• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Advise?

Scooter

imported post

My advice to anyone new is : Know the law absolutely so that you are completely confident if you ever have any kind of interaction when you OC. If you KNOW thatwhat you are doing is legal you will be confident and others will see that.Plus you will have the right response to questions about OC. I started OCing in my neighborhood to get used to it before I had my CPL. By the time I did get my CPL I was comfortable and ready to OC everywhere. A little nervous the first time out but it's no big deal now. You could also look into a casual meet-up with someone in your area who has been OCing for awhile...

MarineSgt

imported post

This is pretty much common sense, but...

Know which condition your weapon is in before you leave the house (Condition 1, Condition 3).
Don't pull your gun out to play with it or show it to anyone.
Make sure you have the legal right to be where you are.
The owner's private property rights trump your firearm rights. If you don't leave when asked you can be charged with trespassing.
A running voice recorder is a good idea.
Guns and alcohol don't mix well.
Do try to present a positive image of OCers by keeping some sort of grooming standards and wearing clean clothes.
Be polite. Even with police.

Like I said, I think these are kind of common sense but it doesn't hurt to say them again. Of course this list is my opinions. YMMV

MarineSgt

imported post

I wanted to add: Always carry a tri-fold or two! The last time I didn't I had an opportunity to give one away to someone who was interested in OC. Instead I have to hope that they remember the website.

coderdude

imported post

I would also add that you need to look like you belong there. People may be looking, but you need to be able to know your surroundings (situational awareness) with you whipping your head back and forth like you are casing the place. If you spend a lot of time looking back and forth then you may make someone think you are planning something.
Just go where you need to go and act like you belong.

Bronson

imported post

DON'T DO IT!! You'd be giving up your element of surprise and you'll be shot first. You will cause a riot as soccer moms run panic stricken through the streets. The cops'll cuff and stuff you and you'll be arrested for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

Don't even think of trying it around my town.

:p;)

Bronson

Zukirider

imported post

Bronson wrote:
DON'T DO IT!! You'd be giving up your element of surprise and you'll be shot first. You will cause a riot as soccer moms run panic stricken through the streets. The cops'll cuff and stuff you and you'll be arrested for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

Bronson
dont forget somebody might scream LOOK HE HAS A GUN GET DOWN!!!!!!!

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Ive seriously had 2 occasions people said "Dont shoot", and put their hands up. The first time the guy was playing, but I think the second was serious until I chuckled, and walked away from him. still makes me laugh.

Zukirider

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Ive seriously had 2 occasions people said "Dont shoot", and put their hands up. The first time the guy was playing, but I think the second was serious until I chuckled, and walked away from him. still makes me laugh.
i wonder if the latter has been awarded a darwin award yet, oh wait those are given postumuosly arent they:banghead:

mikestilly

imported post

Bronson wrote:
DON'T DO IT!!  You'd be giving up your element of surprise and you'll be shot first.  You will cause a riot as soccer moms run panic stricken through the streets.  The cops'll cuff and stuff you and you'll be arrested for brandishing or disturbing the peace.

Bronson

Dont make us have to march out there again. Though it was quite fun. Would like to visit the Southside Sportsmans Club Again.

autosurgeon

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Bronson wrote:

Bronson

Dont make us have to march out there again. Though it was quite fun. Would like to visit the Southside Sportsmans Club Again.
Yeah Southside is a class act!

Bronson

imported post

lawhejr wrote:
Ok I was thinking of trying this sort of thing. Is there anyone that is going to be doing a meet in Battle Creek? If so I would like to try and join.

There's no meet planned right now but starting one is easy. Just pick a place and a time and say "Hey, let's get together for lunch/dinner/shooting/picinc/whatever and people will show up.

I live in B.C. and usually have Tue-Thu off if you want to meet somewhere for lunch or something.

Bronson

russo121

imported post

Read as much as you can on this site.

Bad information and my own procrastination has created the will for me to OC (altho i havent't yet.)
my CPL expired april 22
I renewed in oakland county april 21.
(instructor said the renewal fee receipt was all i needed to continue to carry)
Lady at counter said i couldn't carry for 60 days or till the license comes in.
now i'm without cpl for 60 days!!!! It's been 2 days and i'm just not comfortable without it
(having concealed carried it 99% of the time over the last 5 years).
That mistake wouldn't have been made if i had read more on here.
I would have also learned i didn't need to take the renewal class that gave the incorrect advice.
Renew at least 60 days before the expire date it's not like a drivers license.

thanks for this site!!!!