• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun pulled on motorcyclist, with video.

office888

imported post

Short Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjjF55M8JQ

Long version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7PC9cZEWCQ

Malibu CUTS in front of the motorcyclist as he's coming upto a stop. Motorcyclist starts backpedaling. Driver exits vehicle, starts fumbling with his right side, pulling a gun. Tells the rider to "Get off the motorcycle." Gun is removed from the holster. Rider is told "Get off the motorcycle" THREE TIMES, before the non-uniformed, unmarked officer identifies himself as a police officer.

Honestly, I think the second he would have pulled a gun, he would have gotten a 7k clutch drop + face full of 450 lbs of CBR900rr.

Extremely unprofessional, EXTREMELY dangerous. He put many lives in danger.

I hope the officer loses his job.

YES, the motorcyclist WAS speeding. Although I don't think that warrants deadly force, which is the ONLY TIME A GUN SHOULD EVER LEAVE IT'S HOLSTER.

-Richard-

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I also think the drawn gun was a bit much, but the Awful Kniawful was driving recklessly doing a 100mph wheelie where he to was putting others at risk. He played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

CrimDoc

imported post

In fairness ... the motorcyclist is doing more than just "speeding" ... "wheelies" in freeway traffic qualify as careless / dangerous driving in my book.

That said, it still doesn't excuse having a plain clothes officer, in an unmarked car, jump out and pull a gun prior to identifying himself as a LEO.

Motorcycle guy and cop both need to face the music in my book. Very poorly handled situation all around.

office888 wrote:

Short Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjjF55M8JQ

Long version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7PC9cZEWCQ

Malibu CUTS in front of the motorcyclist as he's coming upto a stop. Motorcyclist starts backpedaling. Driver exits vehicle, starts fumbling with his right side, pulling a gun. Tells the rider to "Get off the motorcycle." Gun is removed from the holster. Rider is told "Get off the motorcycle" THREE TIMES, before the non-uniformed, unmarked officer identifies himself as a police officer.

Honestly, I think the second he would have pulled a gun, he would have gotten a 7k clutch drop + face full of 450 lbs of CBR900rr.

Extremely unprofessional, EXTREMELY dangerous. He put many lives in danger.

I hope the officer loses his job.

YES, the motorcyclist WAS speeding. Although I don't think that warrants deadly force, which is the ONLY TIME A GUN SHOULD EVER LEAVE IT'S HOLSTER.

-Richard-

CrimDoc

imported post

Apparently he did ... if you look at the last few seconds of the video you see a marked cruiser parked behind the biker.

Of course, that makes it even less defensible that "Rambo" decided to make the stop by jumping out and brandishing his pistol.

autosurgeon wrote:
IMOP undercover should have tailed and gotten uniformed backup to take care of this.

Michigander

imported post

In the heat of the moment, with the aggressive and threatening way he did that, I don't doubt that I'd have shot him well before he identified himself as a state cop, thinking it was some road rage moron. He is lucky to be alive, and in my opinion in need of being disciplined.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
In the heat of the moment, with the aggressive and threatening way he did that, I don't doubt that I'd have shot him well before he identified himself as a state cop, thinking it was some road rage moron. He is lucky to be alive, and in my opinion in need of being disciplined.
Yeah, some random guy comes out of his car at me with a gun - knowing I did nothing violent to warrant it, he'd have been shot.

In my mind, at that moment, no way in hell a cop would do that.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
IDK, with such a slow draw he might have been a dead bike jacker if the biker carried.

Is the cop's verbal announcement enough? No badge?
To me, It would give me pause, but Id still have a gun drawn on him till he identifies with a badge.

The way it looked I don't think he identified till after he put his gun away. That would have been too late.

mastiff69

imported post

I do carry on my motorcycle, and he would have had a problem.

1) Unmarked and no uniform, he would have been on the ground til he identified himself,

2) especially since he cut me off, and got out of his car andcame toward me in an aggressive manner,

3) and was reaching under his closes for something.

I am going to assume that since he is a COP everybody should know that he is a cop since we all have ESP

NO uniform

No Badge

No marked car

NOT A COP IN MY BOOK, AND I WILL TREAT HIM AS I WOULD ANY OTHER PHYSICAL THREAT.

LOOKS LIKE ROAD RAGE TIL I SEE A BADGE......

Savage.Detroit

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
He would have been shot...
...unfortunately, probably so would I have, by his uniformed buddies down the road.

Yeah, that would have been 99.9999% likely. Even when you would become aware of the cruiser there would be no time or decent cover to deescalate (if possible) the situation.

UCWT

imported post

if you really pay attention you will see the marked police car in the median parked at 1:06 and i can't say for sure but the unmarked car looks a lot like the car in front of numb nuts before he cut to the slow lane and starts reckless driving.(someone else please review the long video for unmarked car)

could have been bad scene!!!

dash cam video/audio and audio from his action cam would be nice.

sevenplusone

imported post

Everything about this is ugly. For what it's worth, I don't consider a wheelie alone reckless, nor is speeding.

Speeding is a civil infraction, not something that should get a gun pulled on you.

office888

imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Everything about this is ugly. For what it's worth, I don't consider a wheelie alone reckless, nor is speeding.

Speeding is a civil infraction, not something that should get a gun pulled on you.

+1

I think lane-splitting at stoplights in city traffic is 20x more dangerous than anything he did in the long version of that video.

The focus isn't about the fact that he was speeding though.

It's about the fact that:

A police officer pulled his sidearm, and did NOT identify himself as a police officer immediately. He was NOT in uniform, he was NOT driving a marked car, and there was ZERO threat to his life. Therefor, he had NO REASON to draw his sidearm.

EM87

imported post

There are threads about this on just about every forum I frequent. Popular issue, it seems.

I read about half of the original thread on 1000rr.net before they took it down. It was 50 pages long, started by the guy who this happened to. He was cited 10 days later for recording the cop without the cop's permission and faced a 5 year felony charge. Here's a link to some information:

http://carlosmiller.com/2010/04/16/...-wiretapping-charge-for-filming-cop-with-gun/

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

EM87 wrote:
There are threads about this on just about every forum I frequent. Popular issue, it seems.

I read about half of the original thread on 1000rr.net before they took it down. It was 50 pages long, started by the guy who this happened to. He was cited 10 days later for recording the cop without the cop's permission and faced a 5 year felony charge. Here's a link to some information:

http://carlosmiller.com/2010/04/16/maryland-motorcyclist-spends-26-hours-in-jail-on-wiretapping-charge-for-filming-cop-with-gun/
is there some sort of petition to sign or something in support of that cop losing his badge? or donations to help with the guys court costs...something?