• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed At Centennial Park In West Valley

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Well, I was OC at Centennial Park playing tennis with my kids in West Valley today, when good old officer Smith, the same officer who accosted TJ back in the day, shows up with a posse in blue and a nice fellow with an AR-15 to welcome me to the neighborhood. Awwwe, how nice of them to make their way out to see me and say howdy. It would seem that the locals don't like the minority white boys carrying guns at the park over there.

I can see that their previous experience with OCers has done nothing to change their policy or their mentality. I'm not going to go into a lot of details about what went down because I'm waiting for a response from internal affairs and the standards review board. They made some pretty jacked up mistakes during the terry stop which I intend to have addressed and/or corrected. I have a recording of the incident and will release the recording to the public in due time. I really wanted to say a lot more things and defend myself a lot better, but my kids were so upset and clingy to me during the encounter, I decided to take the high road and let the OEOs have their opinion festival and not stir up a bees nest. They say you pick your battles according to the circumstances, and this was not the time or place to become a test case.

I will be contacting some people at the state legislature. I am going to "push the issue" officer Smith, you can count on that. I don't care if you are knee deep in it or not. By the time I'm through, you will be up to your neck in it. Like you insinuate, sooner or later they are going to have to decide whether or not to abolish open carry. Whatever idiot politician wants to try that in Utah, good luck. That will be the end of their career. I can still carry whether they outlaw it or not, but I will not tolerate being harassed by police for doing nothing illegal just because some idiot sheep gets upset because they can see my gun. I have been carrying a sidearm everywhere for nearly 13 years, and it is an insult to me and every other law-abiding citizen when the people who are supposed to protect and serve are more of a threat and a pain in the ass than the criminals. Oh, and don't you ever tell me what to do and not to do around my kids. Also, if you are so worried about wasting time and resources responding to people like me, then train your dispatchers to weed us out from the criminal element and leave us law-abiding open carriers the hell alone and quit wasting your precious manpower. We aren't the problem, you and your asinine policies are. Fix the problem at the departmental level and quit blaming other people for your stupidity.

Kevin

Edited for two typos and one grammer mistake.

Rottie

imported post

Is it time for another visit to the city council? I think we should and hold our monthly OC dinner immediately following so that we have a good number of participants at the council meeting.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Rottie wrote:
Is it time for another visit to the city council? I think we should and hold our monthly OC dinner immediately following so that we have a good number of participants at the council meeting.

caverat

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Rottie wrote:
Sounds like a good idea to me. I composed a letter to Chief Thayle tonight and need to ship it off in the morning. I will be back at the same park next weekend for another round of tennis and a stint at the ice skating rink with my kids if anyone would like to join us. It will probably be in the afternoon around 2 or 3:00. Maybe WVC's finest will show up again and have a picnic with us. lol

Kevin
You know the rules!!! You say it you plan it:D I'll go out of my way to show up for this one sounds like fun:celebrate

Rottie

imported post

Kevin, I look forward to hearing the recording. I hope they were not too out of line. Does anybody know if anyone has shared with the department the federal court rulings like Matthew St John vs David Mcolley and others out of new mexico that outline that the mere posession of a firearm is not probable cause or even amount to reasonable suspicion absent any threatening behavior?

I am curious as to how long you were detained etc. Maybe worth a call to a lawyer. Then again with as vague as you were in the original post maybe you already have one :lol:.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

Ok, tell me if you think it is a good idea to host our next OC-BBQ in this park? I will put it together, how fun would it be to have a kicka$$ game of Kickball while OCing. How scary would that be? Just about scary as a guy walking toward you with an AR-15 what is up with that?

When is the last time you seen a Bad guy OCing in a holster playing with his kids in the park? I am thinkingwhere are things Cops from Southern California, New Jersey, New York, Chicago, I mean really? Don't Tread on me!

mqondo

imported post

There is a BBQ being put together on May 22nd over on UCC. There still hasn't been a time or place scheduled yet, but I just asked for more info so we can get it nailed down. So if you plan it, please be aware of this one so they don't get put on the same weekend so people can maybe make it to both. :D

rscottie

imported post

So, they took pictures of you and your carry rig? Sounds like they want their "mug shots" even when they cannot arrest you for anything. :banghead:

That IMHO is abuse of authority.

caverat

imported post

Wow this is sounding like they are trying to prove a some kinda point. Rather than just responding to a MWOG call??????
I would agree this place is in need of as large of OC gathering as we can possibly put together. Maybe we can get the whole West valley PD to show up in full riot gear :cuss:
I'm definitely up to attending this one this kind of crap can not be tolerated at all!!! :banghead: Oh maybe while we are at it dress in orange jump suits and do some street clean up with our guns on the outside of the jump suit:quirky If a statement is what they want a statement we should give!!

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Ok. I heard back from internal affairs this morning. They are conducting an investigation and will have the results by next week at the earliest. As promised, here is the link to the audio of the incident. It's only about 8 minutes long, so it's not a huge download. I dubbed this copy to remove my personal information to protect my identity from trolls and left wingers.

West Valley City Encounter #1

http://www.4shared.com/file/2PownlMV/WVCPD_Encounter1.html

Copy that into your browser. You will need winzip to unzip it. I want to wait a little longer to post the link to the letter I wrote to Chief Thayle because there is a possibility that he may contact me, and I would like to add commentary on what he has to say if anything.

Kevin

Edited to fix link to audio file

ichigo

imported post

My heart was pounding so hard when I heard you say "Its ok honey they're just doing their job." Hy heart was breaking. That is ridiculous. So frustrated.
You were way calm and handled it very well.
So frustrated. "Not that we would hurt any of your kids, but..." Prone them out on the ground" ???
So frustrated.
-banki-

Outdoorsman

imported post

Now that I've listened to the file, I have this to say... How dare you try to protect yourself and your kids! Those poor cops had to come all the way out there and stomp on your rights. Who do you think you are wasting the taxpayer's money like that? I sure am glad they gave you the tongue-lashing you deserved. No one needs a gun in a park! You shouldonly carry it elsewherebecause crime will never find you there! What were you thinking!:banghead:

Anyway, I hope you're able to educate that department on how law-abiding citizens should be treated. Don't give up the good fight.

Walther

imported post

Wow, after listening to the recording I don't know if it is just me or not, but toward the end itsounds like he is trying to intimidate you by threatening harm to your kids.:shock: