Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Look, I can/will defend my family!

Post imported post

Post imported post

Icant speak for everyone on here, but i dont think that was a bright idea. He could have been yellin and screamin while he was smokeing, and that STILL isnt a reason to brandish your weapon. It makes ALL of us look bad when people arent responsible with their firearms :X.If someone did that to me and happened to TOUCH their firearm like they are going to un-holster, i'd draw down in a heartbeat and hold em for the LEO's

Post imported post

Post imported post

IANAL, but i believe what you described is considered brandishing... i could be wrong. If you are carying concealed, and someone does something that you dont like, and you expose your firearm to scare said person, i'm pretty sure that is"brandishing". you dont have to touch it. Are you a LEO? If so, you should know this.just my 2 pennies.

Post imported post

That is not brandishing. It is brandishing if you display the weapon in a threatening manner. I have switched from concealed to open and visa versa. I have also carried openly NOT in a holster with the barrel pointing in the safe direction. I have also unloaded or reloaded in public as well. As long as you aren't endangering people or acting threatening, it is not illegal. Obviously, I and most responsible gun owners in 99% of cases leave the gun alone. In the rare times I have unloaded/reloaded it is usually in a parking lot at a gun range or at a place that requires you to check your weapon. As to carrying not in a holster, that would be simply carrying a gun in from the car or out to it where I live. Guess what. Nobody cares. Just don't do something stupid like that Walmart guy. Welcome to Arizona.

Post imported post

Ive been in Arizona nearly all my life, im one of the lucky ones that got out of Komiefornia. What you did was questionable in my book, but thats just my opinion.dont know if it was right or wrong, i wasnt there, im not LEO and IANAL. Sorry for the frustration. Safe OC'ing

Post imported post

Post imported post

yes, i understand that the law has recently changed about "brandishing", you may get some excptions. to each, his own.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

So, you are not LEO but you have a Badge.

Are you by chance one of those rare individuals that carries a CCW Badge?
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Post imported post

This thread reminds me of the old Mall Ninja stories.http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Post imported post

badbass wrote:
    This thread reminds me of the old Mall Ninja stories.http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
    We seem to be thinking along the same lines badbass! :shock:
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

armedman wrote:
    badbass wrote:
    My occupation is very dangerous and my weapon is a tool for the job. I don't carry to look cool or get a false since of security like so many here. Try looking down the business end of a gun with someone on the other end that is dead serious.
    I did not post on this site to try to impress anyone. I thought others that carried besides my fellow officers would respect and understand why people carry. You wonder why LEOs look at and call you gun nuts.
    I feel you could earn some credibility by posting your job type and your location in Arizona.

For the record, I'm retired LEO and I live in Tucson.

Post imported post

Post imported post

armedman wrote:
    The other evening in a parking lot, the wife and myself were putting the baby in the car seat. I noticed a man, you know, one of those outstanding members of our community, that did not "fit in" with the area. He stood at the back of the truck smoking, he was watching us but not staring at us. No words were exchanged. All I did was pull up my shirt and let him get a good look at the 45 on my hip. He walked away and we went on our way.
    It was not a normal place for a smoke break. He probably was just going to give me a sob story looking for a hand out. I will never know, all I know is nothing bad happened that may have....
    armedman wrote:
    All it did was go from concealed to open, the weapon was not touched, "brandished" during the process. I was not looking toward him at the time. I was leaning in the truck fastening the car seat and pulled my shirt up enough to make it viable. So when I stepped down out of the truck he was able to see it.
    Like I discovered at the car wash, I wear it open and I don't get people asking for hand outs. Wear it open at an ATM and people stand way back. Covered up they are about three - five feet away.
    Kinda show-offy on your part, AM.

Just prejudice. Just kabuki.

No threat...

Post imported post

Post imported post

armedman wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    armedman wrote:
    The other evening in a parking lot, the wife and myself were putting the baby in the car seat. I noticed a man, you know, one of those outstanding members of our community, that did not "fit in" with the area. He stood at the back of the truck smoking, he was watching us but not staring at us. No words were exchanged. All I did was pull up my shirt and let him get a good look at the 45 on my hip. He walked away and we went on our way.
    It was not a normal place for a smoke break. He probably was just going to give me a sob story looking for a hand out. I will never know, all I know is nothing bad happened that may have....
    armedman wrote:
    All it did was go from concealed to open, the weapon was not touched, "brandished" during the process. I was not looking toward him at the time. I was leaning in the truck fastening the car seat and pulled my shirt up enough to make it viable. So when I stepped down out of the truck he was able to see it.
    Like I discovered at the car wash, I wear it open and I don't get people asking for hand outs. Wear it open at an ATM and people stand way back. Covered up they are about three - five feet away.
    Kinda show-offy on your part, AM.

Just prejudice. Just kabuki.

No threat...
    Whatever guys, I know I have a real reason to carry and it not just because I/we have the rite. I thought we were all on the same side here. At least I can carry were it is posted not to without the hassle. I guess you don't need or want my support in helping everyone to be able to carry in these same places.
    So in 90 days anyone OC is "Kinda show-offy or just kabuki."??

No threat....

Post imported post

Yeah, for the record I agree with HankT.

You may not have brandished which means your behavior was neither aggressive nor illegal, but it came close to the former.

There was no threat whatsoever, and yet because (as you've readily admitted) you see everyone around you as a BG, you responded with a show of potential force.

Wrong? No. Adolescent, puerile even? Yes. Unlikely to help further the cause of OC? Absolutely.

OC the damn thing before you get nervous, and then you won't have to show off your piece like a gangster wannabe. :quirky

Isn't that what this site is about anyway?

In response to your question: No, actual OC will never be show-offy (unless your handle is kwikrnu). But you weren't OCing. You were CCing and you decided you needed to... wait for it... show off your gun.

Post imported post

armedman wrote:
    My occupation is very dangerous and my weapon is a tool for the job. I don't carry to look cool or get a false since of security like so many here.
    The world is a dangerous place. I dont carry to look cool, nor do i get a false sense of security when i carry. I carry for self defense, i dont get a false sense of security from my weapon, i get a true sense of security, like so many here. Knowing that i can put 3 in the BG's chest to instantly stop a deadly encounter is NOT a "false sence of security" i dont know how you came up with all of us OC'ing for that reason and i find it quite disrespectfull that you would say that many of us carry for reasons other than the right ones. And you saying that you get more exceptions while "brandishing" because you work for the government ticks me off. When you clock out, you are NO diferent than i am, why do you get to break the law? what makes you so special? Thats the problem with soo many government employees... they think the rules dont apply to them becase they have a "badge"

Post imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
    When you clock out, you are NO diferent than i am, why do you get to break the law? what makes you so special? Thats the problem with soo many government employees... they think the rules dont apply to them becase they have a "badge"
    There's a tool here, but it isn't the gun...

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    mrh2008 wrote:
    When you clock out, you are NO diferent than i am, why do you get to break the law? what makes you so special? Thats the problem with soo many government employees... they think the rules dont apply to them becase they have a "badge"
    There's a tool here, but it isn't the gun...
    I hope you were not refering to me. I believe that EVERYONE should be required to abide by the same laws, not just some of us. I seem to notice a lot of LEO's breaking various laws every single day that i would get punished for. I dont think thats right. (nearly all of them are driving violations, but violations none the less)

Post imported post

I still am curious as to what Federal errands that armedman does for a living. Maybe his point would be better understood if we knew what he has to deal with on a day to day basis.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast