Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Any Advise?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    354

    Post imported post

    Never hurts to ask...

  2. #2
    Regular Member Scooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dundee, Michigan
    Posts
    283

    Post imported post

    My advice to anyone new is : Know the law absolutely so that you are completely confident if you ever have any kind of interaction when you OC. If you KNOW thatwhat you are doing is legal you will be confident and others will see that.Plus you will have the right response to questions about OC. I started OCing in my neighborhood to get used to it before I had my CPL. By the time I did get my CPL I was comfortable and ready to OC everywhere. A little nervous the first time out but it's no big deal now. You could also look into a casual meet-up with someone in your area who has been OCing for awhile...

  3. #3
    Regular Member MarineSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allendale, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    195

    Post imported post

    This is pretty much common sense, but...

    Know which condition your weapon is in before you leave the house (Condition 1, Condition 3).
    Don't pull your gun out to play with it or show it to anyone.
    Make sure you have the legal right to be where you are.
    The owner's private property rights trump your firearm rights. If you don't leave when asked you can be charged with trespassing.
    A running voice recorder is a good idea.
    Guns and alcohol don't mix well.
    Do try to present a positive image of OCers by keeping some sort of grooming standards and wearing clean clothes.
    Be polite. Even with police.

    Like I said, I think these are kind of common sense but it doesn't hurt to say them again. Of course this list is my opinions. YMMV

    Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Scooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dundee, Michigan
    Posts
    283

    Post imported post

    +1

  5. #5
    Regular Member MarineSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allendale, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    195

    Post imported post

    I wanted to add: Always carry a tri-fold or two! The last time I didn't I had an opportunity to give one away to someone who was interested in OC. Instead I have to hope that they remember the website.
    Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kent Co, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    398

    Post imported post

    22-250 wrote:
    Never hurts to ask...
    Start at an OC get together.

    The rest of the advice (not advise, sorry...pet peeve of mine) you have been given is solid.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Lake, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    65

    Post imported post

    I would also add that you need to look like you belong there. People may be looking, but you need to be able to know your surroundings (situational awareness) with you whipping your head back and forth like you are casing the place. If you spend a lot of time looking back and forth then you may make someone think you are planning something.
    Just go where you need to go and act like you belong.




  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948

    Post imported post

    Go to places that are OC freindly at first.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    DON'T DO IT!! You'd be giving up your element of surprise and you'll be shot first. You will cause a riot as soccer moms run panic stricken through the streets. The cops'll cuff and stuff you and you'll be arrested for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

    Don't even think of trying it around my town.

    :P

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, ,
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    Bronson wrote:
    DON'T DO IT!! You'd be giving up your element of surprise and you'll be shot first. You will cause a riot as soccer moms run panic stricken through the streets. The cops'll cuff and stuff you and you'll be arrested for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

    Don't even think of trying it around my town.

    :P

    Bronson
    dont forget somebody might scream LOOK HE HAS A GUN GET DOWN!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948

    Post imported post

    Ive seriously had 2 occasions people said "Dont shoot", and put their hands up. The first time the guy was playing, but I think the second was serious until I chuckled, and walked away from him. still makes me laugh.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, ,
    Posts
    92

    Post imported post

    stainless1911 wrote:
    Ive seriously had 2 occasions people said "Dont shoot", and put their hands up. The first time the guy was playing, but I think the second was serious until I chuckled, and walked away from him. still makes me laugh.
    i wonder if the latter has been awarded a darwin award yet, oh wait those are given postumuosly arent they

  13. #13
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Scooter wrote:
    SNIP:Know the law absolutely..
    Best advise for sure.
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

  14. #14
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    Advice, sorry, had to.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Macomb County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Bronson wrote:
    DON'T DO IT!!* You'd be giving up your element of surprise and you'll be shot first.* You will cause a riot as soccer moms run panic stricken through the streets.* The cops'll cuff and stuff you and you'll be arrested for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

    Don't even think of trying it around my town.

    :P

    Bronson
    Dont make us have to march out there again. Though it was quite fun. Would like to visit the Southside Sportsmans Club Again.

  16. #16
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    mikestilly wrote:
    Bronson wrote:
    DON'T DO IT!! You'd be giving up your element of surprise and you'll be shot first. You will cause a riot as soccer moms run panic stricken through the streets. The cops'll cuff and stuff you and you'll be arrested for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

    Don't even think of trying it around my town.

    :P

    Bronson
    Dont make us have to march out there again. Though it was quite fun. Would like to visit the Southside Sportsmans Club Again.
    Yeah Southside is a class act!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    Ok I was thinking of trying this sort of thing. Is there anyone that is going to be doing a meet in Battle Creek? If so I would like to try and join.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    lawhejr wrote:
    Ok I was thinking of trying this sort of thing. Is there anyone that is going to be doing a meet in Battle Creek? If so I would like to try and join.
    There's no meet planned right now but starting one is easy. Just pick a place and a time and say "Hey, let's get together for lunch/dinner/shooting/picinc/whatever and people will show up.

    I live in B.C. and usually have Tue-Thu off if you want to meet somewhere for lunch or something.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    Read as much as you can on this site.

    Bad information and my own procrastination has created the will for me to OC (altho i havent't yet.)
    my CPL expired april 22
    I renewed in oakland county april 21.
    (instructor said the renewal fee receipt was all i needed to continue to carry)
    Lady at counter said i couldn't carry for 60 days or till the license comes in.
    now i'm without cpl for 60 days!!!! It's been 2 days and i'm just not comfortable without it
    (having concealed carried it 99% of the time over the last 5 years).
    That mistake wouldn't have been made if i had read more on here.
    I would have also learned i didn't need to take the renewal class that gave the incorrect advice.
    Renew at least 60 days before the expire date it's not like a drivers license.

    thanks for this site!!!!

  20. #20
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Lawhejr and Russo121, welcome to OCDO!
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  21. #21
    Regular Member lil_freak_66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mason, Michigan
    Posts
    1,811

    Post imported post

    russo121 wrote:
    Read as much as you can on this site.

    Bad information and my own procrastination has created the will for me to OC (altho i havent't yet.)
    my CPL expired april 22
    I renewed in oakland county april 21.
    (instructor said the renewal fee receipt was all i needed to continue to carry)
    Lady at counter said i couldn't carry for 60 days or till the license comes in.
    now i'm without cpl for 60 days!!!! It's been 2 days and i'm just not comfortable without it
    (having concealed carried it 99% of the time over the last 5 years).
    That mistake wouldn't have been made if i had read more on here.
    I would have also learned i didn't need to take the renewal class that gave the incorrect advice.
    Renew at least 60 days before the expire date it's not like a drivers license.

    thanks for this site!!!!

    Welcome to OCDO

    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.


  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948

    Post imported post

    Welcome

    I sincerely hope that you lose the taste for CC, as you learn about OC. Be very careful of your old habbits, ie. sitting down in your own car could get you a felony!

    Go to the top of the michigan forums, and check the stickies. You may want to print the "carry chart".

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    the municode site linked from the open carry reference chart topic led me to my city code stating

    Sec. 9.322. Transportation and possession.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle a firearm unless the same be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless unloaded and enclosed in a case.

    no one that I've talked to believes it's smart to OC in southfield or detroit.
    yet reading the growing number of positive oc'ers in southern oakland county is cause to reconsider.

  24. #24
    Regular Member kyleplusitunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lennon Michigan, ,
    Posts
    533

    Post imported post

    russo121 wrote:
    the municode site linked from the open carry reference chart topic led me to my city code stating

    Sec. 9.322. Transportation and possession.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle a firearm unless the same be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless unloaded and enclosed in a case.

    no one that I've talked to believes it's smart to OC in southfield or detroit.
    yet reading the growing number of positive oc'ers in southern oakland county is cause to reconsider.
    michigan has a pre-emption law that makes local firearm ordinances unenforceable, email your city council to have it removed from the books

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948

    Post imported post

    If you carry the gun enclosed in a case, wouldnt you be concealing it?! Without a CPL, your ordinance seems to be ordering you to commit a felony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •