• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harassed At Centennial Park In West Valley

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Update...

IA says 3 weeks untill conclusion of the investigation. Report and recording sent to AG's office this morning... Contacting state bar association to attain legal council this week.

Something to chew on.... :)

Snip from a ruling in New Mexico District Court (page 12 -13)

Quote:

Relying on well-defined Supreme Court precedent, the Tenth Circuit and its sister courts
have consistently held that officers may not seize or search an individual without a specific,
legitimate reason. See Terry, 392 U.S. at 21; Fuerschbach,439 F.3d at 1204-6 (holding that a
seizure without a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity "would violate the most minimal
Fourth Amendment standard"); Jones v. Hunt, 410 F.3d at 1228 ("Where no legitimate basis
exists for detaining [an individual], a seizure is plainly unreasonable."); Duran, 904 F.2d at 1378
("If there is one irreducible minimum in our Fourth Amendment jurisprudence, it is that a police
officer may not detain an individual simply on the basis of suspicion in the air. No matter how
peculiar, abrasive, unruly or distasteful a person's conduct may be, it cannot justify a police stop
unless it suggests that some specific crime has been, or is about to be, committed or that there is
an imminent danger to persons or property
."); see also Lawrence Rosenthal, Second Amendment
Plumbing after Heller: Standards of Scrutiny, Incorporation, Well-Regulated Militias, and
Criminal Street Gangs, 41 Urb. Law. 1, 37 (2009) (“When applicable law does not ban carrying a
firearm, however, the Fourth Amendment does not permit a stop-and-frisk regardless of any
indication that a suspect is armed or potentially dangerous because there is no indication that the
suspect is violating the law
.”). For example, in Sorrel v. McGuigan, 38 Fed.Appx. 970, 973 (4th
Cir. 2002) (unpublished) the Fourth Circuit denied qualified immunity to an officer who seized
an individual for lawfully carrying weapon
. Noting that a state statute made the plaintiff's
Case 6:08-cv-00994-BB-LAM Document 48 Filed 09/08/2009 Page 12 of 16
concealed carrying of the weapon legal, the court found that, though "[q]ualified immunity
protects law enforcement officers from bad guesses in gray areas," the fact that the plaintiff's
actions were clearly permissible under the statute meant that the officer "was not in a gray area
."
Id. at 974.
The applicable law was equally clear in this case. Nothing in New Mexico law prohibited
Mr. St. John from openly carrying a firearm in the Theater. See N.M. Stat. § 30-7 et seq.
Because both New Mexico law and the Fourth Amendment prohibition on unjustified seizure
were clearly established, and a reasonable officer is presumed to know clearly established law,
see, e.g., Harlow, 457 U.S. at 818-9, qualified immunity does not protect Defendants.
Accordingly, Mr. St. John's motion for summary judgment is granted with regard to his Fourth
Amendment and New Mexico constitutional claims. Defendants' motion for summary judgment
is denied with regard to the same and with regard to qualified immunity.

End Quote:

Thought you might enjoy that little tidbit.

Kevin

rpyne

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Update...

IA says 3 weeks untill conclusion of the investigation. Report and recording sent to AG's office this morning... Contacting state bar association to attain legal council this week.

Something to chew on.... :)

Snip from a ruling in New Mexico District Court (page 12 -13)

Quote:

Relying on well-defined Supreme Court precedent, the Tenth Circuit and its sister courts
have consistently held that officers may not seize or search an individual without a specific,
legitimate reason. See Terry, 392 U.S. at 21; Fuerschbach,439 F.3d at 1204-6 (holding that a
seizure without a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity "would violate the most minimal
Fourth Amendment standard"); Jones v. Hunt, 410 F.3d at 1228 ("Where no legitimate basis
exists for detaining [an individual], a seizure is plainly unreasonable."); Duran, 904 F.2d at 1378
("If there is one irreducible minimum in our Fourth Amendment jurisprudence, it is that a police
officer may not detain an individual simply on the basis of suspicion in the air. No matter how
peculiar, abrasive, unruly or distasteful a person's conduct may be, it cannot justify a police stop
unless it suggests that some specific crime has been, or is about to be, committed or that there is
an imminent danger to persons or property
."); see also Lawrence Rosenthal, Second Amendment
Plumbing after Heller: Standards of Scrutiny, Incorporation, Well-Regulated Militias, and
Criminal Street Gangs, 41 Urb. Law. 1, 37 (2009) (“When applicable law does not ban carrying a
firearm, however, the Fourth Amendment does not permit a stop-and-frisk regardless of any
indication that a suspect is armed or potentially dangerous because there is no indication that the
suspect is violating the law
.”). For example, in Sorrel v. McGuigan, 38 Fed.Appx. 970, 973 (4th
Cir. 2002) (unpublished) the Fourth Circuit denied qualified immunity to an officer who seized
an individual for lawfully carrying weapon
. Noting that a state statute made the plaintiff's
Case 6:08-cv-00994-BB-LAM Document 48 Filed 09/08/2009 Page 12 of 16
concealed carrying of the weapon legal, the court found that, though "[q]ualified immunity
protects law enforcement officers from bad guesses in gray areas," the fact that the plaintiff's
actions were clearly permissible under the statute meant that the officer "was not in a gray area
."
Id. at 974.
The applicable law was equally clear in this case. Nothing in New Mexico law prohibited
Mr. St. John from openly carrying a firearm in the Theater. See N.M. Stat. § 30-7 et seq.
Because both New Mexico law and the Fourth Amendment prohibition on unjustified seizure
were clearly established, and a reasonable officer is presumed to know clearly established law,
see, e.g., Harlow, 457 U.S. at 818-9, qualified immunity does not protect Defendants.
Accordingly, Mr. St. John's motion for summary judgment is granted with regard to his Fourth
Amendment and New Mexico constitutional claims. Defendants' motion for summary judgment
is denied with regard to the same and with regard to qualified immunity.

End Quote:

Thought you might enjoy that little tidbit.

Kevin
Can you please provide a case reference. This is a valuable quote.

Rottie

imported post

Go get them Kevin. I'm sorry but it does not take three weeks to evaluate what happened even if legal clarification is sought by the city attorney. Again I was rooting for WVCPD to make it right but this kind of drag it out when clearly there is no grey area in unaceptable. Too bad.I love to support our LEO's when they act according to law.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Update...

AG's office says they don't have jurisdiction over this type of matter (good to know). They suggested contacting the mayor and obtaining legal representation, which I am already in the process of doing. I will send a letter to the mayor with a copy of the recording on Monday.

Kevin

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

flicker wrote:
Why does this always seem to end with money?
Such may not be one person's first choice, but when other avenues are exhausted, it WILL get their attention.

One of my goals in life is not to start any problems, but to be the one left standing when the dust settles. ymmv

Yata hey

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Kevin Jensen wrote:
Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but when we went to the City Council with TJ regarding his unlawful detainment, they stated that the proper channel to file the complaint was with the "Professional Standard Review Board".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1GlD1aOjE
Acutally, Internal affairs is the gateway for the professional standards review board. The form that Mark submitted contains information that the review board uses as part of their investigation. I didn't know that was how it worked until I started the process and had verbal communications with IA about what happened. The website design suggests that the complaint you file goes to the board immediately, but that isn't how it works. IA gets the initial complaint, then it is forwarded to the board if the complaint can be quantified.

For me, this isn't about money. I want the police to know their place and follow the law like everyone else is expected to. I'm tired of walking outside my door and being more afraid of the police than the criminals that I wear a gun to protect myself and my family from in the first place. When a bad guy sees somebody carrying a gun in a holster, they avoid you. When an OEO sees someone wearing a sidearm, they approach you, detain you, ask you for ID, harass you, shove opinion down your throat and threaten your children. That's royally jacked up, and I intend to do everything in my power to fix it. I am absolutely furious about this.

Kevin

4sooth

imported post

Harlow v Fitzgerald 457 U.S. 800 (1982)--This is the case law which decided ALL public officials are personally responsible for knowing the law governing their actions. Given this the officers involved are supposed to be aware of established law concerning the open carrying of firearms in Utah. They can not claim ignorance.

younggun20

imported post

Hey LovesHisXD45 sorry to hear about all that has happened, hope all ends well. If there is anything I can do help feel free to PM. Also maybe a OC/CC meet up at the park with a little more notice would be a good idea

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
Kevin Jensen wrote:
Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but when we went to the City Council with TJ regarding his unlawful detainment, they stated that the proper channel to file the complaint was with the "Professional Standard Review Board".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1GlD1aOjE
Acutally, Internal affairs is the gateway for the professional standards review board. The form that Mark submitted contains information that the review board uses as part of their investigation. I didn't know that was how it worked until I started the process and had verbal communications with IA about what happened. The website design suggests that the complaint you file goes to the board immediately, but that isn't how it works. IA gets the initial complaint, then it is forwarded to the board if the complaint can be quantified.

For me, this isn't about money. I want the police to know their place and follow the law like everyone else is expected to. I'm tired of walking outside my door and being more afraid of the police than the criminals that I wear a gun to protect myself and my family from in the first place. When a bad guy sees somebody carrying a gun in a holster, they avoid you. When an OEO sees someone wearing a sidearm, they approach you, detain you, ask you for ID, harass you, shove opinion down your throat and threaten your children. That's royally jacked up, and I intend to do everything in my power to fix it. I am absolutely furious about this.

Kevin
OEO, I like that. with the exception of the few Peace Officers who work for the right reasons and try to do their best to uphold their Oath of office despite some procedures of Dept Policy being in-congruent with the Constitution, I think of most of the Police "policy enforcement officers"as "REO's (Revenue Enforcement Officers) think about that, they mostly enforce policy for revenue purposes not safety and the Rule of Law (constitution) also follow the money trail leading to a big pile of ill-gotten gains from the people through "unconstitutional "Civil Asset Forfeiture Laws" unlike criminal asset forfeiture laws where they can seize your property even though you committed no crime! It's about the money mostly and it will get worse as the economy does with rights violations and ill gotten monetary gains and govt sponsored theft of property! REMEMBER, without property RIGHTS you have no FREEDOM. In the orig draft to the Declaration of Independence it said "...In the pursuit of Life, Liberty and PROPERTY... our public servant employees need to be reminded by us sovereign masters that THOU SHALT NOT STEAL:cuss:

LovesHisXD45

imported post

rpyne wrote:
This is a snip from the info on the page of the top link that I found useful and may also apply in this case. It is another avenue with the DOJ that I will actively pursue because the circumstances surrounding the rhetoric caught on the audio, and TJ's incident, clearly shows a pattern of abuse and misguided policies and clear future intent toward law-abiding citizens choosing to carry their arms in the open. Remember, he said, "It's going to be the same response every time".

Snip...

[size="+2"]Federal Civil Enforcement[/size]
[size="+1"]"Police Misconduct Provision"[/size]
[size="+0"]This law makes it unlawful for State or local law enforcement officers to engage in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives persons of rights protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States. (42 U.S.C. § 14141). The types of conduct covered by this law can include, among other things, excessive force, discriminatory harassment, false arrests, coercive sexual conduct, and unlawful stops, searches or arrests. In order to be covered by this law, the misconduct must constitute a "pattern or practice" -- it may not simply be an isolated incident. The DOJ must be able to show in court that the agency has an unlawful policy or that the incidents constituted a pattern of unlawful conduct. However, unlike the other civil laws discussed below, DOJ does not have to show that discrimination has occurred in order to prove a pattern or practice of misconduct.[/size]
[size="+0"]What remedies are available under this law?[/size]
[size="+0"]The remedies available under this law do not provide for individual monetary relief for the victims of the misconduct. Rather, they provide for injunctive relief, such as orders to end the misconduct and changes in the agency's policies and procedures that resulted in or allowed the misconduct. There is no private right of action under this law; only DOJ may file suit for violations of the Police Misconduct Provision.[/size]

End Snip...

It's worth writing a letter with a CD containing the audio for them to analyze at the very least. We'll see what their investigation turns up too if and when it takes place.

Kevin

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Update...

WVC PD "troops" to receive training on open carry laws. Professional Standards Review Board to conclude investigation and release results and corrective action some time in the early part of June. I'm continuing to scour for a good lawyer to see what my options are irregardless of the outcome of the investigation. The case number for the incident is 10I015647.

I will keep you posted.

Kevin