• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws on OCing

Kyle

imported post

In WI can I OC into my bank? Also when I OC does the whole gun and holster have to be visible or can I use a holster that clips in my belt but goes inside of my pants and you can only really see part of the gun?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Kyle wrote:
In WI can I OC into my bank? Also when I OC does the whole gun and holster have to be visible or can I use a holster that clips in my belt but goes inside of my pants and you can only really see part of the gun?
"Laws on OCing" there are no laws on OCing. There is no law that I know preventing you openly armed in a bank. The law against carrying a concealed weapon is §941.23.

When I carried concealed in another state than Wisconsin, I carried IWB until I got comfortable with Chihuahua style.

You may not be armed in some specific locations in Wisconsin that you must learn, know and understand; cars, bars, govt. buildings, school zones, et cetera.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I encourage you to read this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

There are basically five places we cannot carry, (Cars, Bars, Government Buildings, State Parks, School Zones).

You CAN carry into the bank unless it is in a government building. If they don't want you to carry, any business can ask you to leave.

We have a thread here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/42442.html that we started typing to list KNOWN corporate policies.

Most Grocery, Auto-Parts, Building Materials, Gas Stations, and Big Box stores have no problem.

As far as an IWB or OWB (Inside/Outside Waist Band) the majority of people that I have seen carrying use an OWB holster. Not legal advice, just opinion, an IWB holster should be fine and long as it is easily discernible that you are armed because as Doug stated, Concealed Carry is prohibited by state law.

Most of the LEO are knowledgeable about OC now, some still don't like it so many of us carry a Voice Activated Recorder (VOR) just in case we run into one.

Again, WELCOME!

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and ....

Carry On!

Kyle

imported post

well there are laws on OCing in WI its all about were you OC! my biggest question is if i can carry inside my waste band in WI? You can still see partial of the gun so it cant fall under the CC laws but yet you cannot see everything which falls under OCing? I guess I am looking for a sure answer. Thanks. I am new and I want to make sure I am legal!

minuteman

imported post

Kyle wrote:
well there are laws on OCing in WI its all about were you OC! my biggest question is if i can carry inside my waste band in WI? You can still see partial of the gun so it cant fall under the CC laws but yet you cannot see everything which falls under OCing? I guess I am looking for a sure answer. Thanks. I am new and I want to make sure I am legal!

The gun must be in plain view. If someone looks at it can they see it, and can they see that it is a gun? Those are my simple rules, along with can my clothing somehow obstruct the view by accident. That might be a concern if its just in your waistband and not a holster.

The holster I have just exposes the grip of my gun and its obvious you couldnt have every part in the open with most holsters or carry styles. You should be fine with an inside the waistband holster, as long as a good portion is in the open.

If you are talking about going without a holster I would not advise it. If a cop thought you were trying to conceal it or just assumed you were and exposed it, its your word vs theirs. A holster eliminates most any chance of that happening.

Packer fan

imported post

Question I have is why do you want to carry ISWB? OSWB is much easier and more comfortable. OSWB gives a little padding between you and the gun too.

Plus, if you carry ISWB then the chance of your shirt covering is greater too. Your jeans must be bigger around the waste to accommodate a gun if you carry ISWB, so many impractical reasons why not if you don't have to.

I live in Arkansas andmust CC everywhere so I carry ISWB but I would much rather carry OSWB.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

You miss the point when you write,

Kyle wrote:
well there are laws on OCing in WI its all about were you OC!
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html
[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][/font]
7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available, is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Tree_Planter

imported post

See WI Statute 941.23 and the related cases of Cole, Fisher, Hamdan, Vegas, and more recently Gonzalez and Krause.

In the case of David Olofson, he was charged with carrying a concealed weapon because his holster concealed part of the handgun. Mind you, the function of the holster is to conceal at least the trigger housing to help prevent unintended discharge, and he entered a plea.

Brad Krause
Instructor, Wisconsin Civil Rights Advocate, and someone who still plants trees armed
Notice: Not legal or other advice

Last edited:

smithman

imported post

I prefer OWB holsters for their better comfort. Your shirt runs less risk of going over the gun by accident. Faster draw normally with an OWB, since it is a little more away from the body. And there is no question with an exposed OWB that you are intending to carry openly. When you OC, you actually want people to be able to see it, if they look. OC in Wisconsin will only be normalized when people SEE other people OC.

Tree_Planter

imported post

Brandon makes excellent points, and prompts me to clarify: "You may attract more attention from officers [with an inside the waistband holster], ..." because officers are even less used to seeing it than a hip holster. That does not make your lawful carry any less lawful, just less common.

In a way IWB is good, because it exposes that regardless of how handguns are carried, guns don't cause crime.

As an aside, I try to add extra time into my schedule so if someone has questions we can have a casual, friendly conversation. Many people's understanding comes from movies and sensationalized newspaper articles, and is less than accurate.

Kyle

imported post

Thanks everyone for the information I was just looking a more clear explanation. Another question I have may be dumb but if I am OCing and I am on state property or government property but I am not in any of their buildings am I still legal?

Cobra469

imported post

IANAL but yes you may carry on public property such as government land. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but the exceptions would be military land (obviously) and either state parks or federal parks. I forget which off the top of my head and am sure somebody will point out which if either. Also I beleive that you have to make sure it is not within 1000' of a school grades 1-12. GFSZ is a pain like that.

Now that being said you may not carry in any "building" on those lands. What constitutes as "building" has been debaated and I err on the side of caution and say if it has a roof or walls its a "building."

I am not a lawyer and these are just "my interpretations" right or wrong and may not be entirely accurate.