• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carson City Costco says NO!!!

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wanted to do some shopping there today, but before I went, I called and asked for the Store Manager on duty. His name is Wes Camp, so he told me. Anyhow, he gets on the line and I'm being extremely polite and respectful, as always, and I informed him I was a member there, and also buy for my business as well and that I wanted to know what their OC policy was, and are they OC friendly?

He said, are you a LEO? I said no, I am a member there. He said unless you are a LEO, absolutely no firearms allowed. I said, "really, I didn't notice any signs posted saying such, are you aware of that"? He said it doesn't matter, it's our store policy.

So I go down there, no OC and get their corporate number. We'll see what happens.

This was around 2:30 PM 4-17-10

.45acp

imported post

dchoepp wrote:

Wanted to do some shopping there today, but before I went, I called and asked for the Store Manager on duty. His name is Wes Camp, so he told me. Anyhow, he gets on the line and I'm being extremely polite and respectful, as always, and I informed him I was a member there, and also buy for my business as well and that I wanted to know what their OC policy was, and are they OC friendly?

He said, are you a LEO? I said no, I am a member there. He said unless you are a LEO, absolutely no firearms allowed. I said, "really, I didn't notice any signs posted saying such, are you aware of that"? He said it doesn't matter, it's our store policy.

So I go down there, no OC and get their corporate number. We'll see what happens.

This was around 2:30 PM 4-17-10

I believe it is Costco's policy, the Costco I used to shop at in Tuscon, AZ is posted. I dumped my membership and now shop at Sam's club. No issues with OC, at least in Tucson.

Steve

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's fine with me. I like Costco and their products, but they feel it's uneccessry to bring firearms into the building unless you are LEO, and for the PROTECTION of the public. Okay, what about the crackhead that tries to go in with a gun concealed to rob the place, or take hostages. What's stopping them?

Looks like I'll be getting a refun on my membership!

I WILL not support a business that doesn't support or adhere to the state laws, or support the state constitution or U.S. Constitution, American Rights.

My .02

The Big Guy

imported post

Just curious, why did you ask permission? I carry on a daily basis, never leave home without it. I go about my business and usually don't even think about reaction to me OCing. If they don't want your business, they will tell you to leave. I shop in the local Costco here in Henderson/LV several times a month and have never had word one said to me. Just some advise, for what it's worth, don't draw attention to yourself. Let it become your norm. When you are nervous about it your body language draws attention to you. Never ask permission to do what is your right.

BG

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What spurred the phone call is this has been an ongoing debate between my wife and I about OC and since we were going down there, to ease her mind, I made the call. She wants to OC too, somewhat nervous, but she brought up a good point to me. For instance, what if we go into an establishment where not all employees know about their company policy, and get wierd about the OC and start to cause a scene. This happened to me in Home Depot and BestBuy recently. Its seems to be the norm that the low level employee's don't know much about their policies, but are willing to give you an answer they think is right, which is WRONG.

I have spoken to the Managers at home depot, who corrected the employee and will pass a memo on to the store. I am also waiting to hear back from BestBuy Manager Dan Friejas, as another employee (low level) told me there that I would have to leave with the gun. Dan (store manager) will be getting back to me with a call on Monday and with a letter as well. He even isn't sure what the policy is, however is mentioned that it might be like Costco.

Loneviking

imported post

Yeah, I know about Costco and wish there were a Sams' club closeby. I carry CCW in Costco. I am surprised at Home Depot allowing OC as the one on the North end of town has objected (I've heard) to an OC'er. The McDonalds on Koontz and 395 is also hostile to OC. From what I've seen, Carson City is not too receptive to OC.

I got an earful one morning from an older guy at the sporting goods desk at Walmart on Topsy. I had stopped by at the last minute on my way to the range as I needed some targets. I went in the side door by automotive and straight back to sporting goods. The guy hands me the targets and goes 'why are you openly carrying a gun? Are you a marshal? (There's quite a few U.S. Marshals in town. Con Air flies into the local airport). Nope, I said, just headed to the range and found I was short on targets. Well, he said, we don't like folks carrying guns openly in here. Fine, I told him, let me pay for the targets and I'm gone! I guess the store manager is fine with OC as long as no one complains, but it seems as if there is always someone who will.

varminter22

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
Just curious, why did you ask permission? I carry on a daily basis, never leave home without it. I go about my business and usually don't even think about reaction to me OCing. If they don't want your business, they will tell you to leave. I shop in the local Costco here in Henderson/LV several times a month and have never had word one said to me. Just some advise, for what it's worth, don't draw attention to yourself. Let it become your norm. When you are nervous about it your body language draws attention to you. Never ask permission to do what is your right.

BG

While I agree with your premise "Never ask permission to do what is your right," I see nothing wrong with inquiring as to a company/store policy. Actually, it does help one decide whether or not to patronize the businss in question.

And, of course, I agree that you're correct - one can only be told to leave (under threat of trespass).

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Its all about ignorance and lack of knowledge on these peoples part. To me, since I recently became an OCer, it's astounding what people think they know, to what is actually right, and then trying to enforce what they "think"is right is just ridiculous.

The whole thought process of "its for the people's protection" is absurd. I would really like to get a nice group together soon, and start on a regular basis here in CC for an event of some sort, even in Reno

My wife has served as a Marine, has a college education, is an EMT and is in Nursing.

I have a college education, an EMT as well.

I think Most of us OC'ers (ones I know) are extremely intelligent, knowledgeable, courteous, dress well, respectful, and the list goes on and on. I would like to have a get together in CC supporting and showing what OC is and spread the awareness and the "RIGHT".