• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wall Street Journal - Gun advocates open a new front, open carry leading the way

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704508904575192162324152350.html?KEYWORDS=Saying+NRA+Isn%27t+Imaginative+Splinter+Groups+Seek+More+Aggressive+Tactics

SNIP

Gun Advocates Open a New Front
Saying NRA Isn't Imaginative, Splinter Groups Seek More Aggressive Tactics
By VANESSA O'CONNELL

Some gun owners, saying that the National Rifle Association isn't battling hard enough for their rights, are taking the fight into their own hands.

The 4.3 million-member NRA, one of the most powerful and well-funded lobbying groups in Washington, has for 35 years dominated the push to expand gun rights.

But its strategies aren't aggressive or imaginative enough for some gun owners who want to openly carry holstered pistols in public places, or to exploit loopholes in state gun laws to purchase semi-automatic rifles.

They are coming together in smaller, loosely organized groups that recruit on the Internet . . .

The NRA is "no longer absolutely the 800-pound gorilla" in the pro-gun movement, said Gary Marbut, a life member of the NRA and president of the Montana Shooting Sports Association, an NRA affiliate. "The NRA is running the risk of becoming insignificant, of fading into the background."

. . .

To be sure, the rise of the new groups hasn't hurt the NRA in terms of membership or revenue. Fueled by an increase in gun ownership, its membership is 25% to 30% above typical levels during the tenure of President George W. Bush. Altogether, an estimated 80 million people in the U.S. own guns.

The NRA's political action committee has taken in $10.25 million for the 2010 elections, and ranks sixth in terms of receipts among all federally registered PACs, according to data from the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks Federal Election Commission disclosures. The NRA's total revenue, including member dues, investment income and contributions, rose to $307 million in 2009, from $268 million a year earlier.

"The NRA approval ratings are the highest they have ever been," said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. Gun ownership "is a freedom the overwhelming majority of Americans support," he said. "There's different voices under that umbrella of freedom. And that's a good thing."

. . .

But Ben Cannon, 29, of Healdsburg, Calif., a founding member of the board of Calguns Inc., an Internet-based organization founded in 2002, said some younger gun owners felt that because the NRA must cater to all gun owners, it didn't embrace their own interests enough.

Calguns aims to fashion itself as a hipper pro-gun group. It has two entities—a free Web forum with 40,000 registered members that makes revenue from advertising, and a two-year-old nonprofit arm that raises money through donations. Most supporters are in their 20s and 30s, college-educated and urban dwelling.

. . .

Another alternative group gaining momentum with young gun owners is Opencarry.org, a six-year-old Internet-based organization with an estimated 22,000 registered users dedicated to openly carrying handguns in public in the 43 states where doing so is legal.

The open-carry movement has succeeded in small yet visible ways. Businesses, including Starbucks Corp. coffee shops, have resisted pressure from gun-control advocates to ban the practice in their stores.

. . .

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
. . .

Another alternative group gaining momentum with young gun owners is Opencarry.org, a six-year-old Internet-based organization with an estimated 22,000 registered users dedicated to openly carrying handguns in public in the 43 states where doing so is legal.

The open-carry movement has succeeded in small yet visible ways. Businesses, including Starbucks Corp. coffee shops, have resisted pressure from gun-control advocates to ban the practice in their stores.

. . .

Wow. WSJ.

OCDO is indeed having great success in advancing gun carry rights across the land, especially OC.

Kudos to Mike, John, and others who were part of the early OCDO and who represent it well today. It's a really big success story.

I don't know about the 22,000 registered users business. That's obviously not a good measure of the actual OCDO membership.

eye95

imported post

The simple fact of the matter is that 22,000 people have taken the time to register.

We have 22,343 members, 39,805 topics, 717,026 posts. Please welcome our newest member ...

Yeah, some have been trolls. Some have even been intellectually honest opponents of OC. However, 22,000 is still an excellent estimate of the number of people who have signed up with a genuine interest in the cause here. I am sure that thousands have lurked regularly and not signed up, even though they are in accord with OC

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Wow and I can remember when we split off from the old packing.org. How far we have come.

TFred

imported post

But its strategies aren't aggressive or imaginative enough for some gun owners who
want to openly carry holstered pistols in public places, or to exploit loopholes in
state gun laws to purchase
semi-automatic rifles.
What is this talking about? Not exactly a neutral or objective sentence.

TFred

okboomer

imported post

TFred wrote:
But its strategies aren't aggressive or imaginative enough for some gun owners who
want to openly carry holstered pistols in public places, or to exploit loopholes in
state gun laws to purchase
semi-automatic rifles.
What is this talking about? Not exactly a neutral or objective sentence.

TFred
Yeah, that one bothered me also ... other than Kalifornia, is there any state where anyone has to exploit any loopholes to purchase a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE?

Some serious fear-mongering going on there!

KansasMustang

imported post

But its strategies aren't aggressive or imaginative enough for some gun owners who want to openly carry holstered pistols in public places, or to exploit loopholes in state gun laws to purchase semi-automatic rifles.

Loopholes?? what loopholes??:banghead: We don't need no steenking loopholes. These lamestream idiot reporters drive me absolutely crazy!!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

WSJ wrote:
. . .

. . .

It's interesting that O'Connell used "young" as a modifier to OCDO-represented gun owners. She's perceptive.

There has been a trend toward a younger crowd around here in the last year or so. Few things seem tomake an 18 or 19-year old more enthusiastic than the realization that they can legally carry a firearm, handgun or long gun, without a license or training in some states. Just get the gun--and go.

Hey, it's a good thing that our youth is interested in firearms, right?

And the more gun carriers we have, the better it is for all of us.

Right?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HankT wrote:
It's interesting that O'Connell used "young" as a modifier to OCDO-represented gun owners. She's perceptive.

There has been a trend toward a younger crowd around here in the last year or so. Few things seem tomake an 18 or 19-year old more enthusiastic than the realization that they can legally carry a firearm, handgun or long gun, without a license or training in some states. Just get the gun--and go.
Speaking of young people, I think that the aparent concealed only focus of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus has hurt their abilitiy to recruit members and student interest - many or most college students would be interested in learning about gun rights if they had a way to participate but as most states require folks to be 21+ to get a concealed permit, and by then college students are focussed on graduating and getting a job to pay student loans, civic activism is pretty low on their list of priorities.

While a policy focus on removing barriers to concealed carry on campus for students is fine, perhaps the group should consider holding soe open carry events off campus so more students could participate in a tangible way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
HankT wrote:

Speaking of young people, I think that the aparent concealed only focus of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus has hurt their abilitiy to recruit members and student interest - many or most college students would be interested in learning about gun rights if they had a way to participate but as most states require folks to be 21+ to get a concealed permit, and by then college students are focussed on graduating and getting a job to pay student loans, civic activism is pretty low on their list of priorities.

While a policy focus on removing barriers to concealed carry on campus for students is fine, perhaps the group should consider holding soe open carry events off campus so more students could participate in a tangible way.

So very true! The SCCC while well intended and working under difficult circumstances has limited their focus on but one aspect of carry. Expanding their horizons cannot but help them.

IMO an anti open carry stance (Texas) did measurable harm to them.

Yata hey

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Young? I'm 62 years old, a Vietnam vet, a registered member of OCDO, but not the NRA.

What's the NRA's position of fighting the states (and the subdivisions thereof) to obey existing law concerning open carry? Huh? Huh? Dead silence.

What's the NRA's position of fighting the federal government concerning ATF abuses? Huh? Huh? Dead silence.

What's the NRA's position, any position, on the various Firearms Freedom acts passed by several state governments? Huh? Huh? Dead silence.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

eye95 wrote:
The simple fact of the matter is that 22,000 people have taken the time to register.

We have 22,343 members, 39,805 topics, 717,026 posts. Please welcome our newest member ...

Yeah, some have been trolls. Some have even been intellectually honest opponents of OC. However, 22,000 is still an excellent estimate of the number of people who have signed up with a genuine interest in the cause here. I am sure that thousands have lurked regularly and not signed up, even though they are in accord with OC

Nah, 22,000 for "registered users" or"registered members"("with a genuine interest in the cause here") is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy overstated.Your "simple fact" is not correct. Just take a look at the membership list.

I think I've seen an adjusted/estimated number of 8,000 or so from Mike.

lil_freak_66

imported post

she spent the whole day at cabelas in MI interviewing open carriers there that setup a table with OC info,and taking pics...and thats all she wrote??

better than nothing i suppose,and its not a horribly bad article.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HankT wrote:
Nah, 22,000 for "registered users" or"registered members" ("with a genuine interest in the cause here") is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy overstated.Your "simple fact" is not correct. Just take a look at the membership list.

I think I've seen an adjusted/estimated number of 8,000 or so from Mike.
I don't think I ever said that - John recently "pruned" are membership from 29,000+ down to 22,000 - apparently he can kill off members who registered but rarely ever posted or are spambots...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Freightdog wrote:
exploit loopholes in state gun laws to purchase semi-automatic rifles.
If there are any loopholes out there, I want to know about them! :lol:
Since "loophole" means any legal means, all of my guns are purchased accordingly.

Yata hey