• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hartford-Courant - Courts and law enforcement say open carry legal in Connecticut

Bullbuster

imported post

gluegun wrote:
The actual newspaper included a map summarizing the open carry status of the 50 states.

The map shows:
- Texas, Florida, and Illinois as "no open carry" states.
- NY, CT, MA, SC, TN, VA, MN, IO, IN, and HI as "permit required" open carry states
- All other states were no permit required open carry states.

It's unfortunate that this map was not included in the online version of the article.
As mentioned before this map is FUBAR. Oklahoma does not allow OC at all. The maps on the OCDO home page say it all for those that DON'T know what states allow what.

dcmdon

imported post

Yeah, except, lets be realistic. Its a meaningless number. Although its nice to know that the ignorant will at least see that stat.

Tebin

imported post

Old Saybrook huh? My hometown. I gotta tell ya, it was such a pain in the ass to get a permit in CT that I never got one. I took a course and got fingerprinted and then lost the application. I now live in VT, what a difference. Just about everyone here has a gun and people are much more mature about it. The tourists can sometimes get antsy about open carry but most people look just because they are interested in what you are carrying - you know "How do you like that Glock?" Open carrying actually opens pleasant conversations.

cbnlnk121

imported post

dcmdon wrote:
In CT, you can't be impaired and carry. I believe the standard is the same as for driving, 0.08%

There was some effort to reduce it to 0.04%, I don't know what happened to that law. I'd be good with that.

I personally don't drink when I carry, although I may have a sip of my wife's wine.

As far as I was aware the last place I read was that DUI/DWI limit was 0.08%

Armed (not driving) was 0.10%

Personally, I still think it's ok to have a drink or 2 with dinner and be armed.

dcmdon

imported post

cbnlnk121 wrote:
As far as I was aware the last place I read was that DUI/DWI limit was 0.08%

Armed (not driving) was 0.10%

Personally, I still think it's ok to have a drink or 2 with dinner and be armed.

You are right. There revision to the law to lower it to .08% was included in with some bad gun legislation that was killed. I'd have supported the lower BAC if it was stand-alone.

I won't drink and carry, not even one. By choosing to carry a gun you are putting yourself into a situation where you may have to take a life. I'd prefer to be 100% sober if that happens. I don't know about you, but I feel something after one mixed drink. If I have 2 at a normal rate, I am buzzed.

Don