Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harassed At Centennial Park In West Valley

Post imported post

Well, I was OC at Centennial Park playing tennis with my kids in West Valley today, when good old officer Smith, the same officer who accosted TJ back in the day, shows up with a posse in blue and a nice fellow with an AR-15 to welcome me to the neighborhood. Awwwe, how nice of them to make their way out to see me and say howdy. It would seem that the locals don't like the minority white boys carrying guns at the park over there.

I can see that their previous experience with OCers has done nothing to change their policy or their mentality. I'm not going to go into a lot of details about what went down because I'm waiting for a response from internal affairs and the standards review board. They made some pretty jacked up mistakes during the terry stop which I intend to have addressed and/or corrected. I have a recording of the incident and will release the recording to the public in due time. I really wanted to say a lot more things and defend myself a lot better, but my kids were so upset and clingy to me during the encounter, I decided to take the high road and let the OEOs have their opinion festival and not stir up a bees nest. They say you pick your battles according to the circumstances, and this was not the time or place to become a test case.

I will be contacting some people at the state legislature. I am going to "push the issue" officer Smith, you can count on that. I don't care if you are knee deep in it or not. By the time I'm through, you will be up to your neck in it. Like you insinuate, sooner or later they are going to have to decide whether or not to abolish open carry. Whatever idiot politician wants to try that in Utah, good luck. That will be the end of their career. I can still carry whether they outlaw it or not, but I will not tolerate being harassed by police for doing nothing illegal just because some idiot sheep gets upset because they can see my gun. I have been carrying a sidearm everywhere for nearly 13 years, and it is an insult to me and every other law-abiding citizen when the people who are supposed to protect and serve are more of a threat and a pain in the ass than the criminals. Oh, and don't you ever tell me what to do and not to do around my kids. Also, if you are so worried about wasting time and resources responding to people like me, then train your dispatchers to weed us out from the criminal element and leave us law-abiding open carriers the hell alone and quit wasting your precious manpower. We aren't the problem, you and your asinine policies are. Fix the problem at the departmental level and quit blaming other people for your stupidity.

Kevin

Edited for two typos and one grammer mistake.
    If it isn't broke, then don't fix it, or you'll fix it until it's broke.

Post imported post

Amen Brother
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

Is it time for another visit to the city council? I think we should and hold our monthly OC dinner immediately following so that we have a good number of participants at the council meeting.

Post imported post

Rottie wrote:
    Is it time for another visit to the city council? I think we should and hold our monthly OC dinner immediately following so that we have a good number of participants at the council meeting.

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    Rottie wrote:
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I composed a letter to Chief Thayle tonight and need to ship it off in the morning. I will be back at the same park next weekend for another round of tennis and a stint at the ice skating rink with my kids if anyone would like to join us. It will probably be in the afternoon around 2 or 3:00. Maybe WVC's finest will show up again and have a picnic with us. lol

Kevin
    You know the rules!!! You say it you plan it I'll go out of my way to show up for this one sounds like fun:celebrate

Post imported post

Kevin, I look forward to hearing the recording. I hope they were not too out of line. Does anybody know if anyone has shared with the department the federal court rulings like Matthew St John vs David Mcolley and others out of new mexico that outline that the mere posession of a firearm is not probable cause or even amount to reasonable suspicion absent any threatening behavior?

I am curious as to how long you were detained etc. Maybe worth a call to a lawyer. Then again with as vague as you were in the original post maybe you already have one .

Post imported post

Ok, tell me if you think it is a good idea to host our next OC-BBQ in this park? I will put it together, how fun would it be to have a kicka$$ game of Kickball while OCing. How scary would that be? Just about scary as a guy walking toward you with an AR-15 what is up with that?

When is the last time you seen a Bad guy OCing in a holster playing with his kids in the park? I am thinkingwhere are things Cops from Southern California, New Jersey, New York, Chicago, I mean really? Don't Tread on me!
    Utah Certified Concealed Firearms Permit Instructor
    NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

There is a BBQ being put together on May 22nd over on UCC. There still hasn't been a time or place scheduled yet, but I just asked for more info so we can get it nailed down. So if you plan it, please be aware of this one so they don't get put on the same weekend so people can maybe make it to both.

Post imported post

Post imported post

So, they took pictures of you and your carry rig? Sounds like they want their "mug shots" even when they cannot arrest you for anything.

That IMHO is abuse of authority.

Post imported post

Wow this is sounding like they are trying to prove a some kinda point. Rather than just responding to a MWOG call??????
    I would agree this place is in need of as large of OC gathering as we can possibly put together. Maybe we can get the whole West valley PD to show up in full riot gear
    I'm definitely up to attending this one this kind of crap can not be tolerated at all!!! Oh maybe while we are at it dress in orange jump suits and do some street clean up with our guns on the outside of the jump suit:quirky If a statement is what they want a statement we should give!!

Post imported post

Ok. I heard back from internal affairs this morning. They are conducting an investigation and will have the results by next week at the earliest. As promised, here is the link to the audio of the incident. It's only about 8 minutes long, so it's not a huge download. I dubbed this copy to remove my personal information to protect my identity from trolls and left wingers.

West Valley City Encounter #1

http://www.4shared.com/file/2PownlMV/WVCPD_Encounter1.html

Copy that into your browser. You will need winzip to unzip it. I want to wait a little longer to post the link to the letter I wrote to Chief Thayle because there is a possibility that he may contact me, and I would like to add commentary on what he has to say if anything.

Kevin

Edited to fix link to audio file

Post imported post

My heart was pounding so hard when I heard you say "Its ok honey they're just doing their job." Hy heart was breaking. That is ridiculous. So frustrated.
    You were way calm and handled it very well.
    So frustrated. "Not that we would hurt any of your kids, but..." Prone them out on the ground" ???
    So frustrated.
    -banki-

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

ichigo wrote:
    My heart was pounding so hard when I heard you say "Its ok honey they're just doing their job."
    Their job?

Post imported post

I can't get the link to work.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:
    Try this

http://www.4shared.com/file/2PownlMV...ncounter1.html

Then click the download link and wait for the other link to appear.

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    Outdoorsman wrote:
    Try this

http://www.4shared.com/file/2PownlMV...ncounter1.html

Then click the download link and wait for the other link to appear.
    Got it, thanks.

Post imported post

Now that I've listened to the file, I have this to say... How dare you try to protect yourself and your kids! Those poor cops had to come all the way out there and stomp on your rights. Who do you think you are wasting the taxpayer's money like that? I sure am glad they gave you the tongue-lashing you deserved. No one needs a gun in a park! You shouldonly carry it elsewherebecause crime will never find you there! What were you thinking!

Anyway, I hope you're able to educate that department on how law-abiding citizens should be treated. Don't give up the good fight.

Post imported post

Wow, after listening to the recording I don't know if it is just me or not, but toward the end itsounds like he is trying to intimidate you by threatening harm to your kids.:shock:

Post imported post

Walther wrote:
    Wow, after listening to the recording I don't know if it is just me or not, but toward the end itsounds like he is trying to intimidate you by threatening harm to your kids.:shock:
    I'm glad to see others have picked up on that. That's exactly what he was doing. He was sure to be nice and methodical about his wording to make it appear he was genuinely concerned for their welfare, but it was obvious what he was trying to do. It's intimidation and scare tactics any way you slice it.

Kevin

Post imported post

Let me tell you something my brothers & sisters ANY ONE, and I mean ANY ONE who says these words; "No one is a bigger advocate for the 2nd Amendment then me, or I am all for Open Carry, BUT! They area liar and don't listen to another word they say, they are not on your side! You call them out on the carpet and say there is no BUT when it come to Law abiding citizensconstitutionalrights!

I am going to go to that park and sing songs, and play on the play ground, do cart-wheels, and jump in place for 5 minutes:celebrate, with no gun of course, just to see if someone calls the police about a guy who is exercising his 1st amendment rights? Seeing that I am not breaking any laws, I doubt the call ME1STAR will not be placed.
    IThis "half cocked" COP should be kick off the force! I want his badge so I can respond to one of those MWAG call and playtennis with him and his kids.Then say, have a nice day, your are welcome to this Park anytime, seeing how your tax dollars are payings for it, and for my salary.

Have Blessed Day. Officer Pistol Pete

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
    Ok. I heard back from internal affairs this morning. They are really cool in that department and were very professional. They are conducting an investigation and will have the results by next week at the earliest. As promised, here is the link to the audio of the incident. It's only about 8 minutes long, so it's not a huge download. I dubbed this copy to remove my personal information to protect my identity from trolls and left wingers.

West Valley City Encounter #1

http://dc229.4shared.com/download/26...34414-99378574

Copy that into your browser. You will need winzip to unzip it. I want to wait a little longer to post the link to the letter I wrote to Chief Thayle because there is a possibility that he may contact me, and I would like to add commentary on what he has to say if anything.

Kevin
    Dude,

I am sure you weeded out a lot of people posting that recording the way you did, or you have some stock in that website? lol

Well done my brother you are a great Dad, your kids one day will listen that and say thanks Dad you're a great Dad, and a great American.

Lover of Freedom

Post imported post

Wow kinda odd he is knee deep in it and this is how we are have to respond????
    So what went wrong with the Ogden PD when I walked in the station house yesterday OCing and was treated respectfully. The officer glanced at it that was it! no threats no warning nothing. JUST THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!!!!!!!!!! He helped me with my questions thats it.

That guy is a badge heavy clown the OCPD see me about every day mowing grass wandering all over town and NEVER one problem. (well once one ******* give me the riot act)So I have to say this guy is full of ****. But I know a guy who spent 20 years for the West Vally PD I think I'll give him a call see what his opinion is. Maybe its a department thing & OCPD are the only ones without their head up there butt

Post imported post

From What you describe and what I heard on the recording, it is quite possible that West Valley City Police Department is the worst department in the state when it comes to upholding and sustaining the law. Don't get me wrong. I wish them all well and pray for their safety, but when compared to the lack of attention showed me by Bountiful's finest (and I truly mean that in the most respectful way) WVCPD gets a failing grade. For the officer to suggest that everytime they meet an OCer they will be proned out at gunpoint without cause is a black eye for the department at best and a wrongful death suit at worst. Accidents happen (see link). But hey, I guess upholding and defending the constituion of the State of Utah and the United States means very little to WVCPD. I am hoping against hope for them that there was something in the original call that justifies their actions but from the sounds of it there won't be, otherwise their initial interactions with you should have contained the nature of their inquiry and justification for your detention which was absent.

Apparently we should not carry guns because West Valley Police are the only ones prefesional enough to carry them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAVYFRM5Tl8

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast