• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Process Serving

Savage.Detroit

imported post

A friend of the family has asked me to serve divorce papers and a PPO to her abusive husband.
I think I would take a special joy in doing so but haven't answered yet.

I expect that most professional process servers carry.
Any issues or comments to share about OCing while doing this?

lil_freak_66

imported post

id say you should carry if you do it,if the husband is known to be abusive against his wife,he could potentially attempt to be just as physical with you when you serve papers.

use a voice recorder to record the entire thing,he could try and say you assaulted him or pulled a firearm on him,or he could get violent with you and you would want evidence that you didnt do anything,or did what you did for a justifiable reason.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
A friend of the family has asked me to serve divorce papers and a PPO to her abusive husband.
I think I would take a special joy in doing so but haven't answered yet.

A thought for your consideration Sir . Please take it as food for thought and not implying anything:

If you have a direct connection to the friend of the family and/or an emotional interest it would be wise to allow a professional process server to take care of it...

Simply because if you do it and things go South any connection with you and the family friend could easily factor into an escalation ... and will certainly muddy the waters if all that turns out bad.

The amount of money spent on a professional server would be far less than the potential amount of money, hassle, and legal problems if you do it.

OPS MARINE

imported post

I have to say that I tend to agree with Bikenut, BUT...I say go ahead and do it, just push the other factors aside. Probably easier said than done, soooo.

*Thinking and looking at the screen*

Here, look at this...you know both parties. At one time, I'm sure you would have done what you could to help either one of them out of a jam. Help her by providing for or augmenting her financial resources to GET A PROFESSIONAL SERVER to serve him.

I am not a lawyer, but I really think it would help to get an impartial party to do this.

You may do what you wish with my opinion.

Savage.Detroit

imported post

Most woman abusers are too p«$$y to do the same to a man but as I am playing this out in my head I am enjoying it way too much :monkey. It needs to be done professionally so I will let someone else do it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
I think I would take a special joy in doing so ...
Bad sign.

Even without a gun in the mix, it's a bad sign....

Savage.Detroit wrote:
Brush up on the principles involved inHankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[suP]©[/suP] which is, for anyone who has forgotten:

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person.

HPCSD[suP]©[/suP]has been found to always apply. HPCSD[suP]©[/suP]is your friend.

G

imported post

HankT wrote:
Savage.Detroit wrote:
Bad sign.

Savage.Detroit wrote:
Brush up on the principles involved inHankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[sup]©[/sup] which is, for anyone who has forgotten:

HPCSD[sup]©[/sup]has been found to always apply. HPCSD[sup]©[/sup]is your friend.
I thought I read in a thread a little while back that your hpcsd was to run away.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
id say you should carry if you do it,if the husband is known to be abusive against his wife,he could potentially attempt to be just as physical with you when you serve papers.

use a voice recorder to record the entire thing,he could try and say you assaulted him or pulled a firearm on him,or he could get violent with you and you would want evidence that you didnt do anything,or did what you did for a justifiable reason.
ignore this post
bad advice
keep yourself out

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:

I thought I read in a thread a little while back that your hpcsd was to run away.

It's stated in the post above, CV. Read it and discuss. And it's HPCSD[suP]©[/suP], btw.

What do you think of Savage.Detroit's notion to serve the papers while OCing, CV? What're your thoughts about that?

G

imported post

HankT wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

It's stated in the post above, CV. Read it and discuss. And it's HPCSD[sup]©[/sup], btw.

What do you think of Savage.Detroit's notion to serve the papers while OCing, CV? What're your thoughts about that?
I'm more curious as to where you read that he wanted to shoot unarmed persons.
What does that have to do with his question.

Since your off topic remark was worth posting, I figured it was worth responding to.

As as I stated, I read your hpcsd stated in another thread as being "run away".

B

Bikenut

imported post

HankT wrote:
Savage.Detroit wrote:
Bad sign.

Savage.Detroit wrote:
Brush up on the principles involved inHankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense[sup]©[/sup] which is, for anyone who has forgotten:

HPCSD[sup]©[/sup]has been found to always apply. HPCSD[sup]©[/sup]is your friend.
Double-facepalm.jpg

Hank... please don't start this foolishness again. It has been pointed out ad naseum that there is no such thing as an "unarmed person". All persons are "armed" with the weapons their bodies possess at the moment of birth.

B

Bikenut

imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:
alright....how the hell do you get pictures to show up in the threads?
Ya gotta click on "Da thing"...

cross thread reference.....

malignity

imported post

I would ALSO call the local police department ahead of time, let them know of the situation, and maybe even ask them to accompany you. If they are in fact on board with OC, and genuinely do care for the protection of people (which believe it or not, there are many that are) they should send an officer out to assist you, therefore if he gets belligerent, they can just arrest him on the spot.

A similar situation just happened at my fiance's work, apparently the process papers were delivered with the presence of 6 officers, the man being served pushed an officer and the gentleman serving the papers, and got to cool himself off in the county slammer.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
HankT wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:

It's stated in the post above, CV. Read it and discuss. And it's HPCSD[suP]©[/suP], btw.

I'm more curious as to where you read that he wanted to shoot unarmed persons.
What does that have to do with his question.

Huh?

That doesn't even make sense. Read, actually read, the prior post (and HPCSD[suP]©[/suP]) and get back to us.