• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALABAMA OPEN CARRY IS LIVE!

Dianosis

imported post

Thanks Guys, I tried hard to publish us a professional, functional site. Now lets get everyone using it!

kurtmax_0

imported post

Hey if you want anything from the old alabamagunrights.org site go ahead an contact me. I'm most likely going to no longer be hosting it in a few weeks.

I'd be happy to transfer ownership of the domain name as well if you want it.

Dianosis

imported post

Awesome! Thanks for the offer, can you PM me your contact info so I can get with you on the details? Or if you prefer I can get you mine. Thanks again!

Dianosis

imported post

Thanks! Ya I'm hoping more people will use it as we grow, going to be swapping to a better client in the future as well.

possumbarnes

imported post

Site looks awesome!

But, I'm going to criticize one small bit. It may just be my eyes getting old, but I found tan colored text on a gray background very hard to read. Lot of strain on the eyes and I had to do the old CTRL-scroll mouse wheel to magnify the page 3 or 4 times in order to read it. Instead of dark gray, go full-on black for a text background to ease the eye strain.

But, like I said, it could easily just be my eyes being weak.

Great job on the site!

Dianosis

imported post

Maybe we'll make some changes in version 2.0 ;) Thanks for the feedback! Nowadays it's hard to get a font size everyone agrees on especially with monitors getting bigger, widescreen, and super high resolutions.

PT111

imported post

Thank you for this sitealong withthe info and links you put on it. I thnk it is well organized and quite informative. Through this I think I am fully able to understand the entire interpretations of all of this. The Tri-Fold is good but leaves a lot of room for confusion to me but looking trhough you links I have been able to find what I have been looking for. Maybe I can explain my thought process and see if it agrees with others.

Step 1. The Alabama Constitution guarantees the right of citizens to bear arms. This wasconfirmed by the Supreme Court of AL in the 1840 case of State v. Reid. It is important that we remember this as the basis for the rest of the discussion. The SC in this ruling says that the state cannot totally prohibit the bearing of arms (carrying of a pistol), however the state can set limits on how it is carried (either openly or concealed but not deny both).

Step 2. 13A-11-52 Says that it is illegal to carry a pistol on premises not his own. At first this would appear to mean that one cannot carry either OC or CC, however in light of the ruling in 1840 the state cannot ban both. Therefore it may be understood that this would only apply to CC. It would not matter which way we take it as 13A-11-73 defines it further.

Step 3. 13A-11-73 Defines the need for a permit to CC making -52 apply only to CC and not to OC. Since there can be only one-73 says it it CC that is restricted.

Therefore if the state cannot prohibit both OC and CC (1840 SC ruling) and 13A-11-73 defines the need for a permit to CC then only CC can be restricted and OC cannot be restricted. Hense AL cannot restrict OC on a general basis, certain plaes off limits, and OC is legal in AL. I now understand. To me the majorityof the confusion on my part and I expect of others is the failure of people when trying to explain the right to OC in AL fail to explain the simple ruling of the 1840 SC and instead try to depend on so many other rulings and quotes.

eye95

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Thank you for this sitealong withthe info and links you put on it. I thnk it is well organized and quite informative. Through this I think I am fully able to understand the entire interpretations of all of this. The Tri-Fold is good but leaves a lot of room for confusion to me but looking trhough you links I have been able to find what I have been looking for. Maybe I can explain my thought process and see if it agrees with others.

Step 1. The Alabama Constitution guarantees the right of citizens to bear arms. This wasconfirmed by the Supreme Court of AL in the 1840 case of State v. Reid. It is important that we remember this as the basis for the rest of the discussion. The SC in this ruling says that the state cannot totally prohibit the bearing of arms (carrying of a pistol), however the state can set limits on how it is carried (either openly or concealed but not deny both).

Step 2. 13A-11-52 Says that it is illegal to carry a pistol on premises not his own. At first this would appear to mean that one cannot carry either OC or CC, however in light of the ruling in 1840 the state cannot ban both. Therefore it may be understood that this would only apply to CC. It would not matter which way we take it as 13A-11-73 defines it further.

Step 3. 13A-11-73 Defines the need for a permit to CC making -52 apply only to CC and not to OC. Since there can be only one-73 says it it CC that is restricted.

Therefore if the state cannot prohibit both OC and CC (1840 SC ruling) and 13A-11-73 defines the need for a permit to CC then only CC can be restricted and OC cannot be restricted. Hense AL cannot restrict OC on a general basis, certain plaes off limits, and OC is legal in AL. I now understand. To me the majorityof the confusion on my part and I expect of others is the failure of people when trying to explain the right to OC in AL fail to explain the simple ruling of the 1840 SC and instead try to depend on so many other rulings and quotes.
As good a summation as I have heard so far. The key step (that most keep missing, and that I missed until Mike pointed it out to me) is that -52 can only apply to CC.

PT111

imported post

If not for the SC ruling that it is a right for citizens to carry one way or another then -52 would apply to either CC or OC. Ther is nothing in -52 than infers or implies either. It simplay says that no person shall carry a pistol about his person. Now I am not a legal scholar but there is no way that I can interpret that to mean just OC or CC. To make an assumption that it means only CC must come from additional information and this is what the entire discussion is based on.

Section-73 says No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person without a license. To me the two do not conflict in themselves and without the 1840 SC ruling would stand alone, meaning that one can only carry with a permit. Section -52 says you cannot carry in public but -73 says that you can carry in public with a permit.

The 1840 SC ruling says that under the AL Constitution the state cannot completely ban the carrying of arms but must "allow" either OC or CC. What would be interesting is if the SC were to take this matter back up and rule that since the State cannot ban both types of carry but can ban one type could the state prohibit one from carrying openly if they had a permit to CC?

Since this ruling was from 1840 which was before the Civil War and the present Alabama Constitution dates from 1901. Although the wording in the 1901 version is the same as the one datingback to 1840 would the present SC have to depend on that ruling or could they make a new ruling and reverse the 1840 interpretation?

Could/would they even go so far as to issue a new ruling andthrow outthe 1840 version. This is not unprecendented and could happen.

eye95

imported post

PT111 wrote:
If not for the SC ruling that it is a right for citizens to carry one way or another then -52 would apply to either CC or OC. Ther is nothing in -52 than infers or implies either. It simplay says that no person shall carry a pistol about his person. Now I am not a legal scholar but there is no way that I can interpret that to mean just OC or CC. To make an assumption that it means only CC must come from additional information and this is what the entire discussion is based on.

Section-73 says No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person without a license. To me the two do not conflict in themselves and without the 1840 SC ruling would stand alone, meaning that one can only carry with a permit. Section -52 says you cannot carry in public but -73 says that you can carry in public with a permit.

The 1840 SC ruling says that under the AL Constitution the state cannot completely ban the carrying of arms but must "allow" either OC or CC. What would be interesting is if the SC were to take this matter back up and rule that since the State cannot ban both types of carry but can ban one type could the state prohibit one from carrying openly if they had a permit to CC?

Since this ruling was from 1840 which was before the Civil War and the present Alabama Constitution dates from 1901. Although the wording in the 1901 version is the same as the one datingback to 1840 would the present SC have to depend on that ruling or could they make a new ruling and reverse the 1840 interpretation?

Could/would they even go so far as to issue a new ruling andthrow outthe 1840 version. This is not unprecendented and could happen.
The law has been recodified many times. If the wording does not change, neither does the interpretation. Since the wording in the AL Constitution did not change in the 1901 version as it relates to the RKBA, the interpretation should not change. Had the authors of the 1901 Constitution want the AL SC interpretation to be nullified, they would have reworded the guarantee of the RKBA.

PT111

imported post

Dianosis wrote:
Maybe we'll make some changes in version 2.0 ;) Thanks for the feedback! Nowadays it's hard to get a font size everyone agrees on especially with monitors getting bigger, widescreen, and super high resolutions.
Good luck with that. OC will be common place world-wide before you will be able to get a majority opinion on those things. :p The site looks good.

Brad_G

Soon to be Birmingham........., Alabama, USA
imported post

I really like the colors, which are really close to the ones I am using for my next version of Alabama Shooters Association.

I'm adding a "links" page pretty soon, and I'm collecting information on sites that would like to be linked.

Let me know if you want me to add your site to the links page.

Good job on the site. I only wish I could learn this website building stuff a little faster so I could increase my sites efficiency and appearance sooner than later.

BSG

http://ALshooters.com

Dianosis

imported post

Absolutely you can add a link, and thanks for the nice comments. I'll add a link to you guys on my next update in the Documents and Tools section.

EDIT: Link Added!