• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry as a political statement does it work?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Last year a young man showed up at a political rally carrying a pistol and something else. A short time later the AZ State Legislators pass "constitutional carry" which was signed by the Governor. There was a lot of hate directed towardsChris and his actions. The NRA and other gun groups didn't want to touch this. Weren't guns going to be banned because of Chris? I think this shows that lawful open carry can change minds and bring real change. Publicity which shows people with guns obeying the law is good publicity.

Don Barnett

imported post

I certainly believe the more the general public sees responsible citizens carrying weapons, the better it is for our cause.

Dress neatly, smile, be friendly and respectful of others and act like it is normal tobe armed.

Don't EVER "clear leather" unless you absolutely need to.

Jay Gatz

imported post

People seeing random people carrying guns and not causing problems does a lot to ease many people's fears of guns. At protests, I think people wearing guns particularly like the guy Chris did just as much harm as good. Some people saw that and realized what could be done legally and safely, others got a good freak out over nothing.

Arizona made progress in their gun laws because a lot of people contacted their law makers and told them what they wanted, and with votes on the line law makers tend to do what their citizenry wants.

The best publicity for us isn't to get on the news necessarily with a stunt showing larger rifles, but to go about life normally with a firearm and to be seen as just another person who happens to carry a gun. When people see that someone can walk around armed without causing any problems, a lot of the anti propaganda will have far less effect.

Viorel

imported post

Jay Gatz wrote:
The best publicity for us isn't to get on the news necessarily with a stunt showing larger rifles, but to go about life normally with a firearm and to be seen as just another person who happens to carry a gun. When people see that someone can walk around armed without causing any problems, a lot of the anti propaganda will have far less effect.
+1

And wear it OFTEN.

The more it becomes transparent to you, the more transparent it becomes to others.