• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry question..

armedman

imported post

The way I understand the new bill is you MUST inform a LEO if you have a concealed weapon. What if you have a CCW permit? A CCW permit suggests that you inform, not mandate it, will the new law change this?
Also, to continue to go into establishments that serves alcohol you must have CCW permit, correct?

DustoneGT

imported post

IANAL, but I will be in about 3 years :)

The text of the amended law says it's a violation to fail to correctly answer a LEO if he/she asks whether you have a concealed weapon.

azcdlfred

imported post

armedman wrote:
The way I understand the new bill is you MUST inform a LEO if you have a concealed weapon. What if you have a CCW permit? A CCW permit suggests that you inform, not mandate it, will the new law change this?
Also, to continue to go into establishments that serves alcohol you must have CCW permit, correct?
The "must inform" is a restatement of what is in the false statement statutes. Law enforcement wanted the same deal as Alsaska has - tell any cop you see any time you encounter one, that you have a gun. Walk into a donut shop and see 1/2 dozen or so cops and scream "I have a gun."

Under the new law (and also existing law in other statutes) when asked by law enforcement, whether you have a CCW or not, you must truthfully tell them if you are carrying a firearm.

Only CCW permit holders can carrying into places serving alcohol. Give us time. We (AzCDL) are limited on the number of miracles we can perform in any given session.

Fred

paintsnow

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
armedman wrote:
The "must inform" is a restatement of what is in the false statement statutes. Law enforcement wanted the same deal as Alsaska has - tell any cop you see any time you encounter one, that you have a gun. Walk into a donut shop and see 1/2 dozen or so cops and scream "I have a gun."

Under the new law (and also existing law in other statutes) when asked by law enforcement, whether you have a CCW or not, you must truthfully tell them if you are carrying a firearm.

Only CCW permit holders can carrying into places serving alcohol. Give us time. We (AzCDL) are limited on the number of miracles we can perform in any given session.

Fred

Think you guys can get something passed allowing 18 + CC instead of 21?

Maybe it will shorten my wait to be able to conceal :p

azcdlfred

imported post

paintsnow wrote:
Maybe it will shorten my wait to be able to conceal
We are limited in the numbers of miracles we can perform in any one session.

Realistically, we won't even touch the new statute for at least another year. We need everyone comfortable thatcivilization didn't end and blood is not running in the streets.

Another thing you have going against changing the law is that immaturity is pandemic nowadays among your peers.From society's perspective you are conisdered a child until you're almost 30. Under 21 and you're viewed as still in diapers and that's a hard sell at the legislature.

Fred

paintsnow

imported post

Makes sense.

By the time the bill finally went through all the hoops and became law, i will probably be 21 anyways.

Hopefully one day though, i would like to see this county go back in time a little in terms of responsibility and morals. Then again, most people do too, there are just the bad eggs mixed in.

GWbiker

imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
We (AzCDL) are limited on the number of miracles we can perform in any given session.
If the NRA come to help AZCDL, it'll take twice as long to perform a miracle...;)

rpyne

imported post

paintsnow wrote:
azcdlfred wrote:
armedman wrote:

Fred

Have you considered getting a Maine concealed permit? Maine will issue non-resident permits to 18+.

PavePusher

imported post

rpyne wrote:
paintsnow wrote:
azcdlfred wrote:
armedman wrote:

Fred

Have you considered getting a Maine concealed permit? Maine will issue non-resident permits to 18+.
I don't think that would help him in AZ, because under AZ law, he'd still have to be 21 to carry concealed here. I'll try to find the cite for that...