Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: How to get a pistol at age 20 (?)

  1. #1
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    The girl I'm seeing is 20 years old and wants a pistol in her home. She says that her brother (over 21) can get good deals on pistols through some kind of police/military something-or-other. I am hoping that someone can tell me how to legally register the gun in her name without it being a straw purchase. Does the brother have to register it to himself first? Is there a certain amount of time in between him buying it and gifting it to her? How does this work?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Jackson , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    985

    Post imported post

    yep it has to be registered to him first!

  3. #3
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  4. #4
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,937

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?
    In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

    I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else. As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there isa proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns. There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

    The only limitation on time is the time it takes for everyone to get properly in order with their paperwork.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hartford, MI, ,
    Posts
    353

    Post imported post

    DanM wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?
    In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers.* It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

    I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else.* As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there is*a proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns.* There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

    The only limitation on time is the time it takes for everyone to get properly in order with their paperwork.
    +1

    As long as she can legally own a pistol, then it legally isn't a straw purchase.

    ALTHOUGH.

    I would highly suggest she goes with you to On Target, Gander Mountain, or something, and "tries a few on for size". Step A is to find something comfortable. Simply put, if it's not comfortable in your hand, you're not going to shoot well with it. An XD, Glock, or other double-stack pistol might fit a male's hand, but is much too wide for a female with more petite features. Biology and stuff.

    However, 1911s fit everybody. :P

    She can also legally do a private purchase all by herself, so hit up MGO if you want to go that route. MGO is nice, because you can always convince the seller to meet you at a range, so she can try it before she buys it.

    Hope she finds something reliable, that she's confident with, and has no problem carrying daily.

    -Richard-

  6. #6
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    office888 wrote:
    +1

    As long as she can legally own a pistol, then it legally isn't a straw purchase.

    ALTHOUGH.

    I would highly suggest she goes with you to On Target, Gander Mountain, or something, and "tries a few on for size". Step A is to find something comfortable. Simply put, if it's not comfortable in your hand, you're not going to shoot well with it. An XD, Glock, or other double-stack pistol might fit a male's hand, but is much too wide for a female with more petite features. Biology and stuff.

    However, 1911s fit everybody. :P

    She can also legally do a private purchase all by herself, so hit up MGO if you want to go that route. MGO is nice, because you can always convince the seller to meet you at a range, so she can try it before she buys it.

    Hope she finds something reliable, that she's confident with, and has no problem carrying daily.

    -Richard-
    Yeah, she has small hands. This is the girl you met up at East Hall that night. I'll take her to On Target to try a few on for size.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  7. #7
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    Might I suggest a Taurus PT111 Milpro? They have a slim grip for a double stack pistol. 12+1 9mm

    I have one so if the fit seems good she could shoot it before buying....

    I have had several young ladies with small hands shoot it and really like it... so it may fit the bill.

    Oh and one other thing once you decide on a pistol have K&D Arms in Lawrence give you a quote as his prices are far lower on most guns then everyone else in the area.. and while he may have to order it... the savings makes it worth it.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  8. #8
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    autosurgeon wrote:
    Might I suggest a Taurus PT111 Milpro? They have a slim grip for a double stack pistol. 12+1 9mm

    I have one so if the fit seems good she could shoot it before buying....

    I have had several young ladies with small hands shoot it and really like it... so it may fit the bill.

    Oh and one other thing once you decide on a pistol have K&D Arms in Lawrence give you a quote as his prices are far lower on most guns then everyone else in the area.. and while he may have to order it... the savings makes it worth it.
    Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll have to price shop with her and her brother. I'm not sure what kind of discount he can get, but apparently he gets something worthwhile.

    And oh.... it has to be pink. :P
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  9. #9
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    You mean like this ...


    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  10. #10
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Yep, something like that. Silly girl...
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  11. #11
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    Hey EM87,

    I'm a member of Kalamazoo Rod & Gun club and I'm allowed two guests. I also have several pistols of different sizes and calibers that she could try out. Ihave Tue-Thu off (and probably Fri this week) if you want to set something up.

    I can pm you a list of guns I have available if you're interested.

    As for the pink gun thing I've got one word for you...Duracoat. With that stuff ANY gun can be pink.

