• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Advise?

lil_freak_66

imported post

russo121 wrote:
Read as much as you can on this site.

Bad information and my own procrastination has created the will for me to OC (altho i havent't yet.)
my CPL expired april 22
I renewed in oakland county april 21.
(instructor said the renewal fee receipt was all i needed to continue to carry)
Lady at counter said i couldn't carry for 60 days or till the license comes in.
now i'm without cpl for 60 days!!!! It's been 2 days and i'm just not comfortable without it
(having concealed carried it 99% of the time over the last 5 years).
That mistake wouldn't have been made if i had read more on here.
I would have also learned i didn't need to take the renewal class that gave the incorrect advice.
Renew at least 60 days before the expire date it's not like a drivers license.

thanks for this site!!!!

Welcome to OCDO

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Welcome:D

I sincerely hope that you lose the taste for CC, as you learn about OC. Be very careful of your old habbits, ie. sitting down in your own car could get you a felony!

Go to the top of the michigan forums, and check the stickies. You may want to print the "carry chart".

russo121

imported post

the municode site linked from the open carry reference chart topic led me to my city code stating

Sec. 9.322. Transportation and possession.
It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle a firearm unless the same be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless unloaded and enclosed in a case.

no one that I've talked to believes it's smart to OC in southfield or detroit.
yet reading the growing number of positive oc'ers in southern oakland county is cause to reconsider.

kyleplusitunes

imported post

russo121 wrote:
the municode site linked from the open carry reference chart topic led me to my city code stating

Sec. 9.322. Transportation and possession.
It shall be unlawful for any person to transport or to have in possession in or upon any vehicle a firearm unless the same be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and carried in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. It shall be unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless unloaded and enclosed in a case.

no one that I've talked to believes it's smart to OC in southfield or detroit.
yet reading the growing number of positive oc'ers in southern oakland county is cause to reconsider.

michigan has a pre-emption law that makes local firearm ordinances unenforceable, email your city council to have it removed from the books

russo121

imported post

to unload the magazine EVERY time i put it in the car and then reload when i exit the car seems as that would be a daunting task. even to open carry loading and unloading ....to the party store, gas station , grocery store, the amount i'm in and out of the car makes me miss my CLP all the more. this is a mistake not to be made again. i suppose if i had a CLIP it would be different!! :)