• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington resident with an Oregon CHL

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I understand that with my CHL (non resident) that I have state pre-emption. However, with the banned cities I assume that if I OC in downtown Portland that I would be asked if I have a CHL and need to present that to a LEO? Do I need to present any other ID?

Cremator75

imported post

I don't have the exact law, but it does say the burden is on you to prove to them you have a valid CHL, and in that situation you would be required to have one. So I would say yes to preventing the CHL. It is a government issued ID, so it should be good enough. I have never been confronted in Portland yet.

Window_Seat

imported post

I imagine that would be the case.

The letter I received from the Sheriff (which I keep with me when CHLing) states this:

Failure to carry your concealed handgun license when you carry a concealed handgun is prima facie evidence that you do not have a concealed handgun license.
The closest I can come to the state statute related to that question is this:

166.380 Examination of firearm by peace officer; arrest for failure to allow examination.

(1) A peace officer may examine a firearm possessed by anyone on the person while in or on a public building to determine whether the firearm is a loaded firearm.

(2) Refusal by a person to allow the examination authorized by subsection (1) of this section constitutes reason to believe that the person has committed a crime and the peace officer may make an arrest pursuant to ORS 133.310. [1969 c.705 §3]
Deleted all that as it was unrelated to the question by the OP, and I needed to read the question more carefully.

Erik.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

At least in Oregon you are required to show a form of ID if asked by a LEO. If in a ban city then you have to produce your CHL. Your CHL IS a form of ID and no other form should be required. That said the PPD is a bunch of jack booted thugs I would watch out when dealing with them. SOMETIMES it's worth it to go the extra mile and not be proned out in downtown Portland.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
At least in Oregon you are required to show a form of ID if asked by a LEO. If in a ban city then you have to produce your CHL. Your CHL IS a form of ID and no other form should be required. That said the PPD is a bunch of jack booted thugs I would watch out when dealing with them. SOMETIMES it's worth it to go the extra mile and not be proned out in downtown Portland.
Cite the law please?

We-the-People

imported post

Window_Seat wrote:
I imagine that would be the case.

The letter I received from the Sheriff (which I keep with me when CHLing) states this:

Failure to carry your concealed handgun license when you carry a concealed handgun is prima facie evidence that you do not have a concealed handgun license.
The closest I can come to the state statute related to that question is this:

166.380 Examination of firearm by peace officer; arrest for failure to allow examination.

(1) A peace officer may examine a firearm possessed by anyone on the person while in or on a public building to determine whether the firearm is a loaded firearm.

(2) Refusal by a person to allow the examination authorized by subsection (1) of this section constitutes reason to believe that the person has committed a crime and the peace officer may make an arrest pursuant to ORS 133.310. [1969 c.705 §3]
Deleted all that as it was unrelated to the question by the OP, and I needed to read the question more carefully.

Erik.

166.380 only applies in/on a PUBLIC BUILDING (and adjacent grounds) WHICH IS DEFINED and does NOT include public streets, parks, private businesses, etc.,which are PUBLIC PLACES. However, the 166.173 authorization to regulate carry of loaded firearms (exemption for CHL holders) does seem (doesn't outright say it but common sense dictates) to indicate that you would have to present a CHL if in a city with a ban and loaded open carrying in order to avoid arrest for violation of the 166.173 allowed loaded carry ban.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
TheHossUSMC wrote:
Cite the law please?
Thanks for the challenge, I was wrong. You are not required to produce a ID card if asked by a LEO in Oregon. That said, you are required to produce a valid CHL if stopped in a ban city. And also when pulled over in a vehicle because you have to have a valid DL to drive.