• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal for the olderst to carry pepperspray

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

I am curious about this and have found nothing on the books about it. Is it legal for my 12 year old to carry pepperspray?

I bought pepperspray for my twelve year old for when her and the eleven year old walk to the grocery store just up the road here. The walk to the store is a block and a half (the grocer is in the neighborhood) but that is just far enough though. I instructed both of them when and how to use the pepperspray and what to do if/when the police arrive and we are not around...i.e. "call my mom."

I decided to let her carry it when they go to the mall or the grocery store after much debate. Both children are extremely responsible and that is not to say that they will never make mistakes but I believe the likelihood that they use the pepperspray in an inappropriate manner is much less likely than if they were to use it for its intended purpose.

Hopefully I am not incriminating myself right this moment :banghead:

LOL, I just ansered my own question:

[/b](1) It is unlawful for a person under eighteen years old, unless the person is at least fourteen years old and has the permission of a parent or guardian to do so, to purchase or possess a personal protection spray device. A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

--Now the question iswhat to do about what I have found. Sinceif the child is under 14 they are not at risk of being attacked or obducted?I wonder why they chose 14--probably threw a dart at a dart board and wrote it into the law:banghead:

phoneguy

imported post

I have seen one of your kids open carry at Dixies's BBQ.
That is a better deterrent than pepper spray.
Just make sure your kids don't have that PS in school.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

phone guy wrote:

I am sure there are people that hover over this chatroom to see what we gun-toters chat about and they are probably crapping themselves right now thinking that you are saying that my kids carry handguns :lol:

They are not allowed to carry it at school. There they have been taught to either find an instructor if there is trouble, if that fails or they do not have the chance to I have taught them to fight. Rule number 1) you are likely going to get punched, Rule number 2) you are likely going to bleed, Rule 3) in fighting, there are no rules, there are only losers and winners. (I am sure there is going to be someone here come out of the woodwork arguing that when there is a fight both parties lose...I would rather be the loser still standing if that's the case;))

phoneguy

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
phone guy wrote:

I am sure there are people that hover over this chatroom to see what we gun-toters chat about and they are probably crapping themselves right now thinking that you are saying that my kids carry handguns :lol:

They are not allowed to carry it at school.  There they have been taught to either find an instructor if there is trouble, if that fails or they do not have the chance to I have taught them to fight.  Rule number 1) you are likely going to get punched, Rule number 2) you are likely going to bleed, Rule 3) in fighting, there are no rules, there are only losers and winners. (I am sure there is going to be someone here come out of the woodwork arguing that when there is a fight both parties lose...I would rather be the loser still standing if that's the case;))

Sorry about that Sylvia. Just to make this official this is what one of your kids had at the BBQ.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

phone guy wrote:
Sorry about that Sylvia. Just to make this official this is what one of your kids had at the BBQ.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9ojNddiSI

THAT is freaking awesome! Anything that requires a child to be removed from bubble-wrap is demonized these days.

At the 2nd Amendment march, if we go, I hope to get the kids some rifles to carry.

*BTW* I am sure Brady-types crap their pants every time they see videos like that.

phoneguy

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
phone guy wrote:

THAT is freaking awesome!  Anything that requires a child to be removed from bubble-wrap is demonized these days.

At the 2nd Amendment march, if we go, I hope to get the kids some rifles to carry.

*BTW* I am sure Brady-types crap their pants every time they see videos like that.

Also make sure your kids are wearing safty glasses in school. Its now the law. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-play-conkers-school-nanny-state-ruling.html

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

It's getting expensive to send the kids to school these days between the shirts with no wording on them...the bubble-wrap they have to be wrapped in every day and now safety goggles! What's next, NO THINKING? Wait, they already require that.

phoneguy

imported post

Oh I forgot one last thing. You can not play with your kids at the playground. Sorry these are the ruleshttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223528/Parents-banned-supervising-children-playgrounds--case-paedophiles.html

phoneguy

imported post

Here are the rules in the USA about making sure your kids are safe in play groundshttp://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site139/2008/0924/20080924_082356_momkid.jpg

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

A couple weeks ago my gf was followed by some whackass guy after she got off the school bus, she ran home and he tried to follow but stopped after a bit.

Once I heard that I got super pissed, and the best I could do was take her to army navy surplus bought all the sizes of pepper spray, large for by her front door, medium in her backpack, and small for her pocket. If I didn't care about her getting in trouble, I'd hook her up with a handgun, but that could get us in big trouble.

It's nice that the law has a preemption for spray devices, 14 and old with parent permission.

After getting her the spray, went over drills and situations, ways to walk down the street, blah blah etc.

Whoop some stalker ass in south seattle yo!:celebrate

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I have pepper sprayed (it was a one time use gas ones) myself on accident ;), and have been pepper sprayed point blank by a cheap one. I don't underestimate cheap pepper spray no moezzz. :shock:

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

My first pepperspray victim was a drunk man who grabbed me and when I broke free came at me (I cried because I felt bad that I had to pepperspray him and he looked miserable sitting on the ground waiting for the ambulence).

My second victim was a man at a QFC who pulled a knife out at a couple of security guards who had him cornered. I walked over and peppersprayed him, and myself in the process. The man ran out the door and was struck by a car....it was not a good night for him, apparently he should have stayed home that night instead of shoplifting and lunging at people with a knife (I didn't cry that time. He got what was coming to him).

killchain

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
I am curious about this and have found nothing on the books about it. Is it legal for my 12 year old to carry pepperspray?

I bought pepperspray for my twelve year old for when her and the eleven year old walk to the grocery store just up the road here. The walk to the store is a block and a half (the grocer is in the neighborhood) but that is just far enough though. I instructed both of them when and how to use the pepperspray and what to do if/when the police arrive and we are not around...i.e. "call my mom."

I decided to let her carry it when they go to the mall or the grocery store after much debate. Both children are extremely responsible and that is not to say that they will never make mistakes but I believe the likelihood that they use the pepperspray in an inappropriate manner is much less likely than if they were to use it for its intended purpose.

Hopefully I am not incriminating myself right this moment :banghead:

LOL, I just ansered my own question:

(1) It is unlawful for a person under eighteen years old, unless the person is at least fourteen years old and has the permission of a parent or guardian to do so, to purchase or possess a personal protection spray device. A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

--Now the question iswhat to do about what I have found. Sinceif the child is under 14 they are not at risk of being attacked or obducted?I wonder why they chose 14--probably threw a dart at a dart board and wrote it into the law:banghead:
This is in no way legal advice, but the old adage "what people don't know won't hurt them."

I would under NO CIRCUMSTANCES advice you to circumvent the law or enable children under the age of 14 years old to possess and be prepared to use pepper spray in their defense. I would also under NO CIRCUMSTANCES recommend that they keep it on the down low, nor would I recommend that if the spraying was justified that a judge might throw it out.

That would be a crime.

I also do not recommend under any circumstances that persons with Concealed Pistol Licenses carry to their place of work and/or colleges. I would also not recommend that they keep it on the down low.

;)

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I was looking at pepper sprays as a defense tool for a couple of my female family members and found the Pepper Blaster at
http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/product.php?xProd=2

It claims

The Pepper Blaster is effective at distances up to 13 feet. At 90 MPH, the charge travels too fast for an aggressor to avoid. Effect is immediate, and lasts up to 45 minutes
Video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik4rc_5ZkwI&feature=player_embedded

I would recommend shopping around for a better price then the manufacture is offering.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Sylvia wait until she turns 14 and then follow through, if you feel they maybe a danger by walking to the store then consider walking with them.

Killchain your not recommending to do this and you imply you are is not a good move.

Here again we are giving the anti's reason to be concerned about the maturity or lawfulness of those who carry.

If we want to be viewed as Law Abiding Citizens then we need to walk the walk and talk the talk.

The Law of Necessity will not apply here either.

killchain

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Sylvia wait until she turns 14 and then follow through, if you feel they maybe a danger by walking to the store then consider walking with them.

Killchain your not recommending to do this and you imply you are is not a good move.

Here again we are giving the anti's reason to be concerned about the maturity or lawfulness of those who carry.

If we want to be viewed as Law Abiding Citizens then we need to walk the walk and talk the talk.

I didn't recommend it!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

killchain wrote:
BigDave wrote:

I didn't recommend it!
Oh Okay! ;) WINK WINK, give me a break.