Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Legal for the olderst to carry pepperspray

  1. #1
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    I am curious about this and have found nothing on the books about it. Is it legal for my 12 year old to carry pepperspray?

    I bought pepperspray for my twelve year old for when her and the eleven year old walk to the grocery store just up the road here. The walk to the store is a block and a half (the grocer is in the neighborhood) but that is just far enough though. I instructed both of them when and how to use the pepperspray and what to do if/when the police arrive and we are not around...i.e. "call my mom."

    I decided to let her carry it when they go to the mall or the grocery store after much debate. Both children are extremely responsible and that is not to say that they will never make mistakes but I believe the likelihood that they use the pepperspray in an inappropriate manner is much less likely than if they were to use it for its intended purpose.

    Hopefully I am not incriminating myself right this moment

    LOL, I just ansered my own question:




    [/b](1) It is unlawful for a person under eighteen years old, unless the person is at least fourteen years old and has the permission of a parent or guardian to do so, to purchase or possess a personal protection spray device. A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.


    --Now the question iswhat to do about what I have found. Sinceif the child is under 14 they are not at risk of being attacked or obducted?I wonder why they chose 14--probably threw a dart at a dart board and wrote it into the law



    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  2. #2
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    Of course, can't change the typo in the subject...OLDEST
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    I have seen one of your kids open carry at Dixies's BBQ.
    That is a better deterrent than pepper spray.
    Just make sure your kids don't have that PS in school.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    phone guy wrote:
    I have seen one of your kids open carry at Dixies's BBQ.
    That is a better deterrent than pepper spray.
    Just make sure your kids don't have that PS in school.
    I am sure there are people that hover over this chatroom to see what we gun-toters chat about and they are probably crapping themselves right now thinking that you are saying that my kids carry handguns

    They are not allowed to carry it at school. There they have been taught to either find an instructor if there is trouble, if that fails or they do not have the chance to I have taught them to fight. Rule number 1) you are likely going to get punched, Rule number 2) you are likely going to bleed, Rule 3) in fighting, there are no rules, there are only losers and winners. (I am sure there is going to be someone here come out of the woodwork arguing that when there is a fight both parties lose...I would rather be the loser still standing if that's the case)
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Sylvia Plath wrote:
    phone guy wrote:
    I have seen one of your kids open carry at Dixies's BBQ.
    That is a better deterrent than pepper spray.
    Just make sure your kids don't have that PS in school.
    I am sure there are people that hover over this chatroom to see what we gun-toters chat about and they are probably crapping themselves right now thinking that you are saying that my kids carry handguns

    They are not allowed to carry it at school.* There they have been taught to either find an instructor if there is trouble, if that fails or they do not have the chance to I have taught them to fight.* Rule number 1) you are likely going to get punched, Rule number 2) you are likely going to bleed, Rule 3) in fighting, there are no rules, there are only losers and winners. (I am sure there is going to be someone here come out of the woodwork arguing that when there is a fight both parties lose...I would rather be the loser still standing if that's the case)

    Sorry about that Sylvia. Just to make this official this is what one of your kids had at the BBQ.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI

  6. #6
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    phone guy wrote:
    Sorry about that Sylvia. Just to make this official this is what one of your kids had at the BBQ.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI

    THAT is freaking awesome! Anything that requires a child to be removed from bubble-wrap is demonized these days.

    At the 2nd Amendment march, if we go, I hope to get the kids some rifles to carry.


    *BTW* I am sure Brady-types crap their pants every time they see videos like that.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Sylvia Plath wrote:
    phone guy wrote:
    Sorry about that Sylvia. Just to make this official this is what one of your kids had at the BBQ.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI

    THAT is freaking awesome!* Anything that requires a child to be removed from bubble-wrap is demonized these days.

    At the 2nd Amendment march, if we go, I hope to get the kids some rifles to carry.


    *BTW* I am sure Brady-types crap their pants every time they see videos like that.
    Also make sure your kids are wearing safty glasses in school. Its now the law. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-ruling.html

  8. #8
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    It's getting expensive to send the kids to school these days between the shirts with no wording on them...the bubble-wrap they have to be wrapped in every day and now safety goggles! What's next, NO THINKING? Wait, they already require that.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Oh I forgot one last thing. You can not play with your kids at the playground. Sorry these are the ruleshttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223528/Parents-banned-supervising-children-playgrounds--case-paedophiles.html

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    Here are the rules in the USA about making sure your kids are safe in play groundshttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site139/2008/0924/20080924_082356_momkid.jpg

  11. #11
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398

    Post imported post

    A couple weeks ago my gf was followed by some whackass guy after she got off the school bus, she ran home and he tried to follow but stopped after a bit.

    Once I heard that I got super pissed, and the best I could do was take her to army navy surplus bought all the sizes of pepper spray, large for by her front door, medium in her backpack, and small for her pocket. If I didn't care about her getting in trouble, I'd hook her up with a handgun, but that could get us in big trouble.

    It's nice that the law has a preemption for spray devices, 14 and old with parent permission.

    After getting her the spray, went over drills and situations, ways to walk down the street, blah blah etc.

    Whoop some stalker ass in south seattle yo!:celebrate


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    Just be aware of the wind!
    Live Free or Die!

  13. #13
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    I have peppersprayed two people...on two seperate occassions....look out for the overspray for sure.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  14. #14
    Regular Member OrangeIsTrouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tukwila, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,398

    Post imported post

    I have pepper sprayed (it was a one time use gas ones) myself on accident , and have been pepper sprayed point blank by a cheap one. I don't underestimate cheap pepper spray no moezzz. :shock:


    Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

    Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

  15. #15
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278

    Post imported post

    My first pepperspray victim was a drunk man who grabbed me and when I broke free came at me (I cried because I felt bad that I had to pepperspray him and he looked miserable sitting on the ground waiting for the ambulence).

    My second victim was a man at a QFC who pulled a knife out at a couple of security guards who had him cornered. I walked over and peppersprayed him, and myself in the process. The man ran out the door and was struck by a car....it was not a good night for him, apparently he should have stayed home that night instead of shoplifting and lunging at people with a knife (I didn't cry that time. He got what was coming to him).
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  16. #16
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    Sylvia Plath wrote:
    I am curious about this and have found nothing on the books about it. Is it legal for my 12 year old to carry pepperspray?

    I bought pepperspray for my twelve year old for when her and the eleven year old walk to the grocery store just up the road here. The walk to the store is a block and a half (the grocer is in the neighborhood) but that is just far enough though. I instructed both of them when and how to use the pepperspray and what to do if/when the police arrive and we are not around...i.e. "call my mom."

    I decided to let her carry it when they go to the mall or the grocery store after much debate. Both children are extremely responsible and that is not to say that they will never make mistakes but I believe the likelihood that they use the pepperspray in an inappropriate manner is much less likely than if they were to use it for its intended purpose.

    Hopefully I am not incriminating myself right this moment

    LOL, I just ansered my own question:




    (1) It is unlawful for a person under eighteen years old, unless the person is at least fourteen years old and has the permission of a parent or guardian to do so, to purchase or possess a personal protection spray device. A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.


    --Now the question iswhat to do about what I have found. Sinceif the child is under 14 they are not at risk of being attacked or obducted?I wonder why they chose 14--probably threw a dart at a dart board and wrote it into the law
    This is in no way legal advice, but the old adage "what people don't know won't hurt them."

    I would under NO CIRCUMSTANCES advice you to circumvent the law or enable children under the age of 14 years old to possess and be prepared to use pepper spray in their defense. I would also under NO CIRCUMSTANCES recommend that they keep it on the down low, nor would I recommend that if the spraying was justified that a judge might throw it out.

    That would be a crime.

    I also do not recommend under any circumstances that persons with Concealed Pistol Licenses carry to their place of work and/or colleges. I would also not recommend that they keep it on the down low.


    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  17. #17
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    I was looking at pepper sprays as a defense tool for a couple of my female family members and found the Pepper Blaster at
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/product.php?xProd=2

    It claims

    The Pepper Blaster is effective at distances up to 13 feet. At 90 MPH, the charge travels too fast for an aggressor to avoid. Effect is immediate, and lasts up to 45 minutes
    Video at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik4rc...layer_embedded

    I would recommend shopping around for a better price then the manufacture is offering.




    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  18. #18
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    Sylvia wait until she turns 14 and then follow through, if you feel they maybe a danger by walking to the store then consider walking with them.

    Killchain your not recommending to do this and you imply you are is not a good move.

    Here again we are giving the anti's reason to be concerned about the maturity or lawfulness of those who carry.

    If we want to be viewed as Law Abiding Citizens then we need to walk the walk and talk the talk.

    The Law of Necessity will not apply here either.

    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  19. #19
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    Sylvia wait until she turns 14 and then follow through, if you feel they maybe a danger by walking to the store then consider walking with them.

    Killchain your not recommending to do this and you imply you are is not a good move.

    Here again we are giving the anti's reason to be concerned about the maturity or lawfulness of those who carry.

    If we want to be viewed as Law Abiding Citizens then we need to walk the walk and talk the talk.

    The Law of Necessity will not apply here either.
    I didn't recommend it!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  20. #20
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    killchain wrote:
    BigDave wrote:
    Sylvia wait until she turns 14 and then follow through, if you feel they maybe a danger by walking to the store then consider walking with them.

    Killchain your not recommending to do this and you imply you are is not a good move.

    Here again we are giving the anti's reason to be concerned about the maturity or lawfulness of those who carry.

    If we want to be viewed as Law Abiding Citizens then we need to walk the walk and talk the talk.

    The Law of Necessity will not apply here either.
    I didn't recommend it!
    Oh Okay! WINK WINK, give me a break.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  21. #21
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    killchain wrote:
    BigDave wrote:
    Sylvia wait until she turns 14 and then follow through, if you feel they maybe a danger by walking to the store then consider walking with them.

    Killchain your not recommending to do this and you imply you are is not a good move.

    Here again we are giving the anti's reason to be concerned about the maturity or lawfulness of those who carry.

    If we want to be viewed as Law Abiding Citizens then we need to walk the walk and talk the talk.

    The Law of Necessity will not apply here either.
    I didn't recommend it!
    Oh Okay! WINK WINK, give me a break.
    I'm starting to like you, like in a "grumpy big brother" sort of way.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  22. #22
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463

    Post imported post

    killchain wrote:
    BigDave wrote:
    Oh Okay! WINK WINK, give me a break.
    I'm starting to like you, like in a "grumpy big brother" sort of way.
    You miss interpreted what I said " You are suggesting to ignore the lank in a subversive manner which is supporting to violate the law". By the way the WINK WINK was sarcasm!:shock:

    As you can see from the news, they do read these forums and pickup bits and pieces and then use them as they want to twist the impressions of those who carry by others.

    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  23. #23
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    Just be aware of the wind!
    Especially "breaking wind":what:
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  24. #24
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    BigDave wrote:
    killchain wrote:
    BigDave wrote:
    Oh Okay! WINK WINK, give me a break.
    I'm starting to like you, like in a "grumpy big brother" sort of way.
    You miss interpreted what I said " You are suggesting to ignore the lank in a subversive manner which is supporting to violate the law". By the way the WINK WINK was sarcasm!:shock:

    As you can see from the news, they do read these forums and pickup bits and pieces and then use them as they want to twist the impressions of those who carry by others.
    This guy brought a rain coat!

    Don't you worry Dave. I won't let my future daughter who is under 14 years of age pepper spray an assailant. I'll make sure she quotes the law as she is being accosted. I follow the law!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •