• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Look, I can/will defend my family!

mrh2008

imported post

Icant speak for everyone on here, but i dont think that was a bright idea. He could have been yellin and screamin while he was smokeing, and that STILL isnt a reason to brandish your weapon. It makes ALL of us look bad when people arent responsible with their firearms :X.If someone did that to me and happened to TOUCH their firearm like they are going to un-holster, i'd draw down in a heartbeat and hold em for the LEO's

mrh2008

imported post

IANAL, but i believe what you described is considered brandishing... i could be wrong. If you are carying concealed, and someone does something that you dont like, and you expose your firearm to scare said person, i'm pretty sure that is"brandishing". you dont have to touch it. Are you a LEO? If so, you should know this.:banghead:just my 2 pennies.

protector84

imported post

That is not brandishing. It is brandishing if you display the weapon in a threatening manner. I have switched from concealed to open and visa versa. I have also carried openly NOT in a holster with the barrel pointing in the safe direction. I have also unloaded or reloaded in public as well. As long as you aren't endangering people or acting threatening, it is not illegal. Obviously, I and most responsible gun owners in 99% of cases leave the gun alone. In the rare times I have unloaded/reloaded it is usually in a parking lot at a gun range or at a place that requires you to check your weapon. As to carrying not in a holster, that would be simply carrying a gun in from the car or out to it where I live. Guess what. Nobody cares. Just don't do something stupid like that Walmart guy. Welcome to Arizona.

mrh2008

imported post

Ive been in Arizona nearly all my life, im one of the lucky ones that got out of Komiefornia. What you did was questionable in my book, but thats just my opinion.dont know if it was right or wrong, i wasnt there, im not LEO and IANAL. Sorry for the frustration. ;)Safe OC'ing

mrh2008

imported post

yes, i understand that the law has recently changed about "brandishing", you may get some excptions. to each, his own.

GWbiker

imported post

armedman wrote:
badbass wrote:
This thread reminds me of the old Mall Ninja stories.http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
My occupation is very dangerous and my weapon is a tool for the job. I don't carry to look cool or get a false since of security like so many here. Try looking down the business end of a gun with someone on the other end that is dead serious.
I did not post on this site to try to impress anyone. I thought others that carried besides my fellow officers would respect and understand why people carry. You wonder why LEOs look at and call you gun nuts.

I feel you could earn some credibility by posting your job type and your location in Arizona.

For the record, I'm retired LEO and I live in Tucson.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

armedman wrote:
The other evening in a parking lot, the wife and myself were putting the baby in the car seat. I noticed a man, you know, one of those outstanding members of our community, that did not "fit in" with the area. He stood at the back of the truck smoking, he was watching us but not staring at us. No words were exchanged. All I did was pull up my shirt and let him get a good look at the 45 on my hip. He walked away and we went on our way.
It was not a normal place for a smoke break. He probably was just going to give me a sob story looking for a hand out. I will never know, all I know is nothing bad happened that may have....
armedman wrote:
All it did was go from concealed to open, the weapon was not touched, "brandished" during the process. I was not looking toward him at the time. I was leaning in the truck fastening the car seat and pulled my shirt up enough to make it viable. So when I stepped down out of the truck he was able to see it.
Like I discovered at the car wash, I wear it open and I don't get people asking for hand outs. Wear it open at an ATM and people stand way back. Covered up they are about three - five feet away.

Kinda show-offy on your part, AM.

Just prejudice. Just kabuki.

No threat...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

armedman wrote:
HankT wrote:
armedman wrote:
The other evening in a parking lot, the wife and myself were putting the baby in the car seat. I noticed a man, you know, one of those outstanding members of our community, that did not "fit in" with the area. He stood at the back of the truck smoking, he was watching us but not staring at us. No words were exchanged. All I did was pull up my shirt and let him get a good look at the 45 on my hip. He walked away and we went on our way.
It was not a normal place for a smoke break. He probably was just going to give me a sob story looking for a hand out. I will never know, all I know is nothing bad happened that may have....
armedman wrote:
All it did was go from concealed to open, the weapon was not touched, "brandished" during the process. I was not looking toward him at the time. I was leaning in the truck fastening the car seat and pulled my shirt up enough to make it viable. So when I stepped down out of the truck he was able to see it.
Like I discovered at the car wash, I wear it open and I don't get people asking for hand outs. Wear it open at an ATM and people stand way back. Covered up they are about three - five feet away.

Kinda show-offy on your part, AM.

Just prejudice. Just kabuki.

No threat...
Whatever guys, I know I have a real reason to carry and it not just because I/we have the rite. I thought we were all on the same side here. At least I can carry were it is posted not to without the hassle. I guess you don't need or want my support in helping everyone to be able to carry in these same places.
So in 90 days anyone OC is "Kinda show-offy or just kabuki."??
No threat....