• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to get a pistol at age 20 (?)

EM87

imported post

Thanks Bronson, but no worries. I'm just glad that we got to teach her how to shoot because whether I talk to her again or not, it was a great experience for her (and me!)

Speaking of a great experience, I'm going to be buying an American Classic II (deluxe model) as soon as I can afford it. I found a place to get one (new) for a total cost of $451! I have to drive to the east side of the state to get it, but it's worth it. The one at On Target is $519 before tax.

Bronson

imported post

Did you check MC Sports on Drake Rd.? They probably won't have one in stock but they can order it for you and their prices are typically pretty good for this area.

Bronson

EM87

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Did you check MC Sports on Drake Rd.?  They probably won't have one in stock but they can order it for you and their prices are typically pretty good for this area.

Bronson

I called there but they said they didn't have any in stock. I didn't ask about ordering because the guy said he'd never heard of that company, but that doesn't mean it's not in the catalog.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours? Also, how's the reliability, accuracy, and warranty? (I think you mentioned that the warranty was good.)

autosurgeon wrote:
I would give K&D Arms in Lawrence a call as well... his prices are very good!

http://www.kdarms.com/

I'll be sure to check there too. Thanks!

Bronson

imported post

EM87 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours? Also, how's the reliability, accuracy, and warranty? (I think you mentioned that the warranty was good.)

I believe I gave around $470.00 + tax for mine. Mine is the now discontinued Firestorm brand....it's the same gun as the American Classic but the U.S. importer contracted with Metro Arms to make them with the Firestorm brand name. The importer is no longer having that done so everything they are bringing in now bears the American Classic name.

When I bought mine there was an American Classic on the shelf and it was $20.00 more. I think this has to do with a stigma that follows the Firestorm brand name. Several years ago Firestorm contracted with Llama in Spainto make 1911s with the Firestorm brand name. They were junk. Llama has since gone belly up and the new 1911s being offered are made in the Philippines by Metro Arms, these are great. Unfortunately there are still some old Spanish made Llama Firestorms out there on the used market, these should be avoided at all costs. Many old timers have a hard time letting go of the past and associate everything with the Firestorm name on it with junk. Just to clarify--Firestorm never made any firearms. They contracted with other gun makers to make firearms with theFirestorm name. Sometimes theycontracted with good companies (Bersa & Metro Arms) and sometimes they contracted with not-so-good companies (Llama and whoever makes their line of Commanche revolvers).

I think I've got about 400-450 rounds of FMJ and HP ammo through mine without a single issue. It is as accurate, if not more, than my $1000.00 Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, and it has a lifetime warranty. It uses the same warranty centers as Bersa so that place I told you about in Colorado (Colorado Gun Works) that hooked me upwith my Bersais also a warranty center for the American Classics.

Bronson