• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to get a pistol at age 20 (?)

EM87

imported post

The girl I'm seeing is 20 years old and wants a pistol in her home. She says that her brother (over 21) can get good deals on pistols through some kind of police/military something-or-other. I am hoping that someone can tell me how to legally register the gun in her name without it being a straw purchase. Does the brother have to register it to himself first? Is there a certain amount of time in between him buying it and gifting it to her? How does this work?

EM87

imported post

Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?

DanM

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Do you know if there's a limit as to how long it has to be registered to him? 30 days maybe? As far as gifting goes, do you just have to fill out a purchase permit?

In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else. As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there isa proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns. There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

The only limitation on time is the time it takes for everyone to get properly in order with their paperwork.

office888

imported post

DanM wrote:
EM87 wrote:

In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers.  It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else.  As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there is a proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns.  There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

The only limitation on time is the time it takes for everyone to get properly in order with their paperwork.

+1

As long as she can legally own a pistol, then it legally isn't a straw purchase.

ALTHOUGH.

I would highly suggest she goes with you to On Target, Gander Mountain, or something, and "tries a few on for size". Step A is to find something comfortable. Simply put, if it's not comfortable in your hand, you're not going to shoot well with it. An XD, Glock, or other double-stack pistol might fit a male's hand, but is much too wide for a female with more petite features. Biology and stuff.

However, 1911s fit everybody. :p

She can also legally do a private purchase all by herself, so hit up MGO if you want to go that route. MGO is nice, because you can always convince the seller to meet you at a range, so she can try it before she buys it.

Hope she finds something reliable, that she's confident with, and has no problem carrying daily.

-Richard-

EM87

imported post

office888 wrote:
+1

As long as she can legally own a pistol, then it legally isn't a straw purchase.

ALTHOUGH.

I would highly suggest she goes with you to On Target, Gander Mountain, or something, and "tries a few on for size". Step A is to find something comfortable. Simply put, if it's not comfortable in your hand, you're not going to shoot well with it. An XD, Glock, or other double-stack pistol might fit a male's hand, but is much too wide for a female with more petite features. Biology and stuff.

However, 1911s fit everybody. :p

She can also legally do a private purchase all by herself, so hit up MGO if you want to go that route. MGO is nice, because you can always convince the seller to meet you at a range, so she can try it before she buys it.

Hope she finds something reliable, that she's confident with, and has no problem carrying daily.

-Richard-

Yeah, she has small hands. This is the girl you met up at East Hall that night. I'll take her to On Target to try a few on for size.

autosurgeon

imported post

Might I suggest a Taurus PT111 Milpro? They have a slim grip for a double stack pistol. 12+1 9mm

I have one so if the fit seems good she could shoot it before buying....

I have had several young ladies with small hands shoot it and really like it... so it may fit the bill.

Oh and one other thing once you decide on a pistol have K&D Arms in Lawrence give you a quote as his prices are far lower on most guns then everyone else in the area.. and while he may have to order it... the savings makes it worth it.

EM87

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Might I suggest a Taurus PT111 Milpro? They have a slim grip for a double stack pistol. 12+1 9mm

I have one so if the fit seems good she could shoot it before buying....

I have had several young ladies with small hands shoot it and really like it... so it may fit the bill.

Oh and one other thing once you decide on a pistol have K&D Arms in Lawrence give you a quote as his prices are far lower on most guns then everyone else in the area.. and while he may have to order it... the savings makes it worth it.

Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll have to price shop with her and her brother. I'm not sure what kind of discount he can get, but apparently he gets something worthwhile.

And oh.... it has to be pink. :p

autosurgeon

imported post

You mean like this ...

Taurus+PT138+Millennium-1a.jpg

Bronson

imported post

Hey EM87,

I'm a member of Kalamazoo Rod & Gun club and I'm allowed two guests. I also have several pistols of different sizes and calibers that she could try out. Ihave Tue-Thu off (and probably Fri this week) if you want to set something up.

I can pm you a list of guns I have available if you're interested.

As for the pink gun thing I've got one word for you...Duracoat. With that stuff ANY gun can be pink.

Just let me know.

Bronson

EM87

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Hey EM87,

I'm a member of Kalamazoo Rod & Gun club and I'm allowed two guests.  I also have several pistols of different sizes and calibers that she could try out.  I have Tue-Thu off (and probably Fri this week) if you want to set something up.

I can pm you a list of guns I have available if you're interested.

As for the pink gun thing I've got one word for you...Duracoat.  With that stuff ANY gun can be pink.

Just let me know.

Bronson

Bronson, that would be great! I'll PM you for further details.

sasha601

imported post

DanM wrote:
EM87 wrote:

In Michigan, there's no time limit between private, lawful transfers. It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of proper paperwork between buyers/sellers or gifters/recipients.

I can purchase/receive a handgun today and, on the same day, sell/gift it to someone else. As long as everyone is obtaining the proper licenses and the proper registration paperwork, there isa proper legal record of transactions between people legally allowed to own guns. There's no "straw purchasing" happening, or anything else illegal.

One thing you need to be carefull aboutis to make sure that this transaction can not be interpreted by Feds as "straw purchase"Definition:

"A straw purchase is any purchase whereby the purchaser is knowingly acquiring an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves"

It is all about intent at the time gun is purchased from FFL dealer. So, if you are over 21 and buying in the gun store, then your intent must be that you are buying for yourself and not someone who is under 21(people under 21 are prohibited from purchasing handguns from a FFL dealer). Your inten can, of course change 5 minutes after you walk out of the store. But, keeping this firearm for at least a few days or weeks before transfer ing to a 20 year oldcan help to demonstrate that your original intent was not topurchase this handgun for someoneunder 21.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

EM, there is also an FFL out of Milford that sells guns at dealer cost plus $25...

Try some things on first, but PM me if you want his contact info.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

From the "Don't Lie for the Other Guy" website, the following.

Buying a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction is a "straw purchase."

I think the above is a more accurate description of a straw purchase. :)

http://www.dontlie.org/why.cfm

EM87

imported post

Kimberguy wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Thanks for the information, everyone.
I got a great sig 9mm, if she gets the PP, i'll do the transaction.

Thanks for the offer, but she doesn't want my help anymore. She hasn't spoken to me since I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us. :/

At least I learned something!

autosurgeon

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Kimberguy wrote:
EM87 wrote:
Thanks for the information, everyone.
I got a great sig 9mm, if she gets the PP, i'll do the transaction.

Thanks for the offer, but she doesn't want my help anymore. She hasn't spoken to me since I told her that it wasn't going to work out between us. :/

:( been there done that :banghead: anyway it is better to figure it out now then after marriage and kids!

Bronson

imported post

EM87 wrote:

Oooh, harsh. Sorry to hear that.

Bronson