    Just let me know.

    Bronson


    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  12. #12
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Bronson wrote:
    Hey EM87,

    I'm a member of Kalamazoo Rod & Gun club and I'm allowed two guests.* I also have several pistols of different sizes and calibers that she could try out.* I*have Tue-Thu off (and probably Fri this week) if you want to set something up.

    I can pm you a list of guns I have available if you're interested.

    As for the pink gun thing I've got one word for you...Duracoat.* With that stuff ANY gun can be pink.

    Just let me know.

    Bronson
    Bronson, that would be great! I'll PM you for further details.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    338

    Post imported post

    DanM wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?
    In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

    I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else. As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there isa proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns. There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

    The only limitation on time is the time it takes for everyone to get properly in order with their paperwork.
    One thing you need to be carefull aboutis to make sure that this transaction can not be interpreted by Feds as "straw purchase"Definition:

    "A straw purchase is any purchase whereby the purchaser is knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves"

    It is all about intent at the time gun is purchased from FFL dealer. So, if you are over 21 and buying in the gun store, then your intent must be that you are buying for yourself and not someone who is under 21(people under 21 are prohibited from purchasing handguns from a FFL dealer). Your inten can, of course change 5 minutes after you walk out of the store. But, keeping this firearm for at least a few days or weeks before transfer ing to a 20 year oldcan help to demonstrate that your original intent was not topurchase this handgun for someoneunder 21.



  14. #14
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270

    Post imported post

    EM, there is also an FFL out of Milford that sells guns at dealer cost plus $25...

    Try some things on first, but PM me if you want his contact info.

  15. #15
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954

    Post imported post

    From the "Don't Lie for the Other Guy" website, the following.

    Buying a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction is a "straw purchase."


    I think the above is a more accurate description of a straw purchase.



    http://www.dontlie.org/why.cfm

    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  16. #16
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the information, everyone.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    367

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    Thanks for the information, everyone.
    I got a great sig 9mm, if she gets the PP, i'll do the transaction.

  18. #18
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Kimberguy wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Thanks for the information, everyone.
    I got a great sig 9mm, if she gets the PP, i'll do the transaction.
    Thanks for the offer, but she doesn't want my help anymore. She hasn't spoken to me since I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us. :/

    At least I learned something!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  19. #19
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    Kimberguy wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Thanks for the information, everyone.
    I got a great sig 9mm, if she gets the PP, i'll do the transaction.
    Thanks for the offer, but she doesn't want my help anymore. She hasn't spoken to me since I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us. :/

    At least I learned something!
    been there done that anyway it is better to figure it out now then after marriage and kids!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  20. #20
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    Thanks for the offer, but she doesn't want my help anymore. She hasn't spoken to me since I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us. :/

    At least I learned something!
    Oooh, harsh. Sorry to hear that.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  21. #21
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Thanks Bronson, but no worries. I'm just glad that we got to teach her how to shoot because whether I talk to her again or not, it was a great experience for her (and me!)

    Speaking of a great experience, I'm going to be buying an American Classic II (deluxe model) as soon as I can afford it. I found a place to get one (new) for a total cost of $451! I have to drive to the east side of the state to get it, but it's worth it. The one at On Target is $519 before tax.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  22. #22
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    Did you check MC Sports on Drake Rd.? They probably won't have one in stock but they can order it for you and their prices are typically pretty good for this area.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  23. #23
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    I would give K&D Arms in Lawrence a call as well... his prices are very good!

    http://www.kdarms.com/
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  24. #24
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Bronson wrote:
    Did you check MC Sports on Drake Rd.?* They probably won't have one in stock but they can order it for you and their prices are typically pretty good for this area.

    Bronson
    I called there but they said they didn't have any in stock. I didn't ask about ordering because the guy said he'd never heard of that company, but that doesn't mean it's not in the catalog.

    If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours? Also, how's the reliability, accuracy, and warranty? (I think you mentioned that the warranty was good.)


    autosurgeon wrote:
    I would give K&D Arms in Lawrence a call as well... his prices are very good!

    http://www.kdarms.com/
    I'll be sure to check there too. Thanks!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  25. #25
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    I just called MC and they said it's not in their catalog.

    K&D is going to get back to me with a price.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •