Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a pistol at age 20 (?)

Post imported post

The girl I'm seeing is 20 years old and wants a pistol in her home. She says that her brother (over 21) can get good deals on pistols through some kind of police/military something-or-other. I am hoping that someone can tell me how to legally register the gun in her name without it being a straw purchase. Does the brother have to register it to himself first? Is there a certain amount of time in between him buying it and gifting it to her? How does this work?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

yep it has to be registered to him first!

Post imported post

Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?
    In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else. As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there isa proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns. There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

The only limitation on time is the time it takes for everyone to get properly in order with their paperwork.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers.* It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else.* As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there is*a proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns.* There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

The only limitation on time is the time it takes for everyone to get properly in order with their paperwork.
    +1

As long as she can legally own a pistol, then it legally isn't a straw purchase.

ALTHOUGH.

I would highly suggest she goes with you to On Target, Gander Mountain, or something, and "tries a few on for size". Step A is to find something comfortable. Simply put, if it's not comfortable in your hand, you're not going to shoot well with it. An XD, Glock, or other double-stack pistol might fit a male's hand, but is much too wide for a female with more petite features. Biology and stuff.

However, 1911s fit everybody. :P

She can also legally do a private purchase all by herself, so hit up MGO if you want to go that route. MGO is nice, because you can always convince the seller to meet you at a range, so she can try it before she buys it.

Hope she finds something reliable, that she's confident with, and has no problem carrying daily.

-Richard-

Post imported post

office888 wrote:
    +1

As long as she can legally own a pistol, then it legally isn't a straw purchase.

ALTHOUGH.

I would highly suggest she goes with you to On Target, Gander Mountain, or something, and "tries a few on for size". Step A is to find something comfortable. Simply put, if it's not comfortable in your hand, you're not going to shoot well with it. An XD, Glock, or other double-stack pistol might fit a male's hand, but is much too wide for a female with more petite features. Biology and stuff.

However, 1911s fit everybody. :P

She can also legally do a private purchase all by herself, so hit up MGO if you want to go that route. MGO is nice, because you can always convince the seller to meet you at a range, so she can try it before she buys it.

Hope she finds something reliable, that she's confident with, and has no problem carrying daily.

-Richard-
    Yeah, she has small hands. This is the girl you met up at East Hall that night. I'll take her to On Target to try a few on for size.

Post imported post

Might I suggest a Taurus PT111 Milpro? They have a slim grip for a double stack pistol. 12+1 9mm

I have one so if the fit seems good she could shoot it before buying....

I have had several young ladies with small hands shoot it and really like it... so it may fit the bill.

Oh and one other thing once you decide on a pistol have K&D Arms in Lawrence give you a quote as his prices are far lower on most guns then everyone else in the area.. and while he may have to order it... the savings makes it worth it.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Might I suggest a Taurus PT111 Milpro? They have a slim grip for a double stack pistol. 12+1 9mm

I have one so if the fit seems good she could shoot it before buying....

I have had several young ladies with small hands shoot it and really like it... so it may fit the bill.

Oh and one other thing once you decide on a pistol have K&D Arms in Lawrence give you a quote as his prices are far lower on most guns then everyone else in the area.. and while he may have to order it... the savings makes it worth it.
    Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll have to price shop with her and her brother. I'm not sure what kind of discount he can get, but apparently he gets something worthwhile.

And oh.... it has to be pink. :P

Post imported post

You mean like this ...

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Yep, something like that. Silly girl...

Post imported post

Hey EM87,

I'm a member of Kalamazoo Rod & Gun club and I'm allowed two guests. I also have several pistols of different sizes and calibers that she could try out. Ihave Tue-Thu off (and probably Fri this week) if you want to set something up.

I can pm you a list of guns I have available if you're interested.

As for the pink gun thing I've got one word for you...Duracoat. With that stuff ANY gun can be pink.

Just let me know.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    Hey EM87,

I'm a member of Kalamazoo Rod & Gun club and I'm allowed two guests.* I also have several pistols of different sizes and calibers that she could try out.* I*have Tue-Thu off (and probably Fri this week) if you want to set something up.

I can pm you a list of guns I have available if you're interested.

As for the pink gun thing I've got one word for you...Duracoat.* With that stuff ANY gun can be pink.

Just let me know.

Bronson
    Bronson, that would be great! I'll PM you for further details.

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else. As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there isa proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns. There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

One thing you need to be carefull aboutis to make sure that this transaction can not be interpreted by Feds as "straw purchase"Definition:

"A straw purchase is any purchase whereby the purchaser is knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves"

It is all about intent at the time gun is purchased from FFL dealer. So, if you are over 21 and buying in the gun store, then your intent must be that you are buying for yourself and not someone who is under 21(people under 21 are prohibited from purchasing handguns from a FFL dealer). Your inten can, of course change 5 minutes after you walk out of the store. But, keeping this firearm for at least a few days or weeks before transfer ing to a 20 year oldcan help to demonstrate that your original intent was not topurchase this handgun for someoneunder 21.

Post imported post

EM, there is also an FFL out of Milford that sells guns at dealer cost plus $25...

Try some things on first, but PM me if you want his contact info.

Post imported post

From the "Don't Lie for the Other Guy" website, the following.

Buying a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction is a "straw purchase."

I think the above is a more accurate description of a straw purchase.

http://www.dontlie.org/why.cfm

Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

Thanks for the information, everyone.

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    I got a great sig 9mm, if she gets the PP, i'll do the transaction.

Post imported post

Kimberguy wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Thanks for the offer, but she doesn't want my help anymore. She hasn't spoken to me since I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us. :/

At least I learned something!

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    Kimberguy wrote:
    EM87 wrote:
    Thanks for the offer, but she doesn't want my help anymore. She hasn't spoken to me since I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us. :/

been there done that anyway it is better to figure it out now then after marriage and kids!

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:

Oooh, harsh. Sorry to hear that.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Thanks Bronson, but no worries. I'm just glad that we got to teach her how to shoot because whether I talk to her again or not, it was a great experience for her (and me!)

Speaking of a great experience, I'm going to be buying an American Classic II (deluxe model) as soon as I can afford it. I found a place to get one (new) for a total cost of $451! I have to drive to the east side of the state to get it, but it's worth it. The one at On Target is $519 before tax.

Post imported post

Did you check MC Sports on Drake Rd.? They probably won't have one in stock but they can order it for you and their prices are typically pretty good for this area.

Bronson

Post imported post

I would give K&D Arms in Lawrence a call as well... his prices are very good!

http://www.kdarms.com/

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    Did you check MC Sports on Drake Rd.?* They probably won't have one in stock but they can order it for you and their prices are typically pretty good for this area.

Bronson
    I called there but they said they didn't have any in stock. I didn't ask about ordering because the guy said he'd never heard of that company, but that doesn't mean it's not in the catalog.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours? Also, how's the reliability, accuracy, and warranty? (I think you mentioned that the warranty was good.)

autosurgeon wrote:
    I would give K&D Arms in Lawrence a call as well... his prices are very good!

http://www.kdarms.com/
    I'll be sure to check there too. Thanks!

Post imported post

I just called MC and they said it's not in their catalog.

K&D is going to get back to me with a price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast