• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Chesterfield

Do you get an angry response from LEO's when asking OC questions?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

• No

• Total voters

usmcbess

imported post

I just made a call to the chesterfield Police Department. I asked the answering officer if CHesterfield had an ordinance making it unlawful to openly carry a weapon. As soon as he understood what I was asking he very angerly told me it was illegal to OC in the ENTIRE STATE! This kinda cop scares me being as uninformed as he is.Well I informed him of the actual law and he began to get even more angry and asked if I had called to argue. I said "no' and asked if he could provide me with the chesterfield ordanance #.......after an unconfortable pause..........he said "no" but that I could "obtain a copy at the station"

I get his angry attitude with probably 8 out of 10 cops that I question on the subject of OC and other unrelated things.

These unimformed cops scare the hell outa me!

Mo

Banned
imported post

What's the phone number?? I'll call and ask. Let's get as many people as we can to call and ask... :)

If I a get an attitude, I'll ask for a supervisor. :)

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Chesterfield has the same ordinance that Wildwood and Unincorporated St Louis county have. It is an old hunting law, but all 3 threaten to use it to terrorize anyone OC in their districts. Per the law as I read it. You are only legal on your property,public property(streets and sidewalks) and places that you have a written consent to be on. Here is that law as it is written.

(g)It shall be unlawful for any person carrying a firearm or projectile weapon to willfully enter or go upon the premises or property of another, or to fire or discharge any firearm or projectile weapon, while on the premises or property of another without first having obtained the written permission from the owner, lessee or person in charge of such premises or property, and unless the person in charge of such premises or property, and unless such person has the said written permission, on his person. This section shall not apply to a person carrying, firing or discharging any firearm or projectile weapon, while in the immediate presence of the owner, lessee, or person in charge of the property or premises, or to the entry upon the premises for the sole purpose of obtaining the written permission of the owner, lessee or person in charge of the property.

Doc

usmcbess

imported post

I read that portion also and assumed it to bethe supposed prohibitionbut wanted a more clear defenition......that angry cop didnt give me one.....lol

usmcbess

imported post

the number is 314-889-2341 Good idea!

This cop was out there man. He tried to tell me that it was illegal in missouri to open carry.

DarenGlock23

imported post

I agree. This is actually on my mind often, although I am fairly sure that no law enforcement officer would draw and fire a firearm at me. I OC as often as possible and I go out of my way to. If a police officer were to draw a weapon and point at me I have to assume he has probable cause? Police are humans too. I would never draw on him/her but my daughter is often with me. If they don't understand the law and feel I'm a threat and would be willing to point a lethal weapon at myself and my family what would I do?? Again, I would lay down with my hands on my head. But anyone can go through the academy and get an Leo job. Good or evil. Firearms law should be near the top of their understanding of the law.

Please no one take this post the wrong way. I overthink alot of things, this being one of them.

Stay safe, carry smart, carry often.

mspgunner

imported post

sohighlyunlikely wrote:
Chesterfield has the same ordinance that Wildwood and Unincorporated St Louis county have. It is an old hunting law, but all 3 threaten to use it to terrorize anyone OC in their districts. Per the law as I read it. You are only legal on your property,public property(streets and sidewalks) and places that you have a written consent to be on. Here is that law as it is written.

(g)It shall be unlawful for any person carrying a firearm or projectile weapon to willfully enter or go upon the premises or property of another, or to fire or discharge any firearm or projectile weapon, while on the premises or property of another without first having obtained the written permission from the owner, lessee or person in charge of such premises or property, and unless the person in charge of such premises or property, and unless such person has the said written permission, on his person. This section shall not apply to a person carrying, firing or discharging any firearm or projectile weapon, while in the immediate presence of the owner, lessee, or person in charge of the property or premises, or to the entry upon the premises for the sole purpose of obtaining the written permission of the owner, lessee or person in charge of the property.

Doc
Hi, I spoke with the mayor of Wildwood. There seems to be some confusion in the Wildwood law. He is going to look into it. The "POLICE" don't have it together. The big question in Wildwood is "Is public property private property?" Really, there are different ideas on this.
The mayor is a good guy and will get back to me on this. Don't OC in Wildwood or Babler State Park just yet. They will arrest you. I'm trying to see if I can fix this.

cash50

imported post

I hate when whiny cops try to tell you it's illegal because they're mad that you want to something like this.