• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry ammo limit

Nevada carrier

imported post

if a defensive shooting goes into the second mag....ya probably bit off more than you can chew.

No, someone else bit off more than they could chew. Carry as many rounds as practically possible without looking like you are going to start a war.

I usually say a full load in the firearm ready at all times, and 2 spare mags. Always top off!

Nevada carrier

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Pistol loaded with JHP,  (15+1)
second mag 1 jacket, 2 HP round pattern (scare out and pop off load)
third mag 2 jacket, 1 HP round pattern,  (car windshield load)

forth mag all Jacketed rounds hot loads.  (SHTF WTFGO KMAGB load)
OR
BUG 2HP, J, 3HP, + 1 speed loader all HP for retreating very fast only.:cool:

Never know what sort of ammo you need in a gun fight.
And if you make it to 4th mag, you are in need of penetration.
Of course which mag to reload depends on what is going on.
Either way if you use up mag 1, you are needing something else,
or you have one big angry mob on your tail.
5th mag would be my AP, and non expanding brass rounds if it were legal....:what::cuss:

Hopefully going to a 4 mag 20+1 round this year, then I need to rethink load types
all over again. Probably 2 mags JHP, and 2 mags 2HP,1 Jacket, 2HP pattern.

For me I want enough on me to get to my nearest stash. 
The farther you are removed from resupply the more you carry.
7 min miles + 20 sec between rounds = 21 rounds for 3 miles.

Besides there is nothing more priceless than burying the cops car hood under
a boatload of ammo when you just keep pulling out more of it from all over your body.
Wait, wait, I got more here. :uhoh: 

You've put far too much thought into that. Then again I can tell by your screen name that your probably obsessive to a certain extent. The funny thing is, now you have me thinking about using different types of ammo as well. :)

Vegassteve

imported post

Then you just have to hope when the SHTF that you have the correct mag. Why not just carry some mags and alternate HP and JHP? Rather than try and think out all sorts of crazy stuff that could happen.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

.45acp wrote:
I carry 2 spare mags and 9 in the gun for 8+8+9 (1911) for a total of 25. But, if a defensive shooting goes into the second mag....ya probably bit off more than you can chew.

Steve
If it's a DEFENSE shooting, YOU aren't the one doing the biting!

Nobody ever died from having one too many rounds at the beginning of a gunfight.

LvstudentDoc

imported post

they real question is HOW MANY guns can you open carry! Haha I wanna go Patton Style 2 on the Hip maybe a small of the back 1911, and a drop leg tactical holster with a 45. Humm and extra mags for all, nope not overkill just begging for back pain so i can be a degenerate get workers comp. and mag off the government for 90 weeks.

Nevada carrier

imported post

For my Taurus I carry 16 JHP in the gun, and two spare mags. my second mag is also JHP, my third mag is all FMJ because if I'm loading up my third mag I'm so phucked that over penetration is the least of my problems.

16+15+15

For my Kahr CW40 I carry 7+6, all JHP. I would get a third mag for it if I ever decide to OC with it again... I'm only hanging onto it for when i get my CCW and to have in a strategic location if my home is ever invaded and I cant get to my Taurus.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

DVC wrote:
Open carry ammo limit?

Well, I suppose crossed bandoliers of 75mm artillery rounds would be a bit excessive . . .
Not it you have a G-20 summit withing 20 miles. Then you are woefully unprepared and better think 4 and a gas mask, night vision and ar15's pistol and long gun.
Problem....
1 smoke, but do you have 2 willie P and 1 HE or the reverse?

Judge.410

imported post

Two extra mags of 8 ea.....8 rd. mag in the gun. 1 in the tube.... 5 shot .357 back-up with 1 speed loader of 5

XD_Dude

imported post

Seems to me any amount. But if I can't hit the subject by the third shot, I'm in trouble! If I'm still around, it's Shooting Park time, with my boss.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

XD_Dude wrote:
Seems to me any amount. But if I can't hit the subject by the third shot, I'm in trouble! If I'm still around, it's Shooting Park time, with my boss.
Well no wonder you miss the first 3 shots. One should never practice with
the boss, you get used to throwing the shots so he looks good. Very bad for
self defense.
Better to put bullet through same hole and claim the other shots missed.:lol:

But lets face facts, suppressive fire to aid withdrawal uses lots more ammo
than being dug in and waiting for the charge. It would be nice if the government
would put out attack warnings like they do rain forcasts so we would know how
much to carry on a given day. Till then carry everything you think you will need
so you can "Go home to my family", we don't have a response team only a radio
call away. Odds are if you are shooting the 'help' will stay back till it gets quite
and the smoke clears.
You can't stop a mob with a zip gun.:idea: So far I haven't been trapped between
two mobs, but I want enough to punch a hole to get out if it happens.

If they pass a law that only one attacker per mugging, or assault then I would
gladly loose the extra mags, as they wouldn't be needed. :banghead::banghead:
Less equipment to clean after it rains, less wear on the seat covers, but
I would hate not covering the squad car hood when requested to empty pockets.

doninvegas

imported post

"I would hate not covering the squad car hood when requested to empty pockets."

Cute story....i was OC,ing and got pulled over by a traffic cop..
He collected my DL and reg and ins...he went to his car to call it in...2 minutes, he came back with his hand on his gun and ask if i was carrying a weapon??? I turned in the seat and showed him my 1911 on my right side in a IWB holster, and said i sure am why????
this idiot starts to tell me it is illegal to carry on a motorcycle in Clark county...as he tugged and pulled on my 1911...wait i said you are going to shoot me with my own gun....i ask why are you taking my gun????? he said he had to check the Sear#...he ask me to empty my pockets....i said i had more guns in my pocket...he then cuffed me.....and called for back up...he emptied my pockets, finding my darrenger, and my sig 232...i was just coming home from shooting...he then tried to tell me i could only carry one gun after collecting my CCW permit...
I ask him if i could go as i dident do anything wrong...he ASK ME IF I WAS A LAWYER....
I replied....no I am not, but now i want one..... so arrest me if you think you need to and let me call my lawyer...
The other cop, his back up walked over to me and put my guns and mags in my saddle bag and told me to be on my way....he did say he was sorry for the bs....new guy on the job...lol

all is well

LV XD9

imported post

doninvegas wrote:
"I would hate not covering the squad car hood when requested to empty pockets."

Cute story....i was OC,ing and got pulled over by a traffic cop..
He collected my DL and reg and ins...he went to his car to call it in...2 minutes, he came back with his hand on his gun and ask if i was carrying a weapon??? I turned in the seat and showed him my 1911 on my right side in a IWB holster, and said i sure am why????
this idiot starts to tell me it is illegal to carry on a motorcycle in Clark county...as he tugged and pulled on my 1911...wait i said you are going to shoot me with my own gun....i ask why are you taking my gun????? he said he had to check the Sear#...he ask me to empty my pockets....i said i had more guns in my pocket...he then cuffed me.....and called for back up...he emptied my pockets, finding my darrenger, and my sig 232...i was just coming home from shooting...he then tried to tell me i could only carry one gun after collecting my CCW permit...
I ask him if i could go as i dident do anything wrong...he ASK ME IF I WAS A LAWYER....
I replied....no I am not, but now i want one..... so arrest me if you think you need to and let me call my lawyer...
The other cop, his back up walked over to me and put my guns and mags in my saddle bag and told me to be on my way....he did say he was sorry for the bs....new guy on the job...lol

all is well
Damn. Was this a while ago or recently? Was this in Henderson?

BionicJumpy

imported post

Is calendar still works? I can't access it... please let me know about the upcoming event for OC. Thanks GoDSpeeD wrote:
Well as a heads up I have made a event calendar at
nv.opencarry.org@gmail.com

If you search for the calendar thread you will see the address. You can add that calendar to get events scheduled. I look forward to meeting you at one of the events.

GoDSpeeD

Sabotage70

imported post

BionicJumpy wrote:
Is  calendar still works? I can't access it... please let me know about the upcoming event for OC. Thanks       GoDSpeeD wrote:
Well as a heads up I have made a event calendar at
nv.opencarry.org@gmail.com

If you search for the calendar thread you will see the address. You can add that calendar to get events scheduled. I look forward to meeting you at one of the events.

GoDSpeeD

GodSpeed has quit. He is no longer doing the calender or partaking in any of the meet ups.

But there are some of us that are meeting at the county gun range to do some shooting then have lunch at Magoo's on Cheyenne and Decatur.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/45631.html