here before.

Exit I-5 at exit 95, go past the Red Barn Restaurant (on right side), keep going west for approx 8.5 miles till you come to a stop sign (Little Rock). The road does a "S" at this point, keep going straight, keep the Chevron station on your right side as well as the bar/tavern. (these are your last chance for food & water unless you bring it). From the stop sign keep going for one mile to the T intersection (Waddell Creek Road) turn right and follow for four miles to the parking area on your right side. You will enter the Capitol Forrest Rec area with camping and ATV parks on your left at approx the 3 mile point. There will be ATV trails along the road the closer you get to the parking area. If you hit the stop sign (the Horse trailer parking area on the right) you are about 300 yards too far. Be prepared to carry all your gear to the shooting area, no vehicles past the gate. I suggest folding tables and chairs. Nothing is supplied out here. No porta-potties available either except in the summer at the horse trailer parking area.

Frank is the volunteer that is now taking care of the pit. He's a great guy with lots of knowledge. Take a few minutes to get to know him.

waddell-creek-pit.jpg

tony d tiger

imported post

Went down to the pit today, and with the exception of two other guys, who rolled in at the same time as I did, had the place to myself. Set up my target (steel plate) and practiced shoot-n-move as well as remedial actions with the Ruger 22/45 - popped 300 rounds. :D

Got to talk w/the volunteer (Frank, you say?) and he showed me an old (4 digit serial number!) Colt .22 single action he had. Other two guys had a 22/45 similar to mine and some other weapons.

It was a good day for shootin' - and an excellent day for the pit. Normally, there's anywhere's from 10 to 30 people in there, and safety can sometimes be an issue. Because of that, I always have an 'extra' on my belt (today it was my Father's series 70 Colt)... "just in case" - but with only myself and the other guys, it was almost as nice as the range on Ft Lewis... before I'd lock-n-load I'd look to my left; nobody moving downrange, range is HOT. Empty my two magazines and start reloading them, if the other guys were heading downrange to check targets, there was a wave and we were "ALL CLEAR" until they came back to the firing line. Only once did I have to stop after the first magazine because one of them headed down to check targets while I was still on the firing line. :banghead:

After that, I stopped at the capitol to visit the memorials (still w/the .45 on my belt), then home to clean the Ruger and then it was time for the honey-do's... :D

Hope your day was at least half as good.

Prosit!

Aryk45XD

imported post

I was going to be there anyway, but decided to make some money moving a co-worker. If I had seen this post, I would have been there.
I go there pretty regularly, so maybe next time.

tony d tiger

Another day at the pit...

Only one other shooter there today - he had a rifle and a pistol, set himself up right in front of Frank's truck (was there when I rolled in...) once again, I set up the steel plate, only this time I was firing my series 80 - just got it back from the gunsmith, where it was machined out to eliminate a problem (thanks gogodawgs for the tip on the gunsmith - good intel). Fired ~100 rounds with ZERO extraction/ejection problems... only now it doesn't like hollow points... gaah! (also had the feedramp polished)

When I was finished, some DNR folks were walking up - they presented Frank with some very nice certificates of appreciation for all the work he's done there (it really is nicer) and expressed their thanks. Brought him an 'official' DNR jacket, too!

Think maybe I'll head back down there tomorrow, and try the Winchester Silvertips again, and some other JHP rounds I have - maybe it just don't like the Silveertips anymore